My Dilemma

Ryaniswonka

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi, everyone! I'd first off like to say that I love the live shows! Getting a live forum to talk about the iPhone/iPad is great! Unfortunately, my problem is a little long-winded for the chat, so I'll resort to the ol' forum.

I currently have an iPhone 3G on the AT&T Failwork, of course with the $30 unlimited data plan. I'm aware that the existing plans will be grandfathered in to the next iPhone upgrades if we choose to keep them.

That's all fine and dandy, except my phone won't be ready for upgrade on the release date! HOWEVER, another line on our family plan is eligible for upgrade, but that line is not an iPhone, nor is it even a smartphone with data plan. I was hoping, and have never done this, to be able to use the upgrade on that line, and swap out SIMs to use the new iPhone on my line. I had heard that I can still sign up for an unlimited plan up to June 6th, thereafter, we're forced to use the new AT&T data rates.

My ultimate goal is to have the next gen iPhone on my current line and still retain my existing data plan. I don't want to downgrade to the new data plans and I'm hoping that AT&T won't infringe upon me being able to buy the new iPhone and attach it to my line/existing data plan.

Any suggestions??? I need all your help in how I should go about doing this.

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
If I read that correctly it looks like a non-issue.

As I understand it so long as current iPhone users don't change anything they can retain their $30 unlimited data plans if/when they upgrade to the new iPhone.

If you don't need the $20 tethering option then you don't need to worry about this.

Keep paying $30 for your unlimited data and when it's time to upgrade you'll be able to upgrade to the new iPhone and retain the unlimited data plan.

Ryaniswonka

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Right, peanutgallery. My problem is a little deeper than that, though. My line won't be available to upgrade when the next iPhone is released, but another line on our plan will! I'm wanting to purchase the next iPhone on that line to avoid early contract renewal fees, but swap the SIM cards so I may use it on my line.

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
I re-read it and so long as you don't mind waiting to get the new iPhone until your upgrade date then you should be ok.

If you want the new model when it's released you could possibly upgrade the elligible line right now with a 3GS, get the $30 unlimited data. Return the phone within 30 days and get the new model. Take it home and swap out the sims and you theoretically will have the new phone, with your #, with unlimited data. The other line on the account will then be saddled with the $30 unlimited data plan though too.

Ryaniswonka

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Alright. I just got back from a local AT&T store. I asked one of the employees about what may happen if I did do the swap, whether my unlimited plan would stay or if it would downgrade to one of the newer plans for data. She said that the unlimited plan would remain on my line. I think the reason for this is because the other line with my old iPhone would be on the newer data plan under the 2 year contract. I certainly hope she's right... After this weekend, peanutgallery's advice for an older phone on the other line will no longer be feasible (to retain the unlimited data plan).

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
U are grandfathered in on ur unlimited data plan, no matter when ur eligible for an upgrade. Only NEW lines of service after Monday won't have unlimited data. Ur good

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I would upgrade the eligible line ten switch the sims. It won't matter- you aren't cheating them. Then just pay for the smallest plan on the line than you aren't using for your phone. In this case, the new rates will work to your advantage. You will just have two iPhones. I guess that means you will now always have an iPhone able to upgrade every year. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2