Suggestions for weak wifi signal?

sirius

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
I've got a 3GS, and it always gets a really poor wifi signal. At one point I would have to manually re-connect to our home wifi network every time I woke the phone from sleep. I haven't had to do that since we upgraded our wireless router (to a frickin' expensive one), but this would happen even with the phone 10 feet from the router.

My roommate and I did a test; we both turned off wifi, then turned it on. Holding our phones next to each other (he's got a 3G, mine's a 3GS), standing five feet from the router, he had max signal, mine was 2/3rds full.

Even with our new fancy router, I barely get a signal (just a dot) if I'm on the floor below the wifi router (like directly below, maybe 15 feet away). It's an old house, all wood frame, so it shouldn't have that much effect (and again, my roommate gets a great signal).

Any ideas or suggestions?

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
yeah, that sounds like an issue with the phone itself

just so you know, fancy doesn't mean it sends a signal any further or with more power than the old one.

sirius

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
What I mean by "fancy" is a dual band router with a 3 x 3 antenna configuration, so yes it's got considerably better range, as well as higher bandwidth at range. We did significant research before getting this one.

I've reset the phone and am setting it up now. Thanks for the replies guys.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
What I mean by "fancy" is a dual band router with a 3 x 3 antenna configuration, so yes it's got considerably better range, as well as higher bandwidth at range. We did significant research before getting this one.

That's definitely the right kind of fancy.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Weak Wi-Fi signal is a common complaint that started with the initial release of 3.0 and hasn't gotten markedly better since. I have an AEBS that showed the same issue with my 3Gs. I've had my phone replaced twice for different issues and the AEBS replaced once for warranty issues. Wi-Fi signal strength still varies from time to time. I can be 2 ft. away and get 1 bar or be in my bedroom and get full strength. Odd. I would try your phone at other Wi-Fi enabled locations and check the signal strength.

sirius

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it has anything to do with WLAN channels... Oh well, I reset my iPhone, when I get home I'll see how the connection is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2