Google Voice and VOIP on iPhone

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I am trying to find a solution to making calls when I am stuck at a place that has WiFi but no cellular signal (like at a local hospital). I have Google Voice (GV) with its own number and an iPhone on ATT.

I am already planning to use GV for outgoing international calls. However, VOIP solutions for the iPhone (like Skype, iCall) incur additional costs for calls to landlines, domestic and international.

I have plenty of cellular minutes and I don't need to pay Skype etc for VOIP on the iPhone under normal circumstances.

What is the best way to make and receive calls on the iPhone when I have WiFi but no cellular coverage?

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Fring works well. For making calls. I'm trying to find out how to recieve calls myself. I ave a Gizmo5 account too

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
GV does not make calls. It has to have a service like Skype, Gizmodo5 (which you can not get anymore), or your Cell Provider. GV only acts like an Answering service. Another service has to be the "carrier".

Skype is actually quite reasonable for this.(WiFi) You can get several different plans to different Countries that average about $6-$8 per month for Unlimited use. I think they even have a PAYG (pay as you go) or Usage plan.

That is what I would recommend.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
At this point, having tons and tons of unused minutes of airtime, I am not inclined to pay an additional $/mo for the rare situation where I am without ATT's cellular coverage.

I'll continue to use GV for call management, free SMS, and cheap international calls.

dawggg63

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I use pay as you go Skype for international calls, and find it very reasonable. Connection fee is about 5 cents and usage is about 1/4 cent/min. Minutes expire six months after last usage (not six months after loading). Great solution for your situation.

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
The best way is still the UMA but not available on iPhone yet, It is on the blackberry 8900, what's cool about UMA is that it will use you'r own minutes.

This is correct. Basically what I used to do at work. Unless you want to carry your pager which can often penetrate walls much better than a 3g signal. Additionally you could try going to edge.

iPhone does not work well as a wifi caller because it can't run apps in the background. If it could run skype, fring, or vonagr in the background then you could set up a system where you could receive calls through wifi. Otherwise really like the previous poster said a bb8900 or 9700 on tmi with uma is your best bet. Or you could do what I did and demand they put repeaters in the hospital.