not sure if i'm doing the right thing .... need help
My stats :-
1. I'm using an iphone 3Gs.
2. Living in Hong Kong - but my network does not support 3G.
3. I receive close to 120 - 150 emails per day - many of them with quite heavy attachments.
4. I travel overseas v.frequently - almost every week.
5. I use ONLY 1 POP3 email a/c.
- - - - -
1. I noticed that sometimes the emails download quite fast .. sometimes even only text emails take time to load up - perhaps something to do with the network.
2. I also realised that i have no control over how an email attachment downloads - sometimes the attachments downloads - sometimes they download if i click on the icon. Locally its fine.. overseas, it adds up to a heavy bill.
* * What i wanted was some way to get notified of emails faster than the current pre-sent of 15 min
* * Plus i wanted some way to control my overseas roaming bills..
MY SOLUTION - this is where i'm stuck - i need to know if there's a better way :-
1. Auto forwarded all my emails to a gmail a/c.
2. Subscribed to mail notifer - that way i get almost instant notifications.
3. Installed Gmail for iphone on my iphone.
So now, when i travel,
a I turn off the email downloads
b When i get the notification,i simply click on the Gmail icon - and check and reply my emails online...
Can anybody relate to this .. or offer some advice if i can improve on this...
thank you very much for the help.
- 01-26-2010, 12:01 AM #2
Thank you for your help..
1. I tried mobileme - its fantastic.. but, i could not use my current email id for replies .. so i had to give it up.
2. Mail Notifier is reasonably ok ... until something better comes along..
3. As mentioned in my 1st post, i also had a problem with email attachments and was going online to check emails when out of town... is there any better solution to that..?
- 01-26-2010, 12:59 AM #4
- 01-26-2010, 01:00 AM #5
Sorry, i'm not sure if i understand your posts well..
1. Mobileme - u cannot change the outgoing server in mobileme - tried it - does'nt work.
2. POP3 a/c
- - i've forwarded it to gmail.
- - but in gmail, i've set my outgoing server as my 1 email id so its ok.
I only use 1 email a/c - pop3.
- 01-26-2010, 01:54 AM #7
you can change the outgoing server with MobileMe, now I am not sure you can change the address that the person sees it is coming from...
Does not Gmail offer push mail? Also I think Yahoo offers push mail
Push mail equals instant notification
Thank you for taking so much trouble to reply.... deeply appreciate..
1. Push - my main problem is not with push - because Mail Notifier is working quite well. With mobileme, when i tried it, it did not allow me to show my pop3 email id.
2. Email attachments - when roaming
a I travel v.frequently and i dont see any way to control the download of attachments.
b Only thing i could do is set up to forward all my emails to gmail and then check my gmail (online - using the iphone browser) when i get notified of any new messages.
Is there any better way to reduce the roaming cost ...
Thanks a lot.
- 01-26-2010, 04:04 AM #9
- 01-26-2010, 12:38 PM #11