Will 3.1 be PRE-INSTALLED on iphones you buy now?

mwg3c

Dec 16, 2008
Visit site
I want to get the 3GS, but my worry is that the 3GS's will already be pre-installed with 3.1, meaning unlocking may never be possible (I'm assuming the jailbreak will be available soon, but not the unlock). With the new security precautions on the 3GS (iBEC, iBSS, and ECID) and the assumption that the baseband will not be unlockable anymore after the 3.1 upgrade, should we worry that this will prevent unlocking on the 3GS all together (if you haven't bought a 3GS and unlocked it up to this point)?

After 2.1 and 2.2 came out, did the iphones sold at the Apple store come pre-installed with that firmware, or did all the iphone's have 2.0 and it was the buyer's responsibility to upgrade? I'm hoping it's the buyers responsibility to upgrade since I'll need the iBEC, iBSS, and ECID information prior to upgrading to 3.1.

Any thoughts? Anyone else worried?

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
It all depends what inventory you happen to receive. If you find a place that has had them in stock for awhile then you will be fine. The longer you wait the les likely you will get one with 3.0 or 3.0.1. If you order it from Apple you will probably get 3.1 in it. So dont wait go get it. Remember you have 30 days to return it with a restocking fee of $25.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
3.1 was released yesterday. how will it have been pre-installed before release?

I didn't say it was. I was trying to point out the fact that 3.0.1 wasn't installed so that can give you an idea of the time range. There is probably about a month, maybe more to get a 3.0 or 3.0.1. The boxes come from China all wrapped up and ready to go. They most likely come in big containers which are shipped only like once a month or something. Then it has to be distributed to the stores through the different countries.

As others have said, the longer you wait the the greater chance of having a 3.1 device.

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
It will probaly take a few months for the current stovk to run out and then we will see Iphone & touches with 3.1 . I bet by the holidays season .

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2