Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Default How to KEEP tethering on 3.1

YOU MUST have tethering ENABELED before updating to 3.1 in iTunes. Leave it on and do your update. Once done it will stay and you are good to go

Note:
    • I used the help.BenM.at tethering hack. Before updating to 3.1. I had 3.0.1.
    • Had 3.0.1 prior to 3.1 and ran update and not restore.
    • if you do a RESTORE and not an update you will lose tethering.
    • I am running Snow Leopard and iTunes 9

Updated with screen shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to KEEP tethering on 3.1-img_0046-1-.png   How to KEEP tethering on 3.1-img_0047-1-.png  
    Last edited by wsaund; 09-10-2009 at 12:14 PM.

I've been hearing reports of this as well.
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    [ FOLLOW MY BLOG WHEN WILL APPLE ON TWITTER ] [ @whenwillapple ]
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Thank goodness I checked the blog!

*wipes forehead* I read this just as iTunes began syncing my phone for the update! I stopped it so I could turn on tethering. I few more minutes and I would have missed the opportunity! Thanks so much for the heads up!
    iPhone Nanite

Can we confirm this? I don't want to lose this ability.
    iPhone Nanite

i activated teathering before updating on a 3gs and lost the ability after update. i tried to delete the profile and reinstall the hack and still no luck anyone have any ideas as to how to make it work again
    iPhone Nanite

I'm hoping this is going to work. Seems like it could be a per-case, per-carrier kinda thing from what I'm seeing on Twitter.
    iPhone Nanite

Nope, I've lost tethering. O2-UK, 3GS
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by kapnclinton View Post
    Can we confirm this? I don't want to lose this ability.
    I did this on my iPhone and it works perfectly.
    iPhone Nanite

I am going to wait till i hear about more success than just one success
    iPhone Nanite

Default azazelwc - follow-up question

#5 azazelwc Did you have tethering turned on or just activated?
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

I had tethering turned OFF and did the update, and now its still there and works fine. Weird that people are having different results.
    iPhone Newbie

Had tethering turned on and active during entire update... and now it's gone!
    iPhone Beginner

i had teathering turned off for my update, but it is still there and working...
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by texags08 View Post
    i had teathering turned off for my update, but it is still there and working...
    Did you also use the help.BenM.at hack?
    iPhone Beginner

nope, never had to... I just installed the att_us.ipcc v5.o carrier file when i upgraded to 3.0 Gm acouple of months ago, i never had MMS or Vm working, but teathering always worked... when i upgraded to 3.1 everything was the same, but MMS and VM started working too...
    iPhone Nanite

Does anyone know if you have to BE tethering or just have it turned on???
    iPhone Nanite

Default Worked for me

Success! I didn't happen to have tethering turned on though I don't know if that mattered. 3.1 with tethering, Hallelujah!
    iPhone Nanite

Default How do I restore to 3.0

Lost tethering this am when updated to 3.1. I have 3.0 backed up on my desktop, how do I restore to 3.0?

Thanks,

james
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Enprize View Post
    Lost tethering this am when updated to 3.1. I have 3.0 backed up on my desktop, how do I restore to 3.0?

Thanks,

james
    You can't.......
    They invented this brand new thing in forums. It lets you search other threads for post related to your questions. But don't tell anyone

iPhone 4: 4.0.1
    iPhone 3GS: 4.0.1
    iPhone 3G: 3.1.3

Macbook Pro 2.5 (early '08) Snow Leopard.

Girls of Gaming Wallpaper
    iPhone Beginner

First time post Been reading the forum for a while as I bought my iPhone 3GS 32g in July. Myself such as everybody else here wants to be able to do more than what is already programmed.

I made the mistake of updating my phone to 3.1 w/o enabling the tether option first so needless to say i am stuck for now However my wife has the 3g 8gig second generation and last night right before she was going to upload 3.1 and I stopped her first. I enabled the tethering verified it was on and working then proceeded to upgrade to 3.1. After all was finished my tether option was gone. Where did I go wrong?
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by wsaund View Post
    You can't.......
    Yes you can.. come on. Just do a restore and select the old 3.0 ipsw file. Once your back to 3.0 do a jailbreak, then install fuzzyband and downgrade the baseband back to 04.26.08. Then if you don't want the jailbreak then just do a second restore of 3.0 again.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Did not work for me... :(

The iphone still shows PAN Network Access Profile in its capabilities. See: System Preferences -> Bluetooth -> click on iphone -> action menu (gear) -> Show More Info

but does not connect automatically when on usb. Attempting to connect via the action menu also fails.

Changing approach and going to Network Preferences and Bluetooth PAN is there but fails to connect. iPhone is also there (usb) but indicates that the cable is no plugged in or device is not responding. Mind you, it is plugged in and it is currently syncing. Always has been able to tether while syncing so don't believe that is the issue.
    iPhone Nanite

had it activated, turned on and tethered to the internet when I started the update. At end, no tethering
    iPhone Nanite

Default carrier settings

Tried to update the carrier settings with the ATT_US.ipcc file found various places on the internet. No joy...
    iPhone Nanite

tried to go to help.BenM.at and reload the policy setting. The previous policy was still there and it replaced it... no joy, tethering is not available yet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast