3G On Edge Off = no internet; 3G + Edge On = internet

excberry

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
i installed SBsettings to toggle Wifi, 3G, and Edge. i toggled wifi off.

when 3G is on and Edge off, i don't have internet. when both are on, i do have internet. why? i thought that 3G was sufficient for internet?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I've noticed this too. I don't know why this is, I think Edge has something to do with establishing the connection. However toggling Edge off will not save any battery anyway so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

excberry

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I've noticed this too. I don't know why this is, I think Edge has something to do with establishing the connection. However toggling Edge off will not save any battery anyway so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

well, this means that 3G doesn't work and i have to stick with edge so yah, i'm kinda worried. i uninstalled SBsettings, so now i have no way to toggle edge. but i did turn 3G on in the settings>about>network...

still, i have no internet even though i have full bars and an active 3G icon. i'm also in an area with 3G coverage. hm..

i will do a restore and see if this solves anything.

excberry

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
restoring the iphone via itunes restored 3g internet without wifi. i'm going to reinstall SBsettings without touching the edge toggle. we'll see if the internet works with 3G on with edge + wifi off.

h4rk

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
When you have a 3G connection, you are able to talk on the phone and pull data at the same time because iPhone can use both radios simultaneously. When EDGE is off, the iPhone may have a hard time working correctly because the regular iPhone software is not built to ever be able to disable the EDGE connection. It may be a bug related to this, but that is more of an educated guess than something I know for fact.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I do think there were warnings about toggling on/off EDGE. If you leave EDGE on and turn off 3G, you should have EDGE only internet speed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2