3GS Battery Life

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I have my screen at 50% brightness.

Yesterday I got 21 hours of standby and 4 hrs 30 minutes of heavy usage.

Quite pleased with the battery.. No longer even a concern.

theroamer

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
My 3gs has been ok with battery life but not great. I'm pretty sure some software fixes will improve the battery issues a lot of people are having.

sn328721

May 1, 2009
Visit site
It appears that Apple are on the case! They have an APP that monitors complete usage

Cannot paste link as i have not posted enough on the site so go to HardMac and search 3gs battery life

blane64

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Batteries need several charge cycles to reach their full potential. The 3GS hasn't been out long enough for anyone to really know. Last night I did my first full discharge to break in the battery (stayed up till 3:30AM trying everything I could think of to drain it faster!).

I was very disappointed with my battery yesterday, so i took this advice, and last night ran it down and recharged. MUCH improved today, and I am still in the "I love my new toy" stage and am fiddling with it all day....

beachboy808

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
It appears that Apple are on the case! They have an APP that monitors complete usage

Cannot paste link as i have not posted enough on the site so go to HardMac and search 3gs battery life

How do you get that application? That would be really interesting to see. Can you just download it from the App. store?

timberga

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
This is my first iPhone so I can't compare it to the 3G, but it can last half a day with 4-5hrs of data use, very little phone use. I have bluetooth & wifi turned off, brightness down to 1/5, 3G on, and today I turned off push and put the fetch setting under manual. I've only drained the battery to death the first day and since then I've been charging at 10%.

It takes some getting used to when you unplug it at 100% and after going online for a few minutes, you're down to 98%.

Today while taking the subway, I was reading a book on the iPhone and thought, why waste energy looking for a signal? So I put it in airplane mode while I was underground. I don't know how much battery life that saves, but I'm underground at least 40min a day.

So basically turn off all the features of the phone to use the phone.....that's what I don't want to end up doing!

beachboy808

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't know why, but for some reason my white 16GB iphone got horrible battery life. While browsing the internet in the car on the way to work I could deplete the battery by 10%. I just yesterday upgraded to the black, 32GB version and I am getting MUCH better battery life. Seems like some quality control was not going on to make sure all these batteries are good.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I had my music on all night and left it not charging cause I am an idiot.
Anyway when I woke up after about 12 hours of sleep I had 59% battery left.
It's actually kind of impressive to me.

sbrianw

Jun 6, 2009
twitter.com
My battery life is great. Unfortunately the battery % counter is of the devil. I really didn't pay much attention to the battery life until I found that thing.

iamtone

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Help! My battery life is trash and I called apple up and got this old guy who knew nuthin I want to download that battery log thing I think my battery is defective

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
Help! My battery life is trash and I called apple up and got this old guy who knew nuthin I want to download that battery log thing I think my battery is defective

Is BT, WiFi, and location on? Are there any apps that you might have on in the background hogging battery life? Try reseting the device holding the home button and power button at the same time until the system powers down and you get the apple logo.

iamtone

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm comparing the fact that I'm using my 3Gs the same way I used my 2g now I'm in week 2 week 1 I was playin with everything and my 2G seemed like it lasted longer for the day I mean this having to charge up at 2pm when I started using it at 9am is for the birds where I live at there is no 3g and I don't use Bluetooth I do heavy email and play on Internet but the same I did on my 2g push email and playin on internet

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I've got to charge my Storm daily. My best friend, who's an iphone user (3G, not S) always complains about his battery too. I think smart phones in general are tough on batteries and then when you add a large graphic rich screen, it can only get worse. I'm happy with 1 whole day on a charge thou, just got to remember to plug it in every night. Plus a spare battery helps too. :)

Last edited:

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
With the 3.0 upgrade alone the battery is not a problem anymore. With the 3GS it's even better.

Please stop complaining and also if you jailbreak your phone your battery will not last nearly as long.

I have spent months testing this out and I'm sick of people complaining.

rosselliot

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I have had similar problems with every iphone I've had. You just have to let it run ALL THE WAY out and then recharge fully for about 3-4x. Then - voila! It'll work like a charm!

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
With the 3.0 upgrade alone the battery is not a problem anymore. With the 3GS it's even better.

Please stop complaining and also if you jailbreak your phone your battery will not last nearly as long.

I have spent months testing this out and I'm sick of people complaining.

Ok, what exactly is it about jailbreaking that sucks power? I can see how certain modules (eg multitasking) might do it. Is there consensus on this in the group? I had the same suspicion under 2.x firmware so I un-JB'ed, but I thought I'd try again when 3.0 came out. I didn't gather any empirical data on battery life with and without JB. Does any such data exist?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Settings can help too, for example, turn off stuff not in use like wifi, gps & bluetooth. Turn down the backlight, etc