3G Screen vs 3GS Screen Color Tone?

briand

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone else who upgraded from the 3G noticed the color tone of the new (S) model is a bit different, more dim and yellowish. Brightness levels are the same on both phones. Not sure if this is normal.

nerio

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I notice that too... remember reading about that when the 3G came out and I think there was an update that corrected that for the 3G... maybe they'll do the same for the 3G S?

briand

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I went to AT&T store and compared my new phone to the one on display and the coloring was same so I guess my is not defective, the color is warmer especially noticeable when reading emails. The whites are not as blueish as they are on the older 2G and 3G models.

In screen settings I turned auto dim off and it looks brighter without raising the brightness levels.

It may be possible the color tone has to do with the new coating to minimize oily fingerprints. And might be slightly dimmer to conserve battery strength. Not a big deal I am sure I will get used to it.

MikeDVB

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I think it's likely on purpose. It's one of two things - reducing manufacturing price/cost savings or they felt it would be easier on the user.

I did notice the difference with them side to side but the 3G S screen isn't bad at all imho.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I didn't notice the difference til I did a side by side comparison. I thought it was just because I have Clear Coat on my 3G. To me the 3GS looks a little crisper,but that's probably to do with the Clear Coat more than anything.

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
I like it. I don't think of it as yellowish or dim (I tend to keep my brightness below half anyway). It feels easier on the eyes. Darker gamma, perhaps?

rainman50

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the yellowish screen as well on my new 3GS. My older 3G iPhone looks more white. I checked with one other 3GS person and his looked the same way as mine. But another 3GS had the "white" screen like my 3G iPhone. We took a pic of them next to each other but I did not get the email from him yet. When I do I'll post it here.

I know of another person that has the new 3GS. l'll check with him when I get a chance. I have seen posts on other forums that talk about the yellowish tint.

I have an appt. at the Genius Bar at Apple tomorrow night.

Dave

Bri Guy

Apr 26, 2006
Visit site
I've compares my GS and G side by side. My new GS has the bluish hue - what I call "cool blue", like the 2G. My G has the "warm yellow". I much prefer the blue! Glad to have blue back :)

jsulmeyer

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry that others are experiencing this issue but at least now I know I'm not crazy. When comparing my new 3GS to both my 1st gen iphone and my girlfriend's 3G, I DEFINITELY notice a difference, both in terms of less color saturation/vibrance and less deep blacks. The way I was actually describing it to the guy at the AT&T store was that the screen seemed "hazy." In fact, the first time I noticed this issue was when I was syncing for the first time, I placed the iphone flat on the desk and sat back in my chair. At that angle, the screen was almost gray/white. I set my 1st gen iPhone next to it and it was much less washed out. I then noticed that when closing an app and briefly seeing a black screen before it is populated with icons, the black seemed hazy. I was SO frustrated (see below to understand) and was convinced that my screen sucked and my handset needed to be exchanged or returned.

Now here's the kicker: This is my SECOND 3GS. The first 3GS I got had another widespread issue (there may be threads about this but, in a nutshell, the glass was flush with the chrome bezel on the left side but lower than the bezel on the right, giving the right side a sharp edge and scraping feel when swiping to the right). What's weird is, I didn't notice the color/hazy black issue on that handset. Maybe I just missed it, but I'm wracked with OCD, so, until I found this thread, I was convinced that my first unit had a perfect screen similar to the other two phones I mentioned and that the one I currently have has a crummy screen. My experience with Palm devices over the years was that the screens are made in multiple factories by multiple vendors, and you never knew if you were going to get one with a yellow or blue hue. Now I'm wondering if the same is true with the iPhone. Is it possible that my first 3GS had a screen from a different manufacturer/vendor and actually was more vibrant and that my new unit has a screen from a different vendor? Or is it true that ALL 3GS handsets have this hazy, less vibrant screen and I just missed it on my first unit? I'd really like to know, as I had the AT&T store order me another unit which will be arriving in a few days!

Many thanks in advance for your input and feedback.

John

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2