How to get Exchange without losing my contacts

cnurugby9#IM

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
I am thinking of getting the new iPhone and I want to know if there is a way to get my work email through the Exchange Server and have my local contacts and another email on it without doing MobileMe?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If your work users exchange server then you are set to go. Simply set it up on the iPhone to push your contacts, email, calender, etc...

cnurugby9#IM

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
will that cause my contacts to overlap at all? I guess I am getting mixed reports from different forums. So say that their contacts double or don't work at all.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm sorry. I read your post wrong. You don't have to sync your contacts via exchange. You can sync via your local computer. (contacts only if you'd like)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, you can pick and choose what you'd like to sync. If it is just email and no contacts that is possible for sure.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
I was under the impression that if you used an exchange server to push your contacts and calendar that that would wipe out any other contact list or calendar. Is that correct?

sangamc

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
if you already have personal contacts on your iphone and you then proceed to add the exchange settings. it will delete the personal contacts and replace them with the exchange contacts during the initial setup. you can however disable contacts sync with exchange after the fact and then restore your personal contacts to the phone with no problem.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
you can use exchange push contacts
OR
local contacts from a USB sync

your options are to:
1. copy your contacts into exchange and sync only from exchange OTA
2. NOT choose to sync exchange contacts when setting up your exchange account (it's an option) and sync only your personal contacts the same way you do now
3. get mobileme for your personal contacts and sync both OTA

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
2. NOT choose to sync exchange contacts when setting up your exchange account (it's an option) and sync only your personal contacts the same way you do now
If I do this (not sync Contacts with Exchange) will I be able to address e-mails on the Exchange server using the addresses on the Exchange server?

My work's Exchange server has a huge global address book that I don't want on my iPhone. However, I would like my Exchange emails and Calendar synced OTA and my personal contacts and calendar items synced at home via USB cable (with a different PIM).

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I thought there was a way to have Phone contacts as well as exchange, but I'm using exchange and just looked now and I don't see anyway to add a contact to just my phone and not exchange so I guess not.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If I do this (not sync Contacts with Exchange) will I be able to address e-mails on the Exchange server using the addresses on the Exchange server?

My work's Exchange server has a huge global address book that I don't want on my iPhone. However, I would like my Exchange emails and Calendar synced OTA and my personal contacts and calendar items synced at home via USB cable (with a different PIM).
You can do all of this

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I thought there was a way to have Phone contacts as well as exchange, but I'm using exchange and just looked now and I don't see anyway to add a contact to just my phone and not exchange so I guess not.

again-

your options are to:
1. copy your contacts into exchange and sync only from exchange OTA
3. get mobileme for your personal contacts and sync both OTA

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77