Can't get mail after 2.0 upgrade

tarheel80

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I have only one email account...it's a mindspring account (now earthlink). It worked fine before. I also lost my sent box. Now all I have is an inbox and trash.

LaurenZ

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
I'm having the same problem and it's driving me crazy. I can only get mail if I delete the account on my phone and then re-enter it, but it doesn't get mail when I ask it anymore. I never had problems until I upgraded. I'm using a Comcast account. Have you learned anything about it yet?

bushbaby

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
I also cannot get my mail anymore on my first gen IPhone that I recently updated to 2.0.2. I am able to get on the internet, but when I check for mail, the icon circles around forever with no results.

I am getting some mail on my yahoo address (inconsistently) and it saved all the folders there. But the earthlink ones no longer have a saved folder. for some reason they did get two messages each and that was it.

I have it set to show 75 messages.

Added: I don't have any extra apps and this phone has not been "unlocked" or anything unusual. Just a plain normal first gen IPhone that's not getting email from my earthlink accounts anymore after the update.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Bad ash, thanks for the reply. Having never done this before, will I lose all my phone book? All my photos?

Off of the phone you will lose them yes. But they should should be on your computer if you are syncing them currently. When you restore to a new iPhone it sets the phone up just like when you first got it. You then have to sync all of your info over. Be sure to take off your photos from your camera roll on the phone. A lot of people don't think to do that and lose those for sure. But if you save them you can just re-sync them after the restore.

bushbaby

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. BTW, my IPhone acted dead for most of today. Did not relay a voicemail until 24 hours later, froze up and did not respond to pressing both the circle and pressing the top button. This lasted for a couple of hours. Then, for no reason, it is working again. (although still not getting my earthlink email.

Is this a coincidence or something to do with 2.0.2?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Thanks. BTW, my IPhone acted dead for most of today. Did not relay a voicemail until 24 hours later, froze up and did not respond to pressing both the circle and pressing the top button. This lasted for a couple of hours. Then, for no reason, it is working again. (although still not getting my earthlink email.

Is this a coincidence or something to do with 2.0.2?

The voicemail thing sounds like a network related issue. As for the freezing and not being able to reset the phone, sounds a little odd to me. Nothing to do with the 2.0.2 firmware.

bushbaby

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
I found this guy attributing the freezing to the new firmware:
(I cannot post the link as I do not have enough posts yet - but his site is "provokingthoughts dot wordpress dot com)
I quote from his page about bugs where he talks about the aftermath of updating to 2.0.2:

"My iPhone has completely frozen when reading email and using Safari. This has never happened since I bought the phone back in October. The touch screen doesn?t respond and the home button doesn?t work. I have to reboot the phone to get it to work again. Not good."

He was lucky enough to be able to reboot to get it to work again - I couldn't.

I'm glad I bought this on my AE because they double the warranty period -- in case it ends up being a hardware issue. But at this point, I'm just not sure. And from what I'm hearing of the 3G, I don't think I want to upgrade to it yet.

I love many things about my IPhone and this has been the first big glitch - I wish I hadn't of updated the software.

Last edited:

bushbaby

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
I see this is a known problem. Engadget mobile also discussed it.

And now from Macnn:

"One common malfunction is crashing of the system or apps after upgrading the software to the new 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 versions, both of which Apple claim include bug fixes. Users have reported that iTunes v 7.7.1 might have something to do with the problems.
A number of responses indicate that syncing phones between iTunes v 7.7.1 and iPhone 2.0.1/2 started the problems, and that downgrading iTunes back down to v 7.7 and running the software updates again solved the crashing problems. Apple has not formally confirmed this method as a fix, but CEO Steve Jobs claimed a software update will be released in September to take care of the bug responsible for crashing the apps."

So the big question is WHEN in Sept? Is it worth the wasted time to downgrade both itunes and the iphone?

tps

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
Simple Fix

Same thing happened to me after the upgrade. I am using Comcast as my mail server. Don't bother Restoring your iPhone, it's a pain in the ...!!
All you have to do is shut off the iPhone by holding down the Home Key and Power button simultaneously. Wait one minute, power it up again and your mail should come up. It worked for me the first time. Good Luck

bushbaby

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks tps, for the post. I was hoping the new recent upgrade would address this problem, but nothing in the email has changed for me even after loading 2.1 When I do the hard shutoff as you described, I still do not get my email.

It comes, but only once in a while and maybe 1/5 of the messages. I will have to make an appt and go into the store.

bushbaby

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Well, if I can help anyone else, it's worth posting what a dummy I am.
All that was needed was to go into my email program and set the account to "leave messages on server."

In Entourage, it's Tools - accounts - (the second tab) - leave messages on server. It's suggested you choose to delete after 5 days and also the next delete option so your server does not fill up and start bouncing new email.

This solved the erratic earthlink email problem for me on my Iphone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77