What's Apple's plan for July 11th?

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
We know that AT&T has confirmed an 8am launch on Friday. But what about Apple? They have released no information at all on just when they intend to launch the iPhone 3G exactly. That is.. at what time on Friday. Perhaps they're doing that on purpose so they don't have people lining up outside? I'm still hopeful they'll provide details this week..

I have $40 on an Apple gift card and $60 of the $100 I got back for being an early iPhone adopter. (BTW, does anyone know if the early adopter "coupon" had/has an expiration date?). If it weren't for these coupons, I'd just go to any AT&T store...

Also, I'll be in NYC on Friday. The cube is probably a bad place to try to get an iPhone 3G on Friday..

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to call my local Apple Store(s) in the morning and ask them what their plans are. I'll post whatever I find out.
Thanks. Appreciated! However, unless Apple officially announces anything about Friday this morning, I don't think the Apple employees will know any more than they already do. In other words, they'll just be like "I don't know" and "We don't have info on that at this time, sorreh". Still, asking is worth a shot for sure.

Mihai

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Go to the Cube in NY if you want to be seen on TV or in the newspapers :D
But there are many other stores which will have the new iPhone, so that won't be a problem if you're from/in NY Friday.

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Yes, you know the line started last Friday, right?
I know, yeah.. which is funny considering Apple hasn't announced at what time exactly they're launching the phone on Friday! They could still say "6pm" or something else entirely.

BTW, has the line grown longer than that crazy family so far?

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
BTW, the cube is open 24/7. Who is going to respect those people for waiting a week when I can just walk right past them to get in the store at any time of the day? Even once Apple tells us when they're launching the iPhone 3G, on what authority will the waiters "get to be first" to buy the new iPhones?

Guess I'm running out of ideas on what to worry about leading up to the launch :p

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
We know that AT&T has confirmed an 8am launch on Friday. But what about Apple? They have released no information at all on just when they intend to launch the iPhone 3G exactly. That is.. at what time on Friday. Perhaps they're doing that on purpose so they don't have people lining up outside? I'm still hopeful they'll provide details this week..

I have $40 on an Apple gift card and $60 of the $100 I got back for being an early iPhone adopter. (BTW, does anyone know if the early adopter "coupon" had/has an expiration date?). If it weren't for these coupons, I'd just go to any AT&T store...

Also, I'll be in NYC on Friday. The cube is probably a bad place to try to get an iPhone 3G on Friday..
I teach my students that a plan is the difference between a group of people and a team. The opposite is also true. If the members of the group do not share a plan, there isn't one.

I visited the Apple store in Stamford, CT over the weekend. The people were all clueless, frustrated too, but no clue. Therefore, by definition, there is no plan.

I feel like I am dealing with Palm again.

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I teach my students that a plan is the difference between a group of people and a team. The opposite is also true. If the members of the group do not share a plan, there isn't one.

I visited the Apple store in Stamford, CT over the weekend. The people were all clueless, frustrated too, but no clue. Therefore, by definition, there is no plan.

I feel like I am dealing with Palm again.
It's no secret that Apple employees know as much as anyone when it comes to delicate information coming out of Apple. So the fact that you were unable to procure any additional information from an Apple store over the weekend only makes sense. It's not the fault of the employees in the store--it's Steve Jobs' will :D

I'm hopeful Apple will tell us wtf is going on on Friday with their own stores.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
It's no secret that Apple employees know as much as anyone when it comes to delicate information coming out of Apple. So the fact that you were unable to procure any additional information from an Apple store over the weekend only makes sense. It's not the fault of the employees in the store--it's Steve Jobs' will :D

I'm hopeful Apple will tell us wtf is going on on Friday with their own stores.
A "plan" that is secret from those who must execute it is not a plan.

If the owners of such a plan donot communicate it to the workers long before Friday, it is unlikely to succeed. Unless a plan has contingent tactics in it, it is unlikely to survive "first contact with the enemy (like it or not, that's us)." The more contingencies, the more complexity, the more training is necessary.

Frankly, I see little potential value in all of this secrecy and a considerable potential downside.

I expect chaos (which we definitely did not have last year).

Last edited:

WatersWest

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I've also heard that even if Apple employees do know something (which I'm sure they don't), they can get in big trouble for spilling the beans when they aren't supposed to.

illjazz

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Update: Apple has confirmed an 8 a.m. launch of the iPhone 3G at all Apple Stores. For more information about the iPhone launch at Apple Stores, visit the The iPhone Blog, which in turn got it from MacRumors.

Sweeeeeeeet :). Finally. So now, which store do I go to in Manhattan? SOHO or the cube? Boy this will be a bitch. Also, does anyone know if Apple/AT&T takes debit cards? They're not anal about the difference between credit and debit cards, right?

Last edited:

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
So, I talked to my local AT&T and Apple stores today. AT&T said that they're only selling one phone per person, even though I'm trying to get one for myself and one for my wife on a family plan, porting both numbers from Verizon, and I'd like to be able to leave my wife at home to watch the kids. They won't let me buy her phone without her present. How stupid.

The Apple store didn't have any answers for me, they didn't know how the activation process will work, they didn't know if they'll be opening at 8am (which we now know that they will), they didn't know if doing a credit pre-approval at an AT&T store will help. I thought it would but then I read somewhere that you have to do it at the store where you'll be buying your iPhone. Again, how stupid.

I guess I'll just get in line early at the Apple Store on Friday and go through the whole process there.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
AT&T said that they're only selling one phone per person, even though I'm trying to get one for myself and one for my wife on a family plan, porting both numbers from Verizon, and I'd like to be able to leave my wife at home to watch the kids. They won't let me buy her phone without her present. How stupid.
Ah, the old "why yes, I have a wife at home and this second phone is for her" trick. They get that a lot. ;) I mean c'mon, what does AT&T care if you get 2? :mad:

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
Ah, the old "why yes, I have a wife at home and this second phone is for her" trick. They get that a lot. ;) I mean c'mon, what does AT&T care if you get 2? :mad:

Exactly. The CSR said it had to do with security. What? Why do they care if I want two phones? I just read the iReady Checklist pdf that they have available and it states that you can get one iPhone per person in line. Well, I'm probably going to be in line with my brother, who isn't planning to buy a 3G right away (he's got an original), so does that mean I can buy 2? The dumb AT&T CSR said no, it has to be the person that the phone is for. Sheesh.

I hope Apple doesn't have these same dumb rules.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Exactly. The CSR said it had to do with security. What? Why do they care if I want two phones? I just read the iReady Checklist pdf that they have available and it states that you can get one iPhone per person in line. Well, I'm probably going to be in line with my brother, who isn't planning to buy a 3G right away (he's got an original), so does that mean I can buy 2? The dumb AT&T CSR said no, it has to be the person that the phone is for. Sheesh.

I hope Apple doesn't have these same dumb rules.
In store activation that they have not trained for yet. It is only going to take one family plan with porting two numbers from Verizon to cause chaos. Can anyone say it is Tuesday already?

If they roll out 2.0, I will stay home and play with that on WiFi. I do not have 3G in any case. I care more about 2.0 than 3G in any case. Of course that is a big "if." Nevermind that there is not much info on the phone, the only thing that I have heard on 2.0 is that the stores will have to install it on the demos. Said another way, the phones did not ship with 2.0.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost