To the new iPhone owners...

GaryUSC

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
When you switch from your old devices to the 3G iPhone in the coming weeks, what function(s) from your old device will you miss the most?

I am currently a BB user (8310 Curve) and the function I will miss the most is the ability to plug my Curve to any computer via a USB cable and upload/download files.

This function has been important because I download podcasts to my Curve from my home PC as well as from my office PC on a daily basis. I also transfer pictures of my kids from my Curve to my parents' computer often. My Curve effectively doubles as my portable mass storage device.

With the new iPhone, I will lose that functionality. I don't believe I can upload files from the phone to other machines. I also am forced to download podcasts only from my home PC so I don't have to maintain two identical music libraries on two computers.

Last edited:

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I'm an 8310 user as well, and without a doubt the single most missed feature will be NO SYNCING OF NOTES AND TASKS! What are they thinking? And the same holds true for Mac software, including Entourage. If they are really going to penetrate the enterprise, they have got to include notes and tasks. Even my lowly BB can do that.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
i have been using a moto krzr, i guess the only thing i will REALLY miss is the familiarlity with the shortcuts, etc. but i am confident that apple's ui is a lot better than verizons

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Being a sad, sad Motorola Razr owner still, the only thing I'll honestly miss is MMS.

Of course I'll miss the random charging glitches, bad battery cover, completely useless internet features, and overall slowless. ;)

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Being a sad, sad Motorola Razr owner still, the only thing I'll honestly miss is MMS.

Of course I'll miss the random charging glitches, bad battery cover, completely useless internet features, and overall slowless. ;)

I know the young folks still flock to the (K)Raz(y)r, but I just don't get it. Two of my children have gone through 3 each (have to compliment AT&T on at least coming through on the repair side) while my other is still on his original HTC 3125. The Razr plain sucks compared to the iPhone.

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I'm an 8310 user as well, and without a doubt the single most missed feature will be NO SYNCING OF NOTES AND TASKS! What are they thinking? And the same holds true for Mac software, including Entourage. If they are really going to penetrate the enterprise, they have got to include notes and tasks. Even my lowly BB can do that.

Check out Evernote for notes. I'm using it now on my WM device, but it works on the iPhone as well. Remember everything. | Evernote Corporation

GaryUSC, I know it is not free, but I'm planning on using SugarSync to store, sync, and manage files 'in the cloud' on my iPhone. I have it on my Treo700 now, and my other computers and it is pretty cool. Sync Files, Backup Data, Remote File Access for PC, Mac, Mobile Phone - SugarSync

I don't use tasks as much as I should, but the hints posted here is what I'm going to look it using for tasks on the iPhone. Tip o’ the Week: Tasks on iPhone! | The iPhone Blog

I don't want to sound like a commercial and I'm not affiliated with these people/companies. But since I've been using Evernote and SugarSync, I've been very pleased. With SS, I'm happy to have some important business files sync'd across computers and I'm also very happy to have my data and photos saved off-location in the event of a fire or flood. And since my MS Exchange doesn't sync notes anyway, Evernote has filled that hole very nicely.

Hope that helps you all. PS your thread my draw some more attention if you added something about 'what are you going to miss' or tasks, notes or something, thats just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I have a razr so I won't be missing anything! The screen keeps crashing and I don't have internet or MMS just text and voice. The iphone is going to rock!

sailorgirl

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I have some kinda Samsung slider thing and I honestly will say that the only thing I'll miss about it is the fact that I can drop it a lot and it seems to be fine. I'll be keeping it and switching my new iphone SIM into it when I don't feel like carrying my iphone around. By the way .. it's white and stained ... I made the mistake of answering my phone while I was getting my hair colored and the dye got on the phone. Not gonna be missing that either.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Voice dialing from BT headset on my BB8310. :eek: Everything else I can probably work around. Omitting notes & tasks is moronic - if you're going to sync Outlook then sync all of it! There is a wonderful program from Wireless Rex which I use as my GTD (getting things done) app on my blackberry. Since the BB is always with me, I always have all my calendar, tasks, notes, contacts, etc. with me which is critical. OmniFocus has a great GTD tool available for Mac and it will be ported to the iPhone along with some enhancements - location awareness for example. Which is pretty cool if you think about it. Put milk on your list and flag it with a context tag of "Giant" (local grocery store). Next time you're at Giant, the app knows this and reminds you to buy milk and anything else you've put the "giant" context tag on. I do this manually by grouping tasks with "@ERRANDS" into one sub list but do forget to check it sometimes when out, etc.

Sorry - ended up writing a novel!

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I'll kinda miss the voice command on my BlackBerry 8330 (from vlingo, not built in), but it's not that big of a deal, and maybe they'll make an iPhone version, who knows. What I'll really miss is the awesome Facebook app. Keeping in touch with high school and new college friends, the BlackBerry Facebook app is pretty full featured for an application and it's quick. I'll sorta miss free push and background programs (i.e. JiveTalk is awesome, maybe they'll do an iPhone app instead of just a web interface).

michi_love

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm not going to miss one thing about my Samsung Blackjack II. I rushed into buying it without really researching it... I just knew I wanted a better phone than the cheapie one I had before. I wanted a phone I could surf the internet with and this was just about the most horrible device to do so. Windows Mobile on this thing was just alright and the menu screens are soooo well... plain looking. This is why I've got ants in my pants waiting for the iPhone to come out! I actually have daydreams of using it and holding it in my hands =)

jmeiners

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I have had 2 different Treos (650 and 700W) and the only thing I will really miss is the cut/copy/paste and the picture mail (MMS, I think).

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
I'm coming from a Treo 700p and there are three things I can think of that I'm actually going to miss. 1. Kinoma and the freedom it gives me to stream just about anything on the internet. 2. Stereo BlueTooth (using SAG). 3. Creating and editing Office docs, although if they add iWork editing I'll be just fine.

josh5308

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
i currently have a blackbery 8310 and im definetely gonna miss brickbreaker camera flash and blackberry messenger but im never going to miss scrolling forever with my trackball when on the internet

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
i currently have a blackbery 8310 and im definetely gonna miss brickbreaker camera flash and blackberry messenger but im never going to miss scrolling forever with my trackball when on the internet

oh man - why did you have to remind me about brickbreaker? :eek: Should be illegal it's so damn addictive. OK, someone is going to have to come up with a clone game for the iPhone then! Then again, given the hours I've wasted playing that damned game, maybe I'm better off without it......... :rolleyes:

hobyphone

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I have some sort of crappy Samsung flip phone thing. The only thing I'll miss is the smaller size. My phone now fits into those small coin pockets that jeans have in the front. The iPhone, obviously, won't.

Plus I don't really care about taking care of my phone now. When I get my iPhone, I'll be paranoid about hurting it…