How long until an iPhone is available with more than 16 GB of storage?

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
If my memory serves me correct, it was not very long until Apple up the storage available on the original iPhone. How long do you think it will take for them to do the same with the iPhone 3G? Christmas shopping season?

Last edited:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I'm not sure about the 32GB being soon-ish. iPod Touch has 2 slots for the NAND Flash chips as opposed to just 1 on the iPhone 2G, because it doesn't need the GSM and BT radios. iPhone 3G also has to fit HSPA and aGPS, leaving less room.

Apple just ordered up 50K more NAND chips at the current 8GB size, so that also means they'll have plenty of supply to burn through before they move to 16GB chips (which they'll likely need to for a 32GB iPhone 3G).

X-Mas is possible. 2009 is more likely, IMHO.

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
I did mean 16 GB. I was wondering how long until an iPhone is available with more than 16 GB of storage. It seems like many are talking about only carrying one device, and many have way more than 16 GB of music/media. Knowing that we are not going to get a hard drive based iPhone, it will be only flash storage, I am wondering what the predictions are on how much the next increase will be and how soon it may come out.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
My bet is still on a 32gb iPhone 3g Pro for Christmas 2008. Call me Pollyanna, but I think the flood of software is going to make a 32gb version a blessing. However, I also expect it to be a $499 item subsidized because it will (a) command the premium, and (b) cost a load to manufacture...

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I don't think they will until next years release of a new version, I think they left off so many features that they know people want and is standard on most devices so that they will have reasons to release updates and get some press coverage every couple of months

bomba

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
i would agree the only reason i am keeping my ipod touch is bc of the 32gb storage, if i could get a 32gb iphone, say good bye to ipod :D

joshboldman

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I think that for the time being, a 32gb iphone is plausible, but overall the price would be ridiculous. They would definitely have to step up to 16gb chips, and putting two in the same phone would get rather pricey. I mean, the 32gb ipod touch is already $499. Add in the radios necessary for the iphone, and you're probably looking at a $800 or $900 phone. And then with the subsidy, it might come down to $600. I think that's just too much to pay for a subsidized phone. Maybe when the 16gb chips get cheaper (and they will), it will be more likely. Perhaps we're looking at somewhere in 2009, but by then we'll all be talking about iPhone 3.0 anyway, right?

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
you can never really know with apple, they always give yoy a reason to second-guess yourself. but i think the 32 gb is on the way, maybe holiday season, but if not then, then probably macworld.
seeing as the iphone just droped 200 dolla, it is assumed that the touch will drop too, with that being said, apple will start going for higher gb numbers, hopefully.

JeremyCi

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
-bump, anyone heard anything on this?

I read an article yesterday talking about apple and 32GB cards...

*edit, article was toshiba's offering of the 32GB cards in september and that is was the primary supplier for apple, and stated they were to be mass produced this fall.....It DID NOT say apple was buying them however...

electronista.com/articles/08/08/06/toshiba.32gb.flash

Last edited: