Will GSM iPhone Buzz in Dock ?

byronchurch

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
One of The downsides to cingular GSM is you get so much static/noise using them in music docks especially as speakerphones .As far as I know there isn't a music dock for any GSM phones . Seems like this would be unacceptable for an iPodPhone....?

byronchurch

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
One of The downsides to cingular GSM is you get so much static/noise using them in music docks especially as speakerphones .As far as I know there isn't a music dock for any GSM phones . Seems like this would be unacceptable for an iPodPhone....?

I still haven't heard this addressed am I missing something ?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm joking. I was channeling Archie, who "in spirit" says Apple would never release a device with such a design defect, and if it does it would be because its useful to know when your calls come in.

Surur

byronchurch

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
aaahhh ..? Buy seriously arn't there any of gsm users who could coment on this ? As far as I know there are no music docks that work with gsm . How could apple overlook this ?

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
That is the feedback from a non-3G signal. Happens whenever I put any Cingular phone next to a speaker (in GPRS or EDGE areas only). Since the iPhone isn't 3G I would assume it will still make the noise. Its a frequency issue, not a hardware defect...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
That is the feedback from a non-3G signal. Happens whenever I put any Cingular phone next to a speaker (in GPRS or EDGE areas only). Since the iPhone isn't 3G I would assume it will still make the noise. Its a frequency issue, not a hardware defect...

If one of your device's primary functions is a music player, it is, if not a defect, certainly an issue,

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I agree, I wouldn't want to hear ticking while listening to music through my 500 dollar phone + speaker system cost as well. But I probably wouldn't use a setup that exploited this. Perhaps just a cord where I could keep the phone a few feet away from the speakers, etc

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I have an iPod nano and the Apple audio dock (plugged into a hifi) and have just tried an experiement. I placed my phone (a Nokia E61) next to the dock and put it in 'GSM mode' (otherwise it would be using UTMS as the house is in a 3G area) and played back some music via the nano (in the dock). I set the phone to download a couple of web pages, sent it a text message and rang it up. I couldn't hear any interference of any kind. This doesn't mean that the iPhone won't have any problems of course, but I think this is about as close as we come to making an assessment before it's released. It at least indicates that Apple's dock is pretty well shielded (for the price it should be!).

stroths

Apr 16, 2006
Visit site
Any GSM phone will put out this noise, so the iPhone should have the same issue. I've heard that some devices do it worse than others. I have witnessed it from a cheapo free Nokia 1100 up to the Treo 650. Luckily, CDMA does not have this issue.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
It also depends on WHERE the phone is placed. If I put my Treo or my 8125 near a clock-radio, for example, periodically there is a rather unpleasant buzzing and clicking noise emitted from the radio. If it's more than about 18 inches away, it doesn't happen. I plug my 8125 into my home stereo, car stereo, computer speakers, and a dedicated powered speaker in my garage all the time with no noise issues.

Simple solution - place whatever dock you use more than a foot or so away from the FM receiver and the speakers and it won't be an issue.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I'm joking. I was channeling Archie, who "in spirit" says Apple would never release a device with such a design defect, and if it does it would be because its useful to know when your calls come in.

Surur
I would appreciate you refrain from projecting your negative characterizations of me and let others judge for themselves.

PS: For what its worth, my name isn't archie. The word archie is in reference to landmark internet technologies like Archie and Croquet which provide for resource sharing, something you would know nothing about (ooops, maybe I should just let the reader discover this for themself :evil:).

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
So, byronchurch and Stroths, I take it you have your answer in reading marcol's post.

To be fair, this was done w/an iPod Hifi system. The Bose Sounddock, JBL Onstage, and about 50 other devices remain to be seen. But thats a good job by Apple making the hifi resistant to the GSM feedback...

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Surur, are you worried that if the Treo family fades that you will become a big fish in a smaller pond?
You're assuming that Surur owns or even cares about the Palm brand.

I'd venture to say 'he doesn't' for both. Some of us here are tech enthusiasts and do not have name-brand loyalty (as opposed to yourself as hinted by your post and handle). Likewise, I own two Palms (650 and 700wx) but could really care less if they stay or go as a company.