iPhone into vs. treo intro

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
With some info being leaked or rumored months ago regarding iPhone, what do users think having a model introduced then having to wait 6months
or having spy pix of 680/750 and never really knowing when it will come out. Is one marketing plan/intro better?

littlewaywelt

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
If Palm was announcing 6 months ahead of time -- it would be considered incompetence.

When Apple does it -- it is considered genius.

Just how I read the perception of the masses around here. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
If Palm did it it would be incompetance. They can't hold onto an excitement level that long. Apple can.

It's really quite simple. Everyone knows what an iPod is. How many people know what a Treo is? Apple can announce now and ppl will be itching to get one for six months. Apple's iPod following is much more enthusiastic than Treo's following, imo.

raiderfan

Oct 20, 2002
Visit site
It just funny how pictures and fcc filing information gets posted up all over the internet before Palm acknowledges a new device.....Apple does a proper job of releasing information and not letting the cart get in front of the horse...

mesplin@earthli

May 7, 2006
Visit site
Apple has much more market savvy and is willing to spend bucks to market the product. Palm seems to rely on the wanning loyalty of users in lieu of any market strategy.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
No, Apple is taking advantage of the fact that they dont have current models to cannabalize. They wont get away with that after the first model.

Marc

Lets not forget, the amount of potential treo sales that Apple just took away from Palm. I had a treo 750 on hold at cingular until yesterdays announcement. Now I will wait and see if the iPhone lives up to its potential. If it does, I will get one the first day its available.

You think maybe Palm & MS might need to reconsider the 240 x 240 resolution now?

Erch63

Aug 21, 2000
www.nikolaylaw.com
All of these threads are the exact proof why apple can do this. If apple had submitted the FCC paperwork, everyone would have seen pictures and features, thereby stealing the thunder of the unveiling. It would have been yesterdays news. Now people have to wait which will increase specualtion and hope. Hopefully it will not disappoint when it actually releases.

Apple is just take a page from the new girl in school that will not go all the way. Hopefully it will not be disappointing.

So I feel the hype will grow and grow, while we all wait.

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
Apple doesn't have to take away all of the Treo sales. It only has to take a few away. The greater the sales volume for the Treo, the better for Palm--the sale of that 500,000th unit has greater profit than the sale of the 4th, because fixed costs have been absorbed.

Palm will not die from the iPhone alone. Palm will die from slowly being starved of oxygen from a bunch of competitors, each of whom takes a small slice of the market. They'll lose unit sales to Apple. They'll lose unit sales to HTC. They'll lose unit sales to Nokia. Then they'll wake up and realize that Treo sales are flat or growth is anemic.

At that point Palm will either need to pull a rabbit out of their corporate (ahem) hat or go the long slow death of small incremental changes to an existing platform while trying to squeeze costs in order to maintain profit margins. And a business focused on cost control ultimately dies. It's the top line that matters. If you ain't getting dollars in the door it doesn't really matter that your corporate controller throws nickels around like manhole covers.

Long term prognosis for Palm: (1) I will buy an unlocked 750 when they're available, so Mr. Colligan can buy a sandwich for lunch that week, but (2) look for an LBO or merger within 18 months. Betting pool, anyone?

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
But the world will NOT stand still while you wait. And, of course, Palm, being 2% the size of Apple, can't possible spend what Apple does...
Marc

No, they probably can't spend what Apple can. But they do have a vocal user base that has repeatedly tried to tell them what they needed to do. Unfortunately, they continue to ignore what their users ask for.

Dunc

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
But the world will NOT stand still while you wait. And, of course, Palm, being 2% the size of Apple, can't possible spend what Apple does...

Marc

No, but Palm must now really try to innovate if they want to compete. Just look at the palm OS, practically unchanged in years. Its going to be difficult for Palm to release treo after treo with only minor updates now. For goodness sakes, they still dont offer a treo with wifi, their devices are still thick (lame touchscreen excuse doesnt fly anymore), their main OS doesnt multitask, and their other supported OS only has a 240 x 240 screen. I think people are so happy about apples announcement, because it feels like a real revoultionary experience, compared to the minor updates that palm has been throwing at us for years. Its time for something new, and Palm doesnt want to give it to us.

hrlaser

Meber
Feb 14, 2005
www.amigazone.com
Take a look at the LifeDrive then look at the iPhone. Similar, aren't they? Palm could have taken the LifeDrive with its huge screen, "one button" (okay, a five-way pad).. built-in WiFi, and turned it into a Palm "iPhone" a long time ago. Although Apple's market share of computers is tiny, they totally dominate the portable music player market and everyone and his monkey makes an iPod wannabee. Like someone said earlier, everyone knows what an iPod is. How much of the population knows what a Treo is?

After watching Steve Jobs' hour and a half long iPhone presentation on apple.com yesterday I thought to myself "this thing is pure sex." His hyperbole about being "five years ahead of everyone else" is typical marketing baloney, but it is a very compelling device. But the problems are still there. It'll be a Cingular exclusive for some number of years. My Treos are on Sprint. I don't want or need a Cingular plan with yet another monthly bill. The iPhone seems to have no card slot; sure it has a ton of internal memory but if I recorded an .mp4 with my Neuros recorder and wanted to play it on an iPhone, I'd have to suck it off the Neuros' SD card with a computer, then dock the iPhone and copy it over with iTunes. Bleah. With a Treo, I can literally yank the card out of the Neuros and shove it in the Treo and play a full-length movie or anything else I've recorded

The iPhone runs MacOS X but does it run programs other than what comes built into it? Or is it a closed system that's just a sub-set of MacOS X?

That huge screen looked pretty glossy. With operation totally limited to your fingertips, is it going to get covered with finger prints or will there be a huge aftermarket in anti-glare matte-finish screen protectors for it and how will it behave with a screen protector?

You gotta hand it to Steve Jobs. Whatever else he might be, he sure knows how to play to a crowd. If you watch the iPhone keynote, compare his on-stage personna with those of the other company suits who come up on stage.

If Cingular offered the iPhone with JUST a data plan (which I'm sure they won't..) .. or a tiny, cheap 100 minutes a month voice plan with unlimited data at a reasonable price, ($50.00 a month or less..) .. I'd seriously consider getting one despite my promise to myself that after Jobs killed off the Newton in 1998 he'd never get a cent out of me

And when he was showing off the iPod features of the iPhone and brought up Sgt. Pepper's and played a couple tracks, I thought to myself what irony - Apple Corps. Ltd., the Beatles' company, sued Apple Computers over the name Apple a long time ago. And there's Steve Jobs showing off his new gizmo in front of four thousand people with Beatles' music.

And how about that prank call to Starbucks?

Harv

Tom Jefferson

Jul 31, 2005
Visit site
Palm doesn't follow through...
Palm doesn't innovate, they just crap all over Handspring's T600 coattails...
Palm is a pathetic creature of habit in it's insistance to consistently disappoint it's once-fiercely-loyal customer base.

Apple follows through... and gives you more than you expected.
Apple is wildly innovative and is a fantastic trend setter
When is the last time they let anyone down... that's right, never... ever.

Do you currently hold Palm stock?

Dump it fast.

hrlaser

Meber
Feb 14, 2005
www.amigazone.com
When is the last time they (Apple) let anyone down... that's right, never... ever.

Never ever? Bold words. They let a few hundred thousand people down when Steve Jobs came back in 1998 and in his very first act as "Interim CEO" (after John Scully left.. and remember who fired Jobs from Apple?..).. and shortly after Bill Gates handed him an enormous amount of money, (probably becasue he wanted to break into the PDA market with the first pathetic Windoze CE machines.. and Newton was a mature, popular platform that was in his way..) ..Jobs killed off the Newton and the entire Newton division. Do some research. Go read comp.sys.newton.misc around February, 1998. All the Newton Source stores closed within a couple weeks. A hoard of faithful, long-time Newton owners and developers (many of whom had just paid a grand for a Newton 2100, the final model).. protested in Apple's parking lot in Cupertino. An Apple rep came out to try to placate them with cookies, yes, cookies.. and promised Apple was working on a new PDA, possibly running MacOS to replace the Newton and that would be out in a "couple years." Well in a lot more than a "couple years" they spewed out the iPod which was nothing more than a music player.

It's taken them nearly ten years to truly replace the Newton with the iPhone (which you can't even buy yet, although I have no doubt they'll sell a boatload of them.. at least to folks who can stomach switching to Cingular since they'll have a multi-year exclusive on it..) ..

So nah, Apple has never let anyone down. It was all just a bad dream. Never happened

Harv

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234