Disappointed with iPhone 3Gs???

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I can't say that I'm disappointed, but I'm not excited either. Considering that I just got my iPhone in February, there wasn't any real chance of me grabbing this anyway, unless it was super amazing awesome uber.

That being said...

Better camera - I personally don't care, as I hardly ever use it anyway.
Video Recording - Same as above, plus I have Cycorder.
Nike + - Don't care.
Compass - Why on earth do I want a compass in my phone?
Voice Commands - Had it on previous phones, never used it.
Battery - Would be more excited if it weren't still crap. It's barely better.
Unspecified processor boost - This is cool, but the fact that they haven't given exact specs irks me.
Double the Ram - Now we're talking!

Do these things matter to some people? I'm sure they do. But to to me they are minuscule increases that didn't do much to tackle the features I personally care about.

The problem is there is not one confirmed report of double the RAM. Just rumors. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kept the memory at 128 MB.

Coffeeman

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I'd be curious to see how the Palm Pre does now.. hmm.. I'm a die hard iPhone but WOW after this fiasco nothing is stopping me from one of my eyes wondering off to see what the Pre is really about if just to check. Before Apple dropped the ball on "hardware" I wouldn't even consider a Pre or BB wow. Sometimes we need change and competition doesn't hurt :D.

I returned my Pre yesterday. As a long time Palm user, I was excited to get back to Palm. That excitement quickly turned to frustration, as all the stability problems that I had forgotten about in past Palm devices (Treo650, Treo755p) quickly surfaced in the Pre.

WEBos is killer, but my Pre reset itself many times daily. The screen is substantially smaller than the iPhone's, and the jelly keys on the slide out keyboard are awful.

The Pre's build quality does not even come close to Apple's build quality. Battery life was, in my experience, about half of the 3g iPhone's.

I really wanted to love the Pre, but IMHO, it is not ready for prime time.

As much as I hate AT&T's crappy coverage and dropped calls, using the Pre for a few days really gave me a new appreciation for my iPhone.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
I returned my Pre yesterday. As a long time Palm user, I was excited to get back to Palm. That excitement quickly turned to frustration, as all the stability problems that I had forgotten about in past Palm devices (Treo650, Treo755p) quickly surfaced in the Pre.

WEBos is killer, but my Pre reset itself many times daily. The screen is substantially smaller than the iPhone's, and the jelly keys on the slide out keyboard are awful.

The Pre's build quality does not even come close to Apple's build quality. Battery life was, in my experience, about half of the 3g iPhone's.

I really wanted to love the Pre, but IMHO, it is not ready for prime time.

As much as I hate AT&T's crappy coverage and dropped calls, using the Pre for a few days really gave me a new appreciation for my iPhone.

Good insights into the Palm Pre. Hardware quality has been one of Apple's strengths. That in itself may justify the higher cost of iPhone 3G s to other devices. In my two iPhones, never had I had the instability problems I see with my Blackberry Storm.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
This is only good because now other phones cant copy the iphone and we will all be surprised when the next iphone comes around (and steve jobs shows it off haha) Now the features people want are all in the iphone (for the most part) as soon as att gets mms whenever that will be. This is what i think of the iphone 3gs:

not only am i waiting another year to see what iphone brings us then, my gf was waiting to see what 3gs would bring before getting on the iphone bus?after seeing the 3gs and the 3g price drop, we went out and got a 3g 16gb for $149. 3gs doesnt seem worth it at all. video is really neat, but no ichat? camera is pretty nice, but what about next year? there will probably be a 5mp camera and better video features. compass?yeah i dont see anyone REALLY excited about this (except the one dude that yelled during the conference lol). And voice over. Are we really that lazy to open up the phone or ipod app and press a button? and how many songs do you REALLY not know on your iphone that you need it to tell you when, in less time, you can hit the home button twice and see the name of it right there.

I think 3gs is just to hold us off until they release a more legit iphone, with its own name(not 3gs 2 or something), next year. even the commercial says it ?it looks the same?. i can picture an oled screen and a slimmer body next year when zune hd comes out and apple sees how many people want hd.

3.0 is gonna feel like all us 3g owners got a brand new phone. I see no reason to go out of my way to upgrade to the 3gs this year.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I for one am not disappointed. I have been doing a lot of reading and am hearing a lot of complaints. Sure a great many thing were left out of the original IPhone.
No Video
No MMS
No Background Apps
No copy-n-paste

but if you look at the competition. Sure, they have these things, but are they a joy to use? not really. but with the new 3Gs, these things are beautiful, easy to use, and...dare I say it?...JUST WORK. (except background apps)

Your precious Pre has all these yet, from what I hear, the pre is NOT a joy to use.

Apple is a company that is not just about spec's. it is all about the user. which is the other way around from other co's.

other co's say "we got these great parts and they must be configured this way to work best. which is sometimes uncomfortable to the end user.

Apple says "this is how the end user will be using it, now figure out how to put these parts in". this is a harder thing to do which takes longer but the result is a better end user experience.

so yes we are behind, spec's wise, but if I do not enjoy using these things I wont.

I for one want Apple to KEEP taking their time to GET IT RIGHT. I am willing to wait for a product that is a JOY to use.

If you can't wait then JUMP SHIP, Already!:eek:

I have already purchased the 32gb IPhone 3Gs Black and cannot wait for it's arrival.:D

martfer

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I'll wait....

I don't. Know why apple has to present a new iPhone every year, I thiink they don't have enough time to do the right improvements, should be every2 years. I, going to. Wait for the 4th generation. iPhone.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I for one am not disappointed. I have been doing a lot of reading and am hearing a lot of complaints. Sure a great many thing were left out of the original IPhone.
No Video
No MMS
No Background Apps
No copy-n-paste

but if you look at the competition. Sure, they have these things, but are they a joy to use? not really. but with the new 3Gs, these things are beautiful, easy to use, and...dare I say it?...JUST WORK. (except background apps)

Your precious Pre has all these yet, from what I hear, the pre is NOT a joy to use.

Apple is a company that is not just about spec's. it is all about the user. which is the other way around from other co's.

other co's say "we got these great parts and they must be configured this way to work best. which is sometimes uncomfortable to the end user.

Apple says "this is how the end user will be using it, now figure out how to put these parts in". this is a harder thing to do which takes longer but the result is a better end user experience.

so yes we are behind, spec's wise, but if I do not enjoy using these things I wont.

I for one want Apple to KEEP taking their time to GET IT RIGHT. I am willing to wait for a product that is a JOY to use.

If you can't wait then JUMP SHIP, Already!:eek:

I have already purchased the 32gb IPhone 3Gs Black and cannot wait for it's arrival.:D

110% agreement. How many phones come out that are crap (cough Storm cough) and are now working to make it work. Apple is about the user experience. They want everyone to have an equal experience, whether it be a newbie or techie. This is one of the reasons 3g wasn't in the first iPhone as AT&T wasn't as deployed with 3G as they are now.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I don't. Know why apple has to present a new iPhone every year, I thiink they don't have enough time to do the right improvements, should be every2 years. I, going to. Wait for the 4th generation. iPhone.

So should they release new Macbooks every two years as well?

No... it's called technology, and you have to pay to keep up. It's always been that way. So why should other people have to suffer if they prefer a new device each year? You have the option not to buy it if you don't want to.

:rolleyes:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You are exaggerating. I didn't experience does problems and neither did most of the weblogs.

It's does do it. Mostly with media playback but it's there. You can even get it to crash with so many cards open. Is it a huge deal, not really but I'd rather stick it out and wait until the technology is perfected. It's a simple fact that it isn't at the moment.

missdee

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
yes. it would be cool if they had changed the look. yet at the same time im glad they didnt. i bought my iphone in november, and i dont want to look outdated already :( i have to pay full price for it as well since i wasnt eligible for an upgrade. the 3gs seems like a great phone, im just happy with the 3g as well

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Just like Rene's blog the other day, I am saitsfied enough with the improvements to actually go out and purchase a new one

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
So! what do the naysayers say NOW? speed isn't that big of a deal? compass still stupid? voice control- no big deal?

I am happier than ever with this upgrade especially now that I have had a few weeks to experience it. You?

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
So! what do the naysayers say NOW? speed isn't that big of a deal? compass still stupid? voice control- no big deal?

I am happier than ever with this upgrade especially now that I have had a few weeks to experience it. You?

After talking myself out of an update to 3GS, I bit the bullet and got the new phone this week (actually, my husband bought it for me me, so I had to keep it ;) While I am sure Apple is going to come out with something great next summer, I am looooving the new phone. Speed is really quite something. Camera is better and it's nice to have video available at all times. I probably won't fill the 32G to capacity, but it's nice not having to worry about maxing out by old 3G 16G. (Which is now an iPod Touch for the husband and kidlets).

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
After re-reading some of the earlier posts in this thread. I feel that alot of people did not realize the magnatude of the "minimal" upgrade! I am wondering if they have since changed their mind and bought the new "speedier" 3 GS.

Barrett316

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
After re-reading some of the earlier posts in this thread. I feel that alot of people did not realize the magnatude of the "minimal" upgrade! I am wondering if they have since changed their mind and bought the new "speedier" 3 GS.

being a fanboi i had to buy it from the get-go. i was about to drop 399.99 for a 16 3GS early upgrade, then i was told i could get the 32 3GS for 299.99 because i bought the 3G last year.

i show a lot of people who have the 3G the difference, some lie and say they're not that impressed, but for the most part a lot of people i show my phone to make the upgrade even if they weren't upgrade ready. I particularly love the voice control and the faster web browsing. it's just a better phone in my opinion.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I can't seem to find something to be really disappointed about.

Sure its not as perfect as I want it to be, but the upgrade was solid enough to keep me happy.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2