Had to cancel AT&T for Verizon -- will iPhone 3g continue to restore?

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone. I unfortunately had to switch to Verizon recently because of unacceptable coverage in my area (voice calls were just impossible on AT&T). That aside --

I would like to continue using the iPhone as my iPod. My question is this, can I continue using the iPhone 3G as an iPod even if I restore the phone? I know I could with my original iPhone as long as I kept the inactive sim in the phone, but at that time I still had AT&T service, now that I don't I'm worried if I restore, it'll call me on it and ask for a contract.

I found this apple support article titled "Using an original iPhone without a wireless service plan" (I'm not allowed to post links yet) which does state:

"If you upgrade to an iPhone 3G or cancel your wireless service account/tariff for your original iPhone, it is possible to continue using the original iPhone without an active wireless service (using it with Wi-Fi only)."

My big concern is that this article is about the original iPhone, not any of the newer models. Has anyone been in this situation before that can tell me whether it will work if I end up having to restore the phone, as long as I keep my now inactive no service sim in there?

Thanks!

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi there. You don't have to restore your phone at all. So you're on Verizon now and yes you can use your iPhone 3G as an iPod. Its an iPod Touch now though because of no service. You don't need to have a sim card in the phone to access it. Its fine the way it is. but yeah its an iPod Touch now. The article about upgrading or canceling I'd assume refers to any iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2