Do I need an iPhone 3G?

Arjun

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
So I was looking into getting a new phone and I decided on getting the iPhone.

So it is between the iPhone 2G vs the iPhone 3G, let me tell you my situation.

I'm 17 and I work on minimum wage part time. I will be paying for the phone and the plan monthly so I don't want to spend too much money.

-For starters, I will not be getting a data plan. I have no use for on-the-fly email and while internet would be nice I can live with hotspot Wi-Fi.
-The 3G iPhone although we are uncertain how to jailbreak it, will inevitably be jailbroken, so thats not a problem
-I use my phone for around 500 texts a month, heavy talk usage, heavy music usage and scheduling my life

So the real question is a 3G iPhone with no data plan worth purchasing vs a 2G iPhone with no data plan based on my needs?

Edit: Question: The iPhone 2G will probably drop in price after the release of the iPhone 3G right? I plan on buying it through Kijiji (its just like Craigslist) hopefully new and unlocked.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
So I was looking into getting a new phone and I decided on getting the iPhone.

So it is between the iPhone 2G vs the iPhone 3G, let me tell you my situation.

I'm 17 and I work on minimum wage part time. I will be paying for the phone and the plan monthly so I don't want to spend too much money.

-For starters, I will not be getting a data plan. I have no use for on-the-fly email and while internet would be nice I can live with hotspot Wi-Fi.
-The 3G iPhone although we are uncertain how to jailbreak it, will inevitably be jailbroken, so thats not a problem
-I use my phone for around 500 texts a month, heavy talk usage, heavy music usage and scheduling my life

So the real question is a 3G iPhone with no data plan worth purchasing vs a 2G iPhone with no data plan based on my needs?

Edit: Question: The iPhone 2G will probably drop in price after the release of the iPhone 3G right? I plan on buying it through Kijiji (its just like Craigslist) hopefully new and unlocked.

If you are going to get a 2G iPhone, get it NOW. The price will go up substantially after the release of the 3G.

Why?

1. The 3G iPhone can't be purchased without instore activation and a new contract being signed. This will mean that there is going to be a minimum of 30 days from July 11th until you start seeing 3G iPhones for sale on the "used" market. This will also drive the price up on them in the used market substantially. ($199 to buy + $175 early termination fee + $70 minimum for one month's service = $445 + unlocking/jailbreaking "service" fees = $550+ for an 8 gig.)

2. The 3G iPhone uses a different 3G frequency than T-Mobile's 3G network. It won't be as desirable for this.

3. The new activation process is sure to put a hampering on the ease of unlocking and jailbreaking.

4. Simply put, the 2G iPhone will be the easiest method of getting an iPhone on a carrier outside of At&t. That being the case, they are going to be widely desired post 3G launch, and the price will reflect this.

You can't activate an iPhone officially without a data plan. It isn't possible, especially not for the 3G model. The only thing you can do, if you don't want a data plan, is unlock it for use with any SIM and pop your existing SIM in there.

I say get the 2G, and get it soon, or you will be in for a long wait and a possible heavy price increase.

I predict that an 8 gig 2G you can buy today for $250-$350 will go up to around $450 after the official 3G launch. It is simply a matter of supply and demand. You won't be able to get them in stores anymore and they are the best option for use outside of At&t.

Last edited:

Arjun

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
I live in Canada, so my sim card would be for Rogers.

So disconcerning the price or availbility, how does a 2G iPhone sound in my situation?

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Erm...

You said you don't want a data plan, so it won't make a difference honestly. 3G will only mean something to you if you have a data plan. GPS will only mean something to you if you have a data plan. (The GPS is free and independent of data, but the mapping program that allows you to see the GPS "blip" requires data, and let's face it, you won't have WiFi while driving around to make up for it)

Just grab a 2G, and grab one now. It will be the best value for you in the long run. As long as you are comfortable with unlocking it that is.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
This will mean that there is going to be a minimum of 30 days from July 11th until you start seeing 3G iPhones for sale on the "used" market. This will also drive the price up on them in the used market substantially. ($199 to buy + $175 early termination fee + $70 minimum for one month's service = $445 + unlocking/jailbreaking "service" fees = $550+ for an 8 gig.)

This is an interesting, smart, and well thought-out observation, but it depends pretty heavily on a lack of used "original" iPhones post-3G launch; along with demand being equal to what it is now. I don't know if you can necessarily bank on that. Here's why:

I sold my used phone for around $450(unlocked, etc., etc.) and in the U.S. That was a few weeks ago, and the price was due to the phone shortage and international pressures acting on my auction -- demand was high in other words. But after the 3G launch, international demand will have died down(it's launching in 22 countries), "original" iPhones should flood the market as current users upgrade(not to mention the inevitability of enterprising folks selling unlocked 3Gs; they'll figure it out, trust), and those fiends within the U.S.(and elsewhere in the western world) who drove the price up of my phone won't be in the "used market" anymore. Not to mention the likely influx of other types of used phones -- Blackberries, Treos, Sidekicks, PocketPCs, what have you -- entering the market as others upgrade. As some types of demand might increase, demand from other areas will likely decrease. And I think supply will be increasing rather than decreasing. It's easier to say(IMO), knowing what we know now, that prices will decrease.

I'll concede: the demand might be there come July 12th. But I can't see it as a certainty; it's a gamble at best.

The kid should buy a 2G though, because buying an unlocked 3G will likely cost upwards of $600 after launch. Whether to do it before or after the 3G-launch however, I can't say. And the 3G will run on T-Mobiles network too(it still has the same 2.5G chip in it), but like I said, $600+ isn't worth a plastic back.

alex.stef

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
CrazEtooN, HymerSchmidt, you both have very strong arguments and it's pretty hard to decide. But I tend to believe that the price for 2G iPhones will slightly decrease

Arjun

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
CrazEtooN, HymerSchmidt, you both have very strong arguments and it's pretty hard to decide. But I tend to believe that the price for 2G iPhones will slightly decrease

Thats what I think. Theres no way that a first generation electronic could be worth a compareable amount to the new second generation of the same electronic. I think I'm going to risk it and just wait until July 11th ~ and hopefully I'll be in luck.

Unless the iPhone 3G comes at a good price, I think I'll just purchase the Edge iPhone.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The only reason why it might be comparable is because it is hacker friendly. Unless something dramatic changes and anyone can get the iPhone 3G.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Exactly. It's not that the older generation is truly worth more, it's that it will have a higher perceived worth to the hacker community. This will essentially drive prices up across the board. Assuming my theory is correct that is.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I will laugh over a paraphrase from "Dream Car Garage" and the 'portly' italian gent. Do you NEED a 'Stang GT500? No. Do you WANT one? Oh HE!! yes. :cool:

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I think buying the original iPhone is a no brainer. You won't feel the effects of the updated tech in the 3G and plus, IMHO the original iPhone is of better build quality.

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
I completely agree that you should get the original iPhone. It will be updated with the SDK so you will still have access to the extra programs coming out, and without a data plan you will not notice a difference, wifi is just as fast on either phone.

att_iPhone

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
2g price will drop.
1. Even though t-mob 3g is different, 3g iPhone still uses edge, same as 2g iPhone. No difference.
2. Flood of 2g devices from 3g upgraders. 2g iphone owners are automatically upgrade eligible for 3g no matter how much time is left on your contract.
3. $199 is now the benchmark price. Anybody who buys a phone for more than $199 is going to look like an idiot. Think about all the competitors whose phones are more than $199. Why buy one? Same for used 2g model.

Now, 2G iphone is still a great deal. Same software (2.0) and HD size as 3G. Still free WI-FI at all att wi-fi hotspots including McDonalds and Starbucks. It reminds me of my smoking days, I decide where to eat by what restaurants have att hotspots. Except for browsing which is sloooow, edge works great for pretty much everything else.

Arjun

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
2g price will drop.
1. Even though t-mob 3g is different, 3g iPhone still uses edge, same as 2g iPhone. No difference.
2. Flood of 2g devices from 3g upgraders. 2g iphone owners are automatically upgrade eligible for 3g no matter how much time is left on your contract.
3. $199 is now the benchmark price. Anybody who buys a phone for more than $199 is going to look like an idiot. Think about all the competitors whose phones are more than $199. Why buy one? Same for used 2g model.

Now, 2G iphone is still a great deal. Same software (2.0) and HD size as 3G. Still free WI-FI at all att wi-fi hotspots including McDonalds and Starbucks. It reminds me of my smoking days, I decide where to eat by what restaurants have att hotspots. Except for browsing which is sloooow, edge works great for pretty much everything else.
Sounds good, so I wait until July 11 I guess :).

FYI, I live in Ontario..So I'm on Rogers.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
If you don't already have an iPhone, it makes sense to get one now. The data plan is on par with AT&T's regular data plans. If you have an iPhone already, then I would upgrade ONLY if you do a lot of web browsing, e-mail, or whatever else that requires a quick connection. If this doesn't sound like you, then just stay with the current iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2