New iPhone (the next iPhone after iPhone 3G)

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Hopefully the next gen will be available for vzw

Yeah, I think Apple should definitely start offering the iPhone to more networks and then the iPhone will make an even greater impact! :cool:
@MrEClass,

We'll see. The biggest difference is that last year I was eager to dump my Treo of 2 years and try the new iPhone (having never had one before). This time around, I'm satisfied with the 3G-in fact, I'm hardly done playing with it (having only had it since last July), so I'm not in a hurry to buy a new phone just yet.

@Surf:

IIRC, Apple's exclusivity contract with AT&T ends in 2010 (?) so it wouldn't be for a while.

I have only had mine since the beginning of August but definitely wouldn't mind a new one this summer. ;) I'm sure the people @ Apple will mind me not giving them the $$ it costs though haha

legendofdon

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
I think an iPhone HD would be cool, one that has a greater screen resolution. That would be sweet for watching videos and playing games, and it just so happens that those are the two things I plan on doing as soon as I can get an iPhone.

Jerry Jaz

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Video lens in screen

I wonder what the WOW factor would be for video conferencing + a center screen lens (patent app for this by Apple).

Gluben

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
The thing I'm most worried about is the fact that we can think of hundreds of things we would like for the next iPhone, and which seem logical enough considering the production lines of related companies, but Apple usually hold off on a lot of things, and it makes me hope that they won't just go "OK, it's got 32GB, and it has a new camera...and that's it", just like they did with the iPhone 3G.

From February until June. That's plenty of time to put in every feature you can think of:

MMS
32GB
copy and paste
a new (possibly 3 or 5 megapixel) camera, with flash and zoom/autofocus
a front-facing camera
video calling
video recording
Flash support
a back button?
stereo Bluetooth
tethering
longer battery power
HD screen

To name but a few there. But I'm cautious. Apple could hold back on things like the camera, or the video features, as they always seem to do. I wouldn't mind if all the hardware was in place and the software available later via a download or upgrade. I just really want it to be the best device Apple can offer the market right now.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The thing I'm most worried about is the fact that we can think of hundreds of things we would like for the next iPhone, and which seem logical enough considering the production lines of related companies, but Apple usually hold off on a lot of things, and it makes me hope that they won't just go "OK, it's got 32GB, and it has a new camera...and that's it", just like they did with the iPhone 3G.

From February until June. That's plenty of time to put in every feature you can think of:

MMS
32GB
copy and paste
a new (possibly 3 or 5 megapixel) camera, with flash and zoom/autofocus
a front-facing camera
video calling
video recording
Flash support
a back button?
stereo Bluetooth
tethering
longer battery power
HD screen

To name but a few there. But I'm cautious. Apple could hold back on things like the camera, or the video features, as they always seem to do. I wouldn't mind if all the hardware was in place and the software available later via a download or upgrade. I just really want it to be the best device Apple can offer the market right now.

I could not have said it any better. :D

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
There are rumors of the code name going from 1,1 to 1,2 to 2,1 for the latest suggesting a bigger hardware update than the previous jump...we shall see :)

Darrell Bray

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
Better camera, better memory, maybe something revolutionary like multi-touch was. Everyone else tries to copy the IPhone, so it has to stay a step ahead, and minimal iteration is not going to do it.

oli_jgb

Feb 4, 2009
Visit site
I really like the idea of being able to upload videos straight to youtube from the iPhone.

I would like:
Improved Camera - 5mp? with FLASH (or LED for video)
COPY PASTE!
MMS
Video Functionality
Improved Bluetooth
a bigger (HD) screen without making the phone bigger
possibly more slimline from all angles?
more scratch resistant
Flash support
a 64 GB model so I can actually watch full length films
CHEAPER! haha
Also I would like the microphone hands free to be separate to the apple headphones (which are crappy)
Faster chips
more of the multi touch features
And of course a much improved battery. I end up lugging my laptop around on long journeys purely to give it some juice towards the end!

Gluben

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
There are rumors of the code name going from 1,1 to 1,2 to 2,1 for the latest suggesting a bigger hardware update than the previous jump...we shall see :)

Even so, they have skimped on features before, and knowing me, it'll be the one feature I wanted!

Still, it is nice to see this rumour so early, as we seem a bit more optimistic of more major changes to the iPhone. :)

3gmacattack

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
My perfect next gen iPhone would have the same form factor but have a bigger screen with higher resolution. The phone would have multi-tasking cabilities and push. It would also be nice if there were more cutomization options like keyboard color LOL idk to be honest no matter what it is I'm getting it and I'm going to love it.

stacylou

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
1. 32G w/ TomTom GPS software & maps "onboard"
2. Video camera (+ video calls, send pix & video without attaching to email)
3. Chromium shell in colors like the the nanos and shuffles
4. Better mapping to MS Outlook features (Contact categories, block space on calendar as Free/Busy/Tentative/Out of Office)

gshemesh

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
the new iphone needs a couple of things:
1. secondary camera
2. better main camera
3. longer battery life
4. copy n paste!
5. MMS
6. forward / delete texts
7. status notifier
8. better speaker
9. a native chat client
10. wifi wireless n
11. slightly larger screen with higher resolution
12. adobe flash
13. camera flash
14. bluetooth file exchange
15...can't really think of anything else but im sure there's more haha

Gluben

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
I sincerely hope that several of those will see fruition in June/July.

1. Secondary camera - If Apple are planning on iChat video conferencing, and this is highly likely, then it's a given.
2. Better main camera - I'd like at least 3 or 3.2 megapixels, maybe 5. Of course, this won't improve picture quality, but it would match many smartphones on the market.
3. Longer battery life - If the other features are also brought in, then this is certain.
4. Copy and paste - Really overdue, and should be in there.
5. MMS - Hopeful for this, for the same reason as copy and paste.
6. Forward/delete texts - The same for 4 and 5, much overdue.
7. Status notifier - Not as important, but probably a simple software update.
8. Better speaker - Possible, perhaps if Bluetooth is made stereo, but perhaps unlikely.
9. A native chat client - iChat, if video conferencing happens.
10. Wifi wireless N - Hopeful, but maybe not.
11. Slightly larger screen with higher resolution - Possible, although we could still have HD on the current screen, but reports suggest one is circling around out there.
12. Adobe Flash - Apple and Adobe are working on a solution to the problem, and with 5 months until June, it should be solved by then, I would've thought.
13. Camera flash - If a camera improvement is made, and to bring it in line with other phones, then yes, definitely.
14. Bluetooth file exchange - Maybe, but not as likely as the others.
15. Zoom or autofocus perhaps?
16. 32GB, please!

Saul

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't see the screen getting any bigger, particularly if they have to work in a second camera as you requested.

OLED technology is really coming along and would help with the size, weight, and battery life as it does not require a backlight, not to mention the fact that it would look incredible. I'm sure that this would be far to expensive for now but will become more common and cost effective in the not too distant future.

Grumps

Feb 12, 2009
www.nexxstudio.com
If we're talking about the next iPhone instead of software update.

I'll go for stuff like
- More memory for my hungry apps and multitask
- Improved camera
- Battery

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Have you guys seen this?:

Leaked Photos of Next Generation iPhone? - Mac Rumors

Looks like maybe the next gen iphone will not be shiny, which means fewer drops and fewer fingerprints! I have always been a lover of anti-glare screen protectors on mine because of the improved feel and look, so this is pretty exciting to me.

Also doesn't look like there is a place for a camera flash :(

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/02/12/begins-gen-iphone-case-leaks-start/ ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2