Ipad Pro or Air 2 or Wait?

brookeyydooo

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
HELP!
Deciding if I wanna order an iPad pro or wait for an air 3 or just settle for a air 2
I want an iPad for sure had the mini 4 ... to small, gave it to my mom
Is the pro too much iPad??
What are others thoughts who bought a pro or think it isn't worth the cost?
Or is it worth every penny?
Thinking of just getting the air 2 but is it best to wait.....?
decisions

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I would wait to see if a new iPad Air is released with the pro specs, if not I have my eye on the pro due to the specs.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I never understood the debate of waiting....to me it's pretty cut & dry.

Accept the fact that, tech changes SO quickly, if you think waiting will get you the latest & greatest you're sadly mistaken. Anything about to hit the shelf is already 3-4 models old. Do you seriously think Apple & others aren't several steps ahead of what they're willing to release to the public?

Take inventory of what your needs are - stop worrying about what this model has & that model has. Focus on what you what the tech to do & just pick the model that best suites those needs.

"Why should I pay $X for a model when a newer one is about to come out" - because as soon as you buy that newer model, there will be articles, blogs, posts & talk of the next improved model and you'll be complaining that you should have waited....so just stay focused on what you want the tech to do & buy the model that best fits that focus.

HELP!
Deciding if I wanna order an iPad pro or wait for an air 3 or just settle for a air 2
I want an iPad for sure had the mini 4 ... to small, gave it to my mom
Is the pro too much iPad??
What are others thoughts who bought a pro or think it isn't worth the cost?
Or is it worth every penny?
Thinking of just getting the air 2 but is it best to wait.....?
decisions

aslondon

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
+1 - You can never get ahead of the cycle just decide what you need or rationalize your decision to yourself and go on.

Al

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The Pro is nice...very nice but if you want something more compact the Air 2 is definitely very very strong. Heck, IMO, it doesn't need to get the Pro's specs at all but I suppose it wouldn't hurt. How will you use it? Will you stay home with it or be out and about with it a lot? I love the Pro's screen real estate but, for me, might opt for the Air 2 or Mini4 if I was planning to be real mobile with it. ...but that's just me. In fact, I will keep my Pro for home use and will probably get one of the aforementioned for work and high mobility.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You can wait for the Air 3 if the rumored Q1-Q2 2016 reveal date is true.

Otherwise, the Pro is a good choice if you want the absolute best tablet Apple has right now.

If you want something smaller, or want something cheaper, the Air 2 is still plenty powerful, likely more powerful than you actually need.

schmoejoe

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I think TechnologyTwitt nailed it. I've paid attention to technology (and motorcycles) for as long as I can remember and it changes faster than we the consumer can buy it up. If you have a need that can be met by the current technology, then go for it and buy it.

As for the iPad Pro, I find that it is quite easy to tote around. The analogy i've used before is when the iPhone 6 Plus came out; the folks who bought one got used to the size after awhile. When I picked up my iPad Pro, my first thought was "this IS huge". But now when picking up my 4th gen iPad, it seems tiny. As others have said before, the screen real estate and power is worth the price of admission (to me anyways).

Hope some of this was of help to you.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Personally I would wait. If the new air comes with the ability to use the keyboard and pencil it might be the perfect compromise if you think the pro is too much. That's what I would do.

Powerplaygraphix

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I think it comes down to 2 questions.
1. Do you want/need the Pencil? As an artist, the Pencil is what sold me on the Pro. I waited and watched every review that came out and waited on a few friends to get them to get their feedback and the Pencil made me go ahead and get one. It's my first iPad. I've got a Cintiq Companion Hybrid and I was hoping it would be able to replace that as a companion device. Hook to my laptop to work with Photoshop and other desktop apps or by it's self. It hasn't fully replaced my Cintiq but it has the potential to. If the Pencil doesn't benefit you then it all comes down to size. The functionality aspect of the Air 2/3 to the Pro outside of the Pencil is pretty much negligible and size is the only real difference.

2. Size: Do you want a HUGE iPad or is a 10" iPad plenty big enough for you. If you are looking for something mobile and you don't need the Pencil, then the Air 2 is probably plenty. It would have exactly the same specs as the Mini 4 you had only larger. If you need the Pencil, then you can wait on the Air 3 and see if it uses the Pencil and see which size works best for your needs.

Richardio

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
iPad air 3 scematic leaks are out and the specs suggest that it's going to have some of the new features of the iPad pro:

Also it seems that the new iPad will be released in March 2016 so just a month away, you shuould wait. As you'll only play a little bit more for an iPad air 3 compared to what you'd pay for an iPad air 2 now.

Considering Apple has a bad habit of making old devices completely unsuable with iOS updates. (iPad 3 is dead and unusable now) you should wait and get the newest stuff to make your invest last.

EpicPuzzle

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
If the rumour release date is true then certainly wait for another month...

I'm really looking forward to a very mobile but capable sketch pad.

I've tried many different stylus on iPad but none of the experience are as good as Pencil on iPad Pro.

If the next iPad Air or iPad mini can support pencil that would be perfect for me!

EpicPuzzle

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Also, among all the drawing Apps I have (SketchBook, Adobe ink, Paper, Bamboo paper, Inspire Pro...) I highly recommend "Procreate" by Savage Interactive, right now it's the only App I'd like to use on iPad drawing and sketching.

Powerplaygraphix

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Also, among all the drawing Apps I have (SketchBook, Adobe ink, Paper, Bamboo paper, Inspire Pro...) I highly recommend "Procreate" by Savage Interactive, right now it's the only App I'd like to use on iPad drawing and sketching.

Since I've had the iPad pro I've tried almost all the art programs I could find and keep coming back to Procreate. It's the most intuitive, best working art program on iOS right now. If they would just add better selection features, it would be almost perfect. When using some of the others, I find myself 2 finger tapping to undo ;)

I considered getting a Mini 4 to have a more mobile solution, but after using the Pencil vs the other Styluses, it made the difference. If they ever make it where the Pencil works with the smaller ones, that would be great. Knowing Apple though, they may not do that for 2 or 3 generations. They are notorious for making sure not to cannibalize product categories and they may feel that releasing an Air or a Mini with the the ability to use the Pencil one generation after launching the Pro would be against their typical product release cycle, especially since they are having such a hard time getting Pencils out, but, like I said above, all the "whispers" say the Air will have it so who knows.

I thought the Pro would be too large but it really doesn't feel as large as it should. I guess since I'm coming from the Cintiq Companion Hybrid as my only tablet, it's CONSIDERABLY more portable and usable on the go. It's not more difficult to carry than a typical professional notebook folio. It's so thin and light, it's really surprisingly portable.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
For me the Pro has become the "right" size. With the Smart Keyboard it starts to feel slightly heavy, to me, so I also got Smart Cover for when I don't need the keyboard. Apple's is just sucking money out of me like a siphon.

EpicPuzzle

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
...Knowing Apple though, they may not do that for 2 or 3 generations. They are notorious for making sure not to cannibalize product categories and they may feel that releasing an Air or a Mini with the the ability to use the Pencil one generation after launching the Pro would be against their typical product release cycle, especially since they are having such a hard time getting Pencils out, but, like I said above, all the "whispers" say the Air will have it so who knows.

If that is the case (which is very possible), then I will have a long wait before I can have my ideal setup.

I just want a small sketchbook size/weight for quick sketch/concept art, if it go to the size and weight of iPad Pro I'd want one that can use desktop class software (Photoshop, Manga Studio, etc.) for more finished work...

Projectxyz

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Depends on your requirements if you are locking for a bigger screen and you need it for work or art work then the pro will be a perfect choice but for now I think you can either buy the pro or wait for Air 3 but defiantly ipad air 3 will not have the same specs of ipad Pro and that why they call it Pro!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2