No Compromises

thecaringkind

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello all! Just purchased the 16gig iPad mini w/retina display yesterday and I thought I'd share a few thoughts.

I have owned all kinds of tablets from the original iPad to a Microsoft Surface and each had their pluses and minuses their individual pros and cons. I'm the type of person who just needs certain devices to perform at a minimum level in order for me to make them my 'daily driver'. As an example my previous tablet was the new Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7". Nice tablet. Thin, light, good feel in the hand, excellent screen and outstanding speakers. The Snapdragon 800 chipset is nice but I still experienced niggling hang ups and didn't feel like the device was any faster than supposedly slower chipsets. Worst aspect of all? TOTALLY locked into the Amazon ecosystem and that just doesn't work for me. I found myself having to compromise with too many missing apps and account connectivity. With the iPad mini I simply don't have to compromise.

The screen on the mini is very sharp and while I wish it were much more vibrant it is still an excellent display. I admit to being spoiled by the HDX speakers but the iPads are terrible no matter how you slice it; even still that's what headphones are for. The build quality of the mini is unquestioned and the A7 chip feels snappy. Hands down best element to owning the new mini? Access to what is still the hands down BEST app ecosystem available today. There simply are no compromises for I can access everything I need or want in an app via Apple's store.

I still have access to my google apps/account/browser as well as my Amazon Prime videos. What more could I want?

Is the experience a perfect one? Wouldn't say that because Apple still extorts the public for what they charge for memory and their hardware as good as it is remains overpriced. However overall on balance you simply get a much better experience with their devices particularly for avid media consumers like me.

Excellent tablet. No compromises when it comes to what I desire in mobile devices.
Good enough for me! CHEERS! :beer:;)

MERCDROID

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, brother! I'm enjoying the new Mini, as well. I came from a Nexus 7 2013. While it was a great tablet, it felt more like a phone. After moving to the new Mini, I realized how much I had been missing out on, from not giving iOS a try awhile ago. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!!!

Again, welcome!!!

thecaringkind

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and kind words folks. I'm happy to be here. I'm enjoying my mini, (the retina display is razor sharp and the color gamut doesn't bother me much at all), realizing almost daily how much I was missing with so many other tablets. The mini offers more and executes very very we'll in most regards.

Cheers!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm still trying to decide if I want to use the mini or the Air. My job supplied me with both. The Air that they gave me is 32 GB but the Mini is 64 GB. I believe that the speakers that the OP mentioned on the mini are far less powerful than the Air's speakers. And the screen isn't as bright. I like the size if the mini for home use. But at work, the Air better suits my needs. I don't have to pick one over the other but I want to. It is a hassle managing two iPads and my iPhone (first world problems).

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
They gave you the Air and the mini, nice.

One of my responsibilities at work is to assess the effectiveness out technology is with students with special needs. So any technology we have, I get to keep for "research". Our district replaced the iPad 4s with Airs, but then decided that minis could be better for small children so they bought those too. Therefore, I got both.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
One of my responsibilities at work is to assess the effectiveness out technology is with students with special needs. So any technology we have, I get to keep for "research". Our district replaced the iPad 4s with Airs, but then decided that minis could be better for small children so they bought those too. Therefore, I got both.

Nice, and I commend you sir for your work with special needs.