Phone app for iPads?

necigrad

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I typically don't follow these threads, so maybe this has been vocalized before.

I was in class one day and someone pulled out his huge Droid. I realized it was almost like holding an iPad Mini to his head, and that got me to thinking. The iPad has a cellular connection as an option. It has Bluetooth. It has everything it needs to function as a phone. Why has Apple not put the Phone app on iPads? Why has no developer done this, or have they and I've just never noticed it? Am I just more then slightly crazy?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can only assume that Apple wants to keep the iPhone a smart "phone" and the iPad a "tablet". Besides, I haven't read or heard if people demanding a so-called phablet from Apple, but I could be mistaken.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well it does have facetime, which is close, but if you really do want the phone app, you could always submit feedback to Apple.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You would need to add in the cellular radio to make it work like a phone and the iPad does not have that. It's not just a question of adding in an app.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Put on a voice over IP app like Skype, and there's your phone (kinda).

I believe that facetime will have an audio-only option in iOS7, so there's your integrated phone! :D

necigrad

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
You would need to add in the cellular radio to make it work like a phone and the iPad does not have that. It's not just a question of adding in an app.

My whole premise was based on the iPad (well some of them) having a cellular radio for data. Is this not correct? Are they different pieces of hardware? My whole logic was that the hardware was there.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Google voice would probably work. There is an app that works over wifi. It's called talkatone. I used it in Europe when connected to wifi. Works great.

todd riddle

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
You can use any of the calling apps available for ipad. Just install the apps and you are on the go...
Some of the best calling apps for ipad are
  • Rebtel
  • icall
  • viber
  • fring
  • talkatone

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
My whole premise was based on the iPad (well some of them) having a cellular radio for data. Is this not correct? Are they different pieces of hardware? My whole logic was that the hardware was there.

​It is a different piece of hardware that is absent in all iPads. It's like assuming if you added a second dial to your FM tuner you could listen to AM stations - they are different radios.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77