So much for the iPad 3 rumor this year..

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
What makes you think it's not gonna happen? Retina display and some other goodies for the holiday season? Still an entirely possible idea... and Apple wouldn't mention it now, or people wouldn't buy the iPad 2.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not going to get into all the reasons this would never happen. Just think if you were the one that bought the iPad 2 and another new model is out in 6 months. If they did this Alot of people would be pissed off big time. What they have done today has already cemented the iPad 2 while destroying the competition. So why would they even need to bring out the iPad 3 at that time? The iPad 2 has many models cheaper than the Xoom which Steve teased. Then there's the Playbook which is only rumoured to be released April 10th this is after the second wave of iPads have already been shipped. There is still no word yet on the cost of the Playbook so that may also be a nail in the coffin if they don't discount the price HEAVILY. Then there's HP with no release date or price so that's also in the air.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm not going to get into all the reasons this would never happen. Just think if you were the one that bought the iPad 2 and another new model is out in 6 months. If they did this Alot of people would be pissed off big time. What they have done today has already cemented the iPad 2 while destroying the competition. So why would they even need to bring out the iPad 3 at that time? The iPad 2 has many models cheaper than the Xoom which Steve teased. Then there's the Playbook which is only rumoured to be released April 10th this is after the second wave of iPads have already been shipped. There is still no word yet on the cost of the Playbook so that may also be a nail in the coffin if they don't discount the price HEAVILY. Then there's HP with no release date or price so that's also in the air.
Exactly. And I can attest to that. March 11, wait in line and grab one. Have a grand old time with it and then BAM, mid Summer rumors about a BETTER iPad in the Fall...I would be irate.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Exactly I know I would be mad as hell too. You gotta remember Apple is all about user experience so they wouldn't do this IMO.

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for my ipad 2 to be delivered. While I was looking at the apple store, I clicked on the online chat.

I wanted to ask about delivery times but also the ipad 3 release at Christmas. Asked them if it's true, as I wouldn't be a happy bunny after laying out ?660 only for it to be obsolete in 6 months.

The reply was, although they understood my concerns, they couldn't speculate on any apple product that has not been officially anounced. I asked if that was company policy...... Yes.

Who knows, I hope they don't as it'll be a kick in the teeth for everyone who buys an ipad 2. I think a new iphone & ipad every 18 months is fine. Most carrier contracts are 24 months these days so it would fit well.

Products from all brands are just coming out to fast. As a result quality control suffers as much as your wallet. They're not PC hardware which I could understand the constant churning out of products. We're talking several hundred pounds a pop for these things in a world where money has stopped growing on trees!

SubEd

Feb 11, 2009
Visit site
Your iPad2 would hardly be "obsolete" after 6 months. Technology is always a moving target. If you must have the latest and greatest, be prepared to pay for it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Your iPad2 would hardly be "obsolete" after 6 months. Technology is always a moving target. If you must have the latest and greatest, be prepared to pay for it.

...and be prepared for that say at the top of the heap to be short-lived...

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it is always moving fast but I dont want to be laying out that kind of money for it to be replaced inside 6 months. That's ?660 GBP, I'm in the UK.

It would stink, just because companies seem to think it's cool to keep tight lipped about new products untill they're weeks from being released. It hacks me off.

What the hell is wrong with saying you have a new product coming out? It's counter productive, they'll lose sales because people are going to wait to see if ipad 3 is out at christmas. It could be stopped if apple said 'yeah, theres ipad 3 coming out but dont let that stop you buying ipad 2 as gen 3 isn't out untill late next year'.

That would be way more acceptable. We would be able to make an informed judgment on a high price purchase.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The main reason the iPad 2 was released as a modest upgrade was simply due to Verizon and their timing. The same reason the next generation of iPhone was pushed back from the normal product release cycle. I know this as fact and if you think about it the iPad 2 came out around the same time Verizon released the iPhone 4. Verizon pushed for Apple to have a 3G iPad for their network.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Apple won't release iPad 3 this year for one reason. They're not as stupid as HP. Look what's going on with the HP tablet. If apple released iPad 3 this year they would be in the same boat.

---
- Sent from my iPhone -Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2