Choppy Facetime

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Can the iPad 2 sufficiently FaceTime? I just got one for my grandparents and it loses connection and is very choppy. This after trying 3 different people to FaceTime (who all use different wifi and devices on their ends).

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have that problem as well. Could be wifi issues with connectivity. Facetime needs a strong wifi signal. Have you tried it on cellular?

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm trying find out. If it's their wifi or if the ipad 2 doesn't handle FaceTime well on the newer iOS versions.
I wanted to try speed test.net when I was over there but didn't have time. They live 6 hrs from me too so won't be back there for a few months.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi, do you mean the iPad 2 (old) or the iPad Air 2 which is newer?

In theory any device with FaceTime installed should be capable... in theory!

I've got the iPad Air 2 and it FaceTimes beautifully :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's what I'm trying find out. If it's their wifi or if the ipad 2 doesn't handle FaceTime well on the newer iOS versions.
I wanted to try speed test.net when I was over there but didn't have time. They live 6 hrs from me too so won't be back there for a few months.

Speedtest.net isn't going to tell you what you need to know. Wifi is probably losing connectivity intermittently. Mine does that some. I have to reboot my modem a lot.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
It's the older ipad 2. The tablet itSelf is not very snappy and I've seen people mention not to install the newer iOS update as it Boggs it way down. I've down all the tricks I found on YouTube to speed the device up so lag on the device itself is minimal.

I'm just looking for input from other people with the older ipad 2 whether they are able to carry out a 5-10 min long FaceTime call without the video dropping out, it getting real choppy or dropping out completely.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Speedtest.net isn't going to tell you what you need to know. Wifi is probably losing connectivity intermittently. Mine does that some. I have to reboot my modem a lot.

Ya think so? They have a newer modem from Bell but I guess I didn't consider that angle. Do you know if there is an app that can test your modem and router for performance issues?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ya think so? They have a newer modem from Bell but I guess I didn't consider that angle. Do you know if there is an app that can test your modem and router for performance issues?

Don't need an app. I can tell when the wifi isn't connecting well. I usually go and turn it off in settlngs, then turn it back on. That seems to help for a while. My provider is Comcast. They have an app I use to send the modem a signal to restart. It seems to work better that way than unplugging it. Your provider might can send yours a signal. I would talk to them for sure.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
We FaceTime with my family all the time with them using an iPad2. For the most part we don't have issues, but occasionally they have connectivity issues because of their network.