Note Taking App(s) for student?

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
Just to play the devil's advocate....my pen and paper were never able to record the audio from the class or meeting...(my Livescribe pen would, but that was not ordinary paper or a plain pen)
;)

g.711#AC

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Notabilty will put out an update this week. However rthe current release is the fastest (tracking your finger/stylus) app out there full features, password feature great app. DocAS Just released version 3 and it is good to. Pentilum is the worst app available imo

Also notability will release an update in a few days.

One big point I like with this app is that if you email them a problem or suggest you get a reply quickly. I will need a follup post to see if they took any of my ideas. Like expanded export feature.

Lastly docsAS released an update monday and that app rocks now.

Last edited:

Seeker2787

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully this thread will pick up steam for students in the fall....

I have used 5 or 6 different note-taking apps and keep coming back to Notability. It has decent organization of courses, multiple ink styles, voice recording, zoom writing, and other features. Other apps such as Penultimate, Notes Plus, and Capture Notes each have pros and cons as well, but for whatever reason, I keep coming back to Notability.

Hope this helps a little. I'm pretty sure there has been an "app-shoot out" on iMore that involved a few note taking apps. Might also be worth checking out.

Antrikshy

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Penultimate used to be great because it was alone. Take a look at both CaptureNotes 2 and Notability - they are currently the very best available. CN2 is easier to organize, and currently Notability has the better macro function. But CN2 has a huge refresh coming that should make it the clear winner.

Penultimate is still really good and really cheap.

What do you mean by "alone"? You mean before it got acquired by Evernote? There have been no updates since the acquisition. I am pretty sure that you will still be able to use the app without using any of the Evernote integration features, like the Skitch app (they got acquired too). Plus, those who use Evernote will have extra convenience.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I used Note Taker HD and Penultimate.
I have to say though that Penultimate has a far better writing feeling but the page is also filled very quick. Giving a little bit less natural writing experience Note Taker HD has a far better folder system. I use Note Taker HD more often than Penultimate.

Best regards,
Johannes

Daniel.Jones

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Evernote

I am going to be getting an iPad for school here soon and I am looking forward to using it in school to take notes.
I have been looking at a lot of notetaking apps and am having a hard time deciding what one(s) would be the best.
To start off, I want one that I can write on instead of typing and specifically one that will allow me to use a stylus so the writing won't be huge and become cumbersome. I am in many science style classes so not only will I be taking many notes I will have drawings that will accompany them with all shapes and sizes so I would like one that I am able to write and draw on.
Also, if possible I am looking for one that I can easily organize, read, and study off of that I will be able to just flip through.
If it has an option to highlight, change font size/color/type that would be great but it isn't a must.

The two I have noticed that seem to be good competitors are Penultimate and Noteshelf.
I am just looking for other options as well as personal opinions from other students/note takers on these apps or ones they have found useful for them.

Sorry this is so long but I really appreciate any feedback.

You can try "evernote", that is really a nice app for the purpose. I have been using it for taking notes on my iPad 2 and sync it with my office laptop. It provide me all the options that I require.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Daniel, it's nice to see you have discovered Evernote (in several threads). While I agree that it's an awesome app, it's not the kind of note-taking app students need, since you are restricted to the keyboard for input. All the other recommended apps allow free-form input with finger, stylus, or keyboard - which is what the OP's have been looking for.

Julie_Noteshelf

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Good news! Noteshelf now allows Evernote Auto-Publish so you can automatically publish your selected notebooks via your Evernote account. Just a little heads up. :)

I'm currently using Notability for my MBA class.
My only complaint is it does not have Evernote integration (it does sync to dropbox though)
It also has a major revision coming Mid-January according to the developer website.
I do hear good things about Noteshelf and was very tempted but at the time Noteshelf did not allow both Handwriting and typing text (it does now) and it was also $4.99 compared to Notability's $0.99 price.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77