Used iPad buying help

Spat

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Trying to buy little grandson iPad 16g wifi. When seeing(reviewing) the iPad what do I need to look for? I know about checking for scratches and things for appearance but what else? Thank you for help. Kind of scared about buying used but for very young child and can't see going full price.
TIA

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anything extra needs to looked at since iPads are standardized to be pretty much the same. I got a used one from craigslist for a really good price. ($300 for 32gb gen 1) I'm lucky because the guy repaired apple products for a living. he threw in the apple case and all the cords extra. most other listings I saw threw in cases and extras too...I don't think I can say the same about eBay. it's also safe to assume most used iPads will be in good condition since most people take care of it and put it in a case immediately after purchase.

but I think you can ask these two questions to get feel for the seller:
1. what firmware is it on?
2. when did you buy it?

...if you're lucky, you'll get an iPad bought as a Christmas present, so it might still be under AppleCare for a couple more months.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
...if you're lucky, you'll get an iPad bought as a Christmas present, so it might still be under AppleCare for a couple more months.

I bought a 1st gen from eBay as soon as they announced iPad 2. I emailed the seller and asked for the serial number so I could check the warranty myself on Apples website. It still had 11 months of warranty AND I saved $300! And yes...pay attention to feedback! Beware of people with low numbers of sales too. 100% but only a few items sold still scares me.

Warranty link:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Travelin'Rich

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine from Apple as a refurb when the iPad2 was announced and the iPad1 prices dropped. When they have it in stock, Apple sells the 16g WiFi iPad1 for $350.00 plus tax and shipping. It comes with a full 1 year Apple warranty. For their refurb they replace the outer shell and and battery so it's as close to brand new as you can get without actually being brand new. If you want some piece of mind this might be worth considering.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I sold my first gen and these are the things you should check before you buy to make sure it's working properly. If it's a 3G hopefully the person will browse the web to make sure it works. Find out when it was purchased so you'll know how much time you have left on the Apple 1 Year warranty. Find out if it's Jailbroken. Turn it off and then back on, once it's back on rotate the screen to make sure it rotates. Try the volume keys and mute/orientation lock. If it still has Apple warranty you can be a little less concerned about checking it out because you can still take it in for replacement. Make sure iy has the USB cable and power plug. GL :D

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If you see the iPad in person, check for dead pixels. I had a couple on my very first iPad

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234