Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 604ac
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

285 Posts

Default VPN Icon

Hello all,

I just starting using a VPN on my iPhone 6s Plus with iOS 9.3.2 Public Beta 1 on it. The one I am using is VPNDefender, which provides something crazy like 50GB a month for free. Anyway,

Ive noticed every now and then the VPN icon on the top of the screen will disappear. This happens mostly when I bring it out of sleep, it will take a split second for it to reappear on the top of the screen. Also, at least once, I think I noticed it disappear and reappear as I was using it. Does this mean the VPN is no longer active? Is this a common issue, and if so how do I work around it?

Default Re: VPN Icon

I don't know. I don't recall ever experiencing anything like that with a VPN connection. It's possible that it's an iOS glitch or that the connection is temporarily lost, but I'm just guessing. Hopefully, someone who has a definitive answer will reply soon.
    iMore Intermediate

204 Posts

Right, I believe that in order to save battery, vpn connections are shut down when the phone is locked. See https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

It's unfortunate that you don't at least have a choice.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

285 Posts

Hmmm. Its unfortunate that it does it at all, at least without giving said option. However, nothing I do on it except for the occasional bank account check is terribly sensitive. None of the emails I get from work or otherwise are secret in any way so it really isnt that big of a deal, and whatever comes over the connection while it is locked isnt going to do anyone else any good either. I just want it to secure my transmissions as I am actually using it so it seems to do that well enough.
    iMore Newbie

13 Posts

Using TunnelBear the VPN icon does not seem to go out when the phone locks out. The VPN icon is on the lock screen immediately when I hit the home or the power button.Now whether it pauses or not I'm not sure. I've tried it a few times just now but have also noticed the icon always on, as long as TunnelBear is connected. I've used TB since 2014 and never had an issue on Android (when I had it) and so far iOS is giving me the same stability/performance.

BTW, using 9.3.1 on a 6.
    doogald likes this.