Consolidated message list on iOS

RyanGermann

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
BlackBerry 10 fan here... using my iPhone 6 Plus as my daily driver out of spite (yes, SPITE!) towards BlackBerry management who have kicked BlackBerry 10 fans in the crotch one too many times.

Well, never let anyone tell you that spite can't be a force for positive change :)

I'm getting used to using the iPhone as my daily driver after about 4 days, but I have a question that I hope isn't provocative... but if there's a known answer to this, or a previous discussion topic, please just point me in the right direction.

Does iOS 9 have a consolidated message list like the Hub on BlackBerry 10? If not, why doesn't it? I know that BlackBerry intends to bring the Hub to other platforms (which really should be redundant because other OS developers should have such a facility) but is there a reason why Apple hasn't built such a thing into iOS already?

The Hub on Android (on the new Priv) proves one thing: a consolidated messaging app like the Hub being tightly integrated into the OS makes for a better experience than having it just be "an app" that floats on top of the OS.

On BlackBerry 10, third party app developers can integrate their messaging into the Hub, so individual messages show up inline the list in a normalized way with other messages, but still being filterable, searchable etc, all on one place, with built-in "compose" functionality and the ability to launch the "host app" if desired. Developers of communications apps on BB10 hook into the Hub because it's on every BB10 device and provides a streamlined and consistent user interface for reading and responding to all types of messages, both simple text and graphical.

This should be child's play to build into iOS... but it's not there, at least not as far as I can tell.

Why isn't it?

Is it a design philosophy? Do iOS designers believe that "text messages belong in a text message app, and tweets belong in a twitter app, and emails belong in an email app" etc.?

I hope I don't upset the apple cart here (really, no pun intended)... I just find it puzzling why something that seems kind-of obvious isn't present on iOS, and fully acknowledge that it might be right there, in my face, but I just can't see it, or perhaps a third-party app can do it?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean a place on the device that confuses all message types into one convoluted mess? I hope not. There's too much crap on iOS already that can't be deleted (does anyone ever actually use the Stocks app?).

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I'm glad you're (mostly) enjoying your iPhone. I'm not entirely sure why Apple doesn't offer a consolidated message platform but, to be honest with you, I don't really feel like I need one. Notification Center handles all of my incoming notifications from Messages, email, Twitter, and any other app I have in there. Furthermore, I don't really want my Messages cluttered with tweets and emails. Perhaps this is just me though. I'm sure others will chime in as well.
Regardless, I'm sure you'll learn to love your iPhone. Feel free to ask any questions you have and post often!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My Notification Center handles all of my messages, emails, reminders etc. just fine. I don't have a need for a "hub". Enjoy your iPhone!

RyanGermann

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so it would be more of a design / UX decision than something they're going to do. Is there a tutorial on optimizing the notifications panel?

Personally, I don't care what the "network" was i.e. txt, email, twitter, whatsapp... the sender and the subject are what matter. If someone sends me a whatsapp message or an email, I don't care about the particular 'data format' so much.

What I see in the Notifications panel is a list of messages sorted by message type, a very secondary data point... reverse chronological would be best for me, regardless of message type.

Is this possible?

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Settings -> Notifications
You can change the sort order (by most recent or manual by app).
You can also turn on/off grouping by app.
From this screen you can also customize exactly how and where the notifications appear (notification drawer, lock screen, etc).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77