iOS 9: Text replacement stopped working

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I had a whole bunch of text shortcuts that had been working fine on my iPhone and iPad. I noticed in the last couple of days that they weren't working, and when I checked on the iPhone they were all gone and on the iPad all but one were gone. Both are using the same iCloud account.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After installing the official iOS 9.1 version and setting my device as new, I noticed my previous keyboard shortcuts were no longer available. I figured that when I had finished setting things up, especially iCloud, the shortcut would return, however, they never did. I wasn't negatively impacted by it, though. I just created a few that I use often and went about my business. I'm currently on the iOS 9.2 Public beta 2 and my keyboard shortcuts are still available to me.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If they're completely gone from Settings > General > Keyboards > Text Replacement my gut tells me they're not coming back and I can only recommend inputting the shortcuts again. I haven't experienced that issue before.

marcobrien

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a Mac? If so, add a new shortcut on there & it should sync all your old ones back.

If not, try hard resetting the phone by holding home & power buttons until you see the Apple logo. If still missing, try adding a few new ones on both iPhone & iPad and in my experience, they usually come back (sooner or later).

I rely on them so heavily, I always take screenshots of all the shortcuts before upgrading to a new beta. Pain in the arise to re-add them all manually, but better than completely losing them..

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine are still there. But I don't use them much. A few. I mostly use the SwiftKey memory and the app KuaiBoard. KuaiBoard has all I need, including paragraphs I use here on iMore a lot.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Earlier this year I couldn't delete any. They kept coming back. There was no fix for it and it was interfering with my texting on the stock keyboard. I finally restored my phone as new. That did the trick.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2