iMessage won't switch back to SMS

dalmoradie1

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a problem with iMessage not switching back to SMS when I turn it off.

I have an iMessage thread with my sister, but now that I switched the iMessage off, I can't send her any texts and I get the message "Cannot send message - iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message".

I have an Iphone6.

Is anybody else having the same problem?

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
i know this may sound dumb but, i dont remember now what settings looked like but. I had imessages disabled wich didnt realize when you do that the send as sms option goes away it hides that whole menu of options. When I turn it back on so imessages is on i have the option set to send as sms IMG_2188.jpg i attached a photo if you see what I mean. Once I set it up like that when my data connection was turned off and wifi was turned off it would send as a sms. I turn my data connection off because my data plan is only 250mb ( dont pay for what i dont use lol )

pararigger

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, all you have to do is delete the thread and start a new one. It's been a known issue for some time now, especially for those that switch from iPhone to another platform. Except in that case you have to make sure that those who are texting you with iMessage start a new thread, which gets annoying.
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
ive never had delete any threads, my friend she uses data constantly her messages come thru as imessages. all do is turn off my data and what not close out the app from recents menu and go back in. Only thing do notice it LAGS anyone else using regular sms doesnt lag.

wildmangk

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Now this has me wondering...how much data does 1 single imessage consume? I send ALOT of imessages and thats probably why im almost hitting my data limit almost every month. BTW, has anyone else noticed that the new iphones consume more data? Idk, maybe its just me...anyone?

Sent from my iPhone 6+

TechNYC

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi dalmoradie1,

Here's the solution:

Tap Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > Apple ID (your email address) > Sign Out. iMessage should now display your phone number instead of your email address

iQ50

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
@TechNYC

I made an account just to tell you that you are the first person in all the internet that actually answered this question. Every forum, even Apple's, has a version this question "I don't want to use iMessage, so I turned it off. Now I can't send SMS. How do I fix it?" Then someone always asks, Why don't you want to use it?" or "Just turn it on, and don't worry about it." THANK YOU, for answering with an actual solution!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2