Remove photos from iPhone without loosing photo's from other devices

Stuart Goldberg

May 11, 2011
Visit site
My wife wants to free up space on her iPhone 5, but retain her photos on other devices. I have read I need to turn off My Photo Stream. Do I then remove? Do I then turn My Photo Stream back on? Again, she does not want to loose photo's. She would like to continue to add new photos on all devices as she accumulates new ones. Is my understanding correct or do I follow some other procedure? OS8 on iPhone and iPad, osX10.
Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife wants to free up space on her iPhone 5, but retain her photos on other devices. I have read I need to turn off My Photo Stream.
No, that is incorrect. Photos placed in the photostream folder is sent to iCloud to be displayed/shared on all of your devices. If you want to free up space on her device, she needs to offload the photos in her camera roll to a computer, external drive or cloud service like iCloud Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etcetera.
Do I then remove? Do I then turn My Photo Stream back on? Again, she does not want to loose photo's. She would like to continue to add new photos on all devices as she accumulates new ones. Is my understanding correct or do I follow some other procedure? OS8 on iPhone and iPad, osX10.
Thanks
It must be understood that photos stored in Photostream are only saved on Apple's servers for 30 days. Having said that, she will still need to offload the photos from her camera roll at some point to make room for new photos to share via photostream. This is --> my <-- situation: I have a OneDrive account strictly for photo storage. I use the OneDrive app on my iPhone to upload photos to OneDrive online. If I need to share those photos with family and friends, I can create a folder, place specific pics to share or share the entire stock by sending them a link. Alternatively, I can install the OneDrive app on all of my devices and view those photos at will. I can then delete uploaded photos from my camera roll. The downside (at least for some people) is that I cannot view the OneDrive photos without being connected to the internet unless I opt to download them onto my device which is defeating the purpose...:)

Stuart Goldberg

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand. I don't think there is a camera roll in OS8. I guess maybe a better way for me might be to transfer/copy the photos (photo app) on my iPhone to my desktop Mac (so I don't loose them) and delete some or all photos off my iPhone? Do you know how I would go about transferring?

aiwama

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
You are right! There's no Camera Roll anymore and I only managed to upload to OneDrive the photos that are in Albums (max. one month old). Everything in Photos are kind of out of reach when it comes to upload to the cloud. Somebody said that taking away Camera Roll in iOS8 will prove to be Apple's 'New Coke' moment. I totally agree...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2