Secret Settings

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It is my understanding that those things are available via tools available to bonafide developers. One of those kinds of things that if you're a developer - you know what to do... the proverbial "If you have to ask..." things.

Daniel Smith4

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
It is my understanding that those things are available via tools available to bonafide developers. One of those kinds of things that if you're a developer - you know what to do... the proverbial "If you have to ask..." things.

I do have a developer account but can't seem to find anything in the Dev portal which would give me access to it, shame, looks awesome

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It was never made public and wasn't normally made available to devs?the guy that discovered it found a back door.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Shame, if Apple did allow users that much control over their phone I think it'd be a huge step forward

Agreed. No need to make it the default setting, but I wish they would allow some sort of "Pro" or "Developer" mode.

Unlikely, but a guy can dream.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Agreed. No need to make it the default setting, but I wish they would allow some sort of "Pro" or "Developer" mode.

Unlikely, but a guy can dream.

If they did that, they'd double the support they do and have to pass the cost onto the consumer. Remember all those guys loading the beta that don't have a clue what they're doing? Can you imagine them accessing pro or developer mode just to see what it does? <eye roll>

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If they did that, they'd double the support they do and have to pass the cost onto the consumer. Remember all those guys loading the beta that don't have a clue what they're doing? Can you imagine them accessing pro or developer mode just to see what it does? <eye roll>

Bingo. That would be a very bad move on Apple's part...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Shame, if Apple did allow users that much control over their phone I think it'd be a huge step forward

Honestly if Apple did that it wouldn't be as great as you might think. I had that problem when I had Android it causes tinkering fatigue. There are so many options and settings in the options that it takes you like half an hour just to set up your device. I would consider myself an advanced user and if I tire halfway through I can't even imagine a run of the mill user. Plus what Alli already mentioned, more options means more things for users to do and get wrong.

I'm with you and Massie I wish they would have some more advanced version of iOS that was only downloadable through their site. So advanced users would know where to go and get it but that is more work for them with little to no benefit so like Massie said a guy can dream right.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you and Massie I wish they would have some more advanced version of iOS that was only downloadable through their site.

Yes, exactly! We can install what we want on our Macs, yet our mobile devices stay limited. I'm not saying they need to make it a switch in the Settings app, but for people willing (and able) to do the work I wish it were an option.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Honestly if Apple did that it wouldn't be as great as you might think. I had that problem when I had Android it causes tinkering fatigue. There are so many options and settings in the options that it takes you like half an hour just to set up your device. I would consider myself an advanced user and if I tire halfway through I can't even imagine a run of the mill user. Plus what Alli already mentioned, more options means more things for users to do and get wrong.

I'm with you and Massie I wish they would have some more advanced version of iOS that was only downloadable through their site. So advanced users would know where to go and get it but that is more work for them with little to no benefit so like Massie said a guy can dream right.

After setting up my Nexus 4(took half an hour) I didn't do anymore to it:)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
After setting up my Nexus 4(took half an hour) I didn't do anymore to it:)

But again, with the exception of the tremendous influx of n00bs who just have to force the issue with iOS 7, the overwhelming majority of users on this site would be capable of venturing down that hole... Unfortunately, these forums have been overrun of late with a large number of people here who would do exactly as Alli suggested... screw their device up royally then come here holding the pieces and begging for somebody to help them reassemble it.

The problem with tech n00bs is that often they overstate their skill set and the understanding of their technical prowess... (and they vote, and they reproduce and they purchase tech toys...)

If I had a vote, it would be NAY.

Daniel Smith4

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I suppose I can see both sides to it, but I'm not entirely sure how someone can screw up their phone simply by going into settings and changing a few things. These "secret settings" look fairly straight forward to me, nothing but "on off" or sliders to tweak things. I think even an iPhone noob would be able to figure it out.

I think being able to customize iOS a little more to your own liking would be great, it'd add a personal touch to it. I don't like Android because it feels too clunky and unpolished, I don't think having more advanced iOS settings would have that effect, Apple could find a way of implementing it well.

Still, it's not going to happen anyway.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I suppose I can see both sides to it, but I'm not entirely sure how someone can screw up their phone simply by going into settings and changing a few things. These "secret settings" look fairly straight forward to me, nothing but "on off" or sliders to tweak things. I think even an iPhone noob would be able to figure it out.

I think being able to customize iOS a little more to your own liking would be great, it'd add a personal touch to it. I don't like Android because it feels too clunky and unpolished, I don't think having more advanced iOS settings would have that effect, Apple could find a way of implementing it well.

Still, it's not going to happen anyway.
If you think Android is unpolished then you haven't used 4.2.2 on the HTC One or Nexus 4.