Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By Alli
  • 1 Post By Massie
  • 3 Post By Fausty82
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Daniel Smith4's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

    Default Secret Settings

    Someone posted this link on Twitter so I decided to do some research into it

    Hidden iOS 7 Settings Reveal What Apple Is Working On

    and found several other links mentioning it

    Hidden settings in iOS 7 beta show extra gesture, multitasking and folder options

    iOS 7 secret settings revealed | CNET UK

    Doesn't seem to reveal how to access them though, anyone have any ideas?
  2. #2  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,099 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,980 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    It is my understanding that those things are available via tools available to bonafide developers. One of those kinds of things that if you're a developer - you know what to do... the proverbial "If you have to ask..." things.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Daniel Smith4's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    It is my understanding that those things are available via tools available to bonafide developers. One of those kinds of things that if you're a developer - you know what to do... the proverbial "If you have to ask..." things.
    I do have a developer account but can't seem to find anything in the Dev portal which would give me access to it, shame, looks awesome
  4. #4  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0.2

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    It was never made public and wasn't normally made available to devs—the guy that discovered it found a back door.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    Daniel Smith4's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    It was never made public and wasn't normally made available to devs—the guy that discovered it found a back door.
    Shame, if Apple did allow users that much control over their phone I think it'd be a huge step forward
  6. #6  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0.2

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Smith4 View Post
    Shame, if Apple did allow users that much control over their phone I think it'd be a huge step forward
    Agreed. No need to make it the default setting, but I wish they would allow some sort of "Pro" or "Developer" mode.

    Unlikely, but a guy can dream.
  7. #7  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Agreed. No need to make it the default setting, but I wish they would allow some sort of "Pro" or "Developer" mode.

    Unlikely, but a guy can dream.
    If they did that, they'd double the support they do and have to pass the cost onto the consumer. Remember all those guys loading the beta that don't have a clue what they're doing? Can you imagine them accessing pro or developer mode just to see what it does? <eye roll>
  8. #8  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    If they did that, they'd double the support they do and have to pass the cost onto the consumer. Remember all those guys loading the beta that don't have a clue what they're doing? Can you imagine them accessing pro or developer mode just to see what it does? <eye roll>
    Bingo. That would be a very bad move on Apple's part...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  9. #9  
    Ipheuria's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,852 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,888 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Smith4 View Post
    Shame, if Apple did allow users that much control over their phone I think it'd be a huge step forward
    Honestly if Apple did that it wouldn't be as great as you might think. I had that problem when I had Android it causes tinkering fatigue. There are so many options and settings in the options that it takes you like half an hour just to set up your device. I would consider myself an advanced user and if I tire halfway through I can't even imagine a run of the mill user. Plus what Alli already mentioned, more options means more things for users to do and get wrong.

    I'm with you and Massie I wish they would have some more advanced version of iOS that was only downloadable through their site. So advanced users would know where to go and get it but that is more work for them with little to no benefit so like Massie said a guy can dream right.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  10. #10  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0.2

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    I'm with you and Massie I wish they would have some more advanced version of iOS that was only downloadable through their site.
    Yes, exactly! We can install what we want on our Macs, yet our mobile devices stay limited. I'm not saying they need to make it a switch in the Settings app, but for people willing (and able) to do the work I wish it were an option.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (07-12-2013)
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
  11. #11  
    Chetan Takyar's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    525 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.3

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    Honestly if Apple did that it wouldn't be as great as you might think. I had that problem when I had Android it causes tinkering fatigue. There are so many options and settings in the options that it takes you like half an hour just to set up your device. I would consider myself an advanced user and if I tire halfway through I can't even imagine a run of the mill user. Plus what Alli already mentioned, more options means more things for users to do and get wrong.

    I'm with you and Massie I wish they would have some more advanced version of iOS that was only downloadable through their site. So advanced users would know where to go and get it but that is more work for them with little to no benefit so like Massie said a guy can dream right.
    After setting up my Nexus 4(took half an hour) I didn't do anymore to it
  12. #12  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    After setting up my Nexus 4(took half an hour) I didn't do anymore to it
    But again, with the exception of the tremendous influx of n00bs who just have to force the issue with iOS 7, the overwhelming majority of users on this site would be capable of venturing down that hole... Unfortunately, these forums have been overrun of late with a large number of people here who would do exactly as Alli suggested... screw their device up royally then come here holding the pieces and begging for somebody to help them reassemble it.

    The problem with tech n00bs is that often they overstate their skill set and the understanding of their technical prowess... (and they vote, and they reproduce and they purchase tech toys...)

    If I had a vote, it would be NAY.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Alli, Dryland and kch50428 like this.
  13. #13  
    nyk0n's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    they found them digging through the code using the SDK and posted screenshots via the iPhone simulator
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    Daniel Smith4's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    I suppose I can see both sides to it, but I'm not entirely sure how someone can screw up their phone simply by going into settings and changing a few things. These "secret settings" look fairly straight forward to me, nothing but "on off" or sliders to tweak things. I think even an iPhone noob would be able to figure it out.

    I think being able to customize iOS a little more to your own liking would be great, it'd add a personal touch to it. I don't like Android because it feels too clunky and unpolished, I don't think having more advanced iOS settings would have that effect, Apple could find a way of implementing it well.

    Still, it's not going to happen anyway.
  15. #15  
    Chetan Takyar's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    525 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.3

    Default Re: Secret Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Smith4 View Post
    I suppose I can see both sides to it, but I'm not entirely sure how someone can screw up their phone simply by going into settings and changing a few things. These "secret settings" look fairly straight forward to me, nothing but "on off" or sliders to tweak things. I think even an iPhone noob would be able to figure it out.

    I think being able to customize iOS a little more to your own liking would be great, it'd add a personal touch to it. I don't like Android because it feels too clunky and unpolished, I don't think having more advanced iOS settings would have that effect, Apple could find a way of implementing it well.

    Still, it's not going to happen anyway.
    If you think Android is unpolished then you haven't used 4.2.2 on the HTC One or Nexus 4.

Similar Threads

  1. [GUIDE] Managing Safari Browser Settings
    By jclisenby in forum Guides & How-To Articles
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 10:37 PM
  2. Guys Need Help! Reset settings
    By Daanqer in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 12:34 AM
  3. Tweaks not showing in settings
    By sclambe in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM
  4. [GUIDE] Setting Up A Lockcode On An iOS Device
    By bamf-hacker in forum Guides & How-To Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions