Maps - Under the Hood

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but some rumors were that apple had been collecting and working on their own data.
You assume they're not based on what? They list Copyright credits for TomTom? The screenshots indicate TomTom and others... don't disregard "others"... that might be Apple themselves.

Maybe Apple will pick up Navteq when Nokia tanks.... :D

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
You assume they're not based on what? They list Copyright credits for TomTom? The screenshots indicate TomTom and others... don't disregard "others"... that might be Apple themselves.

Maybe Apple will pick up Navteq when Nokia tanks.... :D

I dont think Nokia will "tank" any time soon. Specially now that theyre working closely with MS.
IF anyone is to buy Nokia, it will be MS, not Apple ;)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I dont think Nokia will "tank" any time soon. Specially now that theyre working closely with MS.
IF anyone is to buy Nokia, it will be MS, not Apple ;)

Well Samsung was rumored to be looking into buying Nokia so that would be a good possibility also.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
One thing I would like to see with Maps + Turn by Turn + Siri while on the road is if I can ask "Siri, find me the closest gas station with the lowest price" and Siri will find it AND ask if I want to be rerouted there.

Id also love for there to be a bluetooth button that i can mount on my steering wheel that is just for activating Siri.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
One thing I would like to see with Maps + Turn by Turn + Siri while on the road is if I can ask "Siri, find me the closest gas station with the lowest price" and Siri will find it AND ask if I want to be rerouted there.

Lets hope, this would be a great implementation... but that would be something not even pure gps devices are doing with voice activation. I might be wrong, but none that I know of anyways.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site

Id also love for there to be a bluetooth button that i can mount on my steering wheel that is just for activating Siri.

well you cant just mount a button on your steeringwheel , silly.

But as far as your first request, that will be part of Siri/Nav package ;)

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
interesting... in Google Places app... if you search for something, then click "Show on Map", it brings up the new maps app (obviously can't bring up the old google based maps app)... thought it would default to a web app for google maps... in any case, i found it ironic that a google app brings you to the non-google maps app in iOS6 :D

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I really hope Apple allows us to still use Google Maps after iOS6. I think Apple has along way to go to match Google Maps.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The best thing about Apple maps will be the new Google Maps app which won't enjoy the software integration like Apple's maps but will a lot more powerful. I just hope Apple allows it to be as powerful as Google wants to make it. No matter how polished the Apple app will be, it's still an inferior alternative as far as features go. Transit, walking, and biking directions will be done by third party apps and not by the native app. If Apple wants to get in the map business then they should go all in and not just enough to screw with Google.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I really hope Apple allows us to still use Google Maps after iOS6. I think Apple has along way to go to match Google Maps.

loving the new maps, with turn by turn, and 3D... but the loss of Street View is a bit of a bummer... useful when traveling to give you visual cues of your destination...

and the lower res of the satellite images (for areas that are outside of the major cities)... haven't tried it in a major city yet as i live out in the sticks ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2