iTunes music storage question

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I may be misunderstanding the use of iTunes for music. I uploaded all of the music files from my computer to iTunes (took about 12 hours). My assumption is that, from now on, I can access this music from any PC that I own with iTunes on it. Essentially, that iTunes acts as remote storage for my music so that, even if my PC dies, my music is safe with iTunes. Is this correct?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
itunes isnt online and available to other computers unless you set up home sharing.. itunes is just a media player that holds your music on the computer itself...

jpena53

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it would be safe once you pay for iTunes match, assuming all of your music gets matched.

Another option is Amazon Cloud Drive with 20GB of storage, dropbox, Google Music, etc.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for clearing this up guys.

Follow up question which I sort of touched on recently but I'd like to be crystal clear: As an iPhone 4s owner, how screwed would I be if I deleted iTunes from my computer? I know I can download new iOS versions over Wi-Fi now.

I'm asking for a good reason. Since downloading iTunes my previously perfectly running PC has become a dog. This happened the exact day I downloaded the software. I set it up so that iTunes doesn't turn on when I connect the iPhone to the PC (for charging) but that doesn't seem to help. I have no desire to use iTunes for music since it doesn't serve as back-up remote storage.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much for clearing this up guys.

Follow up question which I sort of touched on recently but I'd like to be crystal clear: As an iPhone 4s owner, how screwed would I be if I deleted iTunes from my computer? I know I can download new iOS versions over Wi-Fi now.

I'm asking for a good reason. Since downloading iTunes my previously perfectly running PC has become a dog. This happened the exact day I downloaded the software. I set it up so that iTunes doesn't turn on when I connect the iPhone to the PC (for charging) but that doesn't seem to help. I have no desire to use iTunes for music since it doesn't serve as back-up remote storage.

its up to you.. but itunes can be used to sync everything to the computer with the phone.. music contacts videos etc without it you cant make that connection with your computer..

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Itunes installs a bunch of services that run all the time whether they're being used or not. Some of them you can disable completely, but if you have it setup to sync over wifi you need them all. This may explain your sluggishness.

There's a way to get the services to start/stop with the opening/closing of itunes. Try googling it. I'm not by my computer to give you the info.

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I suggest that you get an external hard drive to back up all of your music and sign up for an online backup service if you want extra security. I just back up all of my music to my external hard drive.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I suggest that you get an external hard drive to back up all of your music and sign up for an online backup service if you want extra security. I just back up all of my music to my external hard drive.

Yeah, I've got that backed up but I can be a bit weird about redundant backups and so forth.

Talked with Apple about this today and the rep told me that she speaks with iPhone owners regularly who have never used iTunes. If I ever needed to get any lost apps back I could just download it temporarily....so I dumped iTunes and the associated music files. Yay! Love live Windows Media and Rhapsody!

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77