Can't put newsstand in a folder?

Cyder

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I will never use this app so it's just taking up space on my iPhone. Why would apple not allow this app to be added to a folder?

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
It's weird, but for some reason they don't want to put it in a folder. Hopefully it'll change soon, or a jailbreak will fix that problem. Also someone else just started a thread exactly like this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Kraigster

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't move Reminders into a current folder either, but I can create another new folder. But that's not what I want. And the Newsstand is silly and I'll never use it.

Also can't move Videos into a folder.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
yeah, newsstand sucks that it cannot be put into a folder

i actually can put the videos app into a folder

garrett

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
the reason newsstand cant be put into a folder is because its technically a folder itself.

the only way to remove it is to jailbreak and then install a mod called "no news is good news" when you search for it in cydia remove the spaces so it looks like "nonewsisgoodnews"

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Newsstand IS a folder... which I guess is the whole point of it. I do agree if someone wants to hide it, they should be able to. Next best thing is use the last of your main screens as a dumping-ground for all that 'stuff', and know not to scroll to it :)

chvilla1

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
No need to jail break

The Newsstand ?application? isn?t really an application at all; it?s essentially just a stylized folder which stores the latest updates to your favorite news sources. Since it is a folder, anyone that?s used folder management in iOS will know that you can?t nest a folder within a folder, but someone over at The Coding Massacre has found a way to do just that.

To put Newsstand into a folder you need to be quick. The work-around requires a new folder to be made, so take any two apps and place one upon the other to create one.

While the new folder is being made, this is your chance to get Newsstand out of sight. As the new folder is being created you will need to quickly drag the Newsstand icon into the folder. If you are quick enough Newsstand, will go into the folder, and the job will be done. This simple straightforward tip will work with any other folder, too so you can now place any folder into another ? handy!

It?s worth noting, however, that with Newsstand (or any other folder) placed within the newly created folder it will no longer work. Open Newsstand in another folder, and your iPhone will restart.

To get Newsstand (or other folders) working again, you will need to drag the wooden folder out back on to a top-level screen.

I copied and pasted this info from the fabulous Chris Brandric at the Apple Blog. Please say thanks to Chris everyone. :D

kshea12

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
The Coding Massacre has discovered a trick to force the iOS 5 Newsstand into a folder. The only reason to do this is to tuck Newsstand away and hide it -- users who have performed this trick discovered that opening Newsstand when its in a folder crashes Springboard, the main home screen on the iPhone.

Simply follow these steps:

- Take two apps and go to create a folder
- The second the apps are in the folder and it?s doing the folder creation animation, drag Newsstand into the folder
- As long as you?re quick enough Newsstand will go into the folder!
If you wish to use Newsstand at some point, simply remove it from the folder and place it back on the main level.

Quoted from macrumors

gemni73

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
you can put videos in a folder and reminders too. I have them both in folders. secondly since you aren't going to use newsstand just put it on a screen by itself and you never have to look at it. you can pretend its not there.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind if you use this bug to create nested folders you have basically corrupted the file system and anything might happen, including corrupting your backups and bricking your device. Just keep that in mind.

As a developer I would never corrupt the file management on my device intentionally...

jeffrey1027

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I know how to put in a folder...
1. Hold all the icons so they wiggle
2. Drag any icon onto another icon so you make a new folder
3. Right when the new folder appears!, drag news stand in fast!!! and I mean do it quick!! Might take a few tries

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl