Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By acerace113
  • 1 Post By JustMe'D
  • 1 Post By rlacrossjr
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

Default iMessage issues

Im Currently out of the country and using texting and calls. Data Roaming is off. Im having problems with the messaging.. Friends advised me that they are getting my text messages since no data but they send a message back? As it still shows iMessage on there iphones back home? Data is off why is it showing that? I find it annoying as not everyone has Send as SMS on when Imessage is not available? I find it a liability when not in data area..
    iMore Guru

Default Re: Imessage issues

If you are connected to a wifi network you can still send and receive iMessages.

You can press & hold on an iMessage that didn't send/get delivered and then tap on "send as text message" if the "send as SMS" setting is not working properly.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using .
    SeanHRCC likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

How about when you just have the network and no internet? If the person doesnt have send as sms it will never send as texts.. which really sucks... You cant always use imessage....

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Yes. If you are not on wifi and you don't have "send as SMS" on then messages won't get sent.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

I have send as SMS on when iMessage is not available but other people may not.. so i may never get a response until im on internet... which sucks. Maybe ill just use texts for now and turn off iMessage..
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,984 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I guess I'm confused how this is an issue with iMessage?

If I send an iMessage to another person who cannot receive iMessage at the time, it automatically switches it to SMS and sends it as a normal text message. If I had the feature turned off, that is my own choice...that is not an issue with the software.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

This is a known iMessage issue. It also happens if you have a friend who has an iPhone and the gets another type of phone. iMessage will still try to send as an iMessage instead of text.

This is on your friends side, not yours. Sometimes you cannot hold on the message and change to text message. I believe this is because it thinks it has successfully sent it at first.

I have found that deleting the whole prior text chain can fix it, on your fiends side that is.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,984 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by tack View Post
    This is a known iMessage issue. It also happens if you have a friend who has an iPhone and the gets another type of phone. iMessage will still try to send as an iMessage instead of text.

This is on your friends side, not yours. Sometimes you cannot hold on the message and change to text message. I believe this is because it thinks it has successfully sent it at first.

I have found that deleting the whole prior text chain can fix it, on your fiends side that is.
    What issue? iMessage's network figures out the issue pretty quickly if you're using it properly. My sister in law had a 4S, switched to a Galaxy S 4...the day she got it, I was having a discussion with her via iMessage, and after her phone was switched over, it automatically showed that she was no longer a valid iMessage contact (and made her name red in the contact field).
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    What issue? iMessage's network figures out the issue pretty quickly if you're using it properly. My sister in law had a 4S, switched to a Galaxy S 4...the day she got it, I was having a discussion with her via iMessage, and after her phone was switched over, it automatically showed that she was no longer a valid iMessage contact (and made her name red in the contact field).
    Use google and please don't try to act like people are idiots. It works most of the time for me as well, but it has it's issues. Just because you don't have it does not mean it does not exist. You are just trying to stir up crap.

Global Posts
    17,445 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Use google and please don't try to act like people are idiots. It works most of the time for me as well, but it has it's issues. Just because you don't have it does not mean it does not exist. You are just trying to stir up crap.
    I'm going to have to disagree with by assuming SeanHRCC is "trying to stir up crap". There was nothing wrong or negative about his last remark and I was actually nodding in agreement while reading it. Having said that, some people are indeed having issues with iMessages and from their perspective, it is a problem. On the other hand, it's difficult for those of us who are not having problems with it to understand the reason that others are. I've had people get upset with me for responding to a question similar to, "are you having problems with ____?". When I reply with, "no, it's working as it should for me", I may get a reply or a PM saying that "just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone" as if I insinuated that it did. All I did was answer the question as it was asked.
    Karenkcoulter likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,984 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I'm not stirring up crap...nor did I act like "people are idiots", my comment was very clear, and very simple. Could you have an issue with iMessage? Sure...I've had isolated issues with iMessage in the past too. Does that mean there is a problem with iMessage or a general issue for everyone? Nope.

They don't announce a car recall because a small % of people experience an issue vs. the whole. The system works. I don't need to google that because I've watched it with my own eyes...I don't think my iPhone is the only one in the world that it works on either...otherwise, I'd be selling this thing for big bucks. Suggesting a person google something to associate it with a general problem is absolutely silly...I could google an "issue" that 2 people had in the world and it might show up on google...should we report it as a general issue as well? lol...
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

I'm not stirring up crap...nor did I act like "people are idiots", my comment was very clear, and very simple. Could you have an issue with iMessage? Sure...I've had isolated issues with iMessage in the past too. Does that mean there is a problem with iMessage or a general issue for everyone? Nope.

They don't announce a car recall because a small % of people experience an issue vs. the whole. The system works. I don't need to google that because I've watched it with my own eyes...I don't think my iPhone is the only one in the world that it works on either...otherwise, I'd be selling this thing for big bucks. Suggesting a person google something to associate it with a general problem is absolutely silly...I could google an "issue" that 2 people had in the world and it might show up on google...should we report it as a general issue as well? lol...
    Using the phrase "if you use it correctly" implies you think it is the user and then prefacing it with "What iMessage issue?" further supports it. I described the issue, so it was not a matter of you not understanding what I was saying the issue was. It seems like you were trying to say there is no issue and that people were not using it correctly. Not trying to offend you, but your replies to me and OP seem like implications of it not being an iMessage issue, but a user issue.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with by assuming SeanHRCC is "trying to stir up crap". There was nothing wrong or negative about his last remark and I was actually nodding in agreement while reading it. Having said that, some people are indeed having issues with iMessages and from their perspective, it is a problem. On the other hand, it's difficult for those of us who are not having problems with it to understand the reason that others are. I've had people get upset with me for responding to a question similar to, "are you having problems with ____?". When I reply with, "no, it's working as it should for me", I may get a reply or a PM saying that "just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone" as if I insinuated that it did. All I did was answer the question as it was asked.
    Not the same in terms of answering versus questioning the validity of it being a problem or that someone may not be using it correctly. Again, not trying to offend and maybe I overreacted to the goal of his reply. It was worded in a way that implied ignorance or it not being an issue.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

Here are some examples of the issue. There are fixes, and they involve removing your number from iMessage support via your Apple account. This does not help if you are international on an iDevice, as the OP is. It only helps if you have switched to a non-iDevice.

It is an issue and Apple has no fix for this situation. It can be avoided temporarily if your friends turn off iMessage and send you true SMS while you are traveling. I have had this happen to me when in China or Europe.

My S4 active is NOT receiving texts from iPhones with iOS 7 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

iMessage bug prevents SMS from getting through to Android switchers | iMore
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

Here are some examples of the issue. There are fixes, and they involve removing your number from iMessage support via your Apple account. This does not help if you are international on an iDevice, as the OP is. It only helps if you have switched to a non-iDevice.

It is an issue and Apple has no fix for this situation. It can be avoided temporarily if your friends turn off iMessage and send you true SMS while you are traveling. I have had this happen to me when in China or Europe.

My S4 active is NOT receiving texts from iPhones with iOS 7 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

iMessage bug prevents SMS from getting through to Android switchers | iMore

So I guess best option when traveling and roaming before you leave its best to shut off iMessage so you can at least get texts and when on wifi turn it back on and so forth.. Domestically iMessage works perfect. It's annoying if you have to keep doing that tho.... If the person on the other end doesn't have send as SMS ON.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,984 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Using the phrase "if you use it correctly" implies you think it is the user and then prefacing it with "What iMessage issue?" further supports it. I described the issue, so it was not a matter of you not understanding what I was saying the issue was. It seems like you were trying to say there is no issue and that people were not using it correctly. Not trying to offend you, but your replies to me and OP seem like implications of it not being an iMessage issue, but a user issue.
    Implying there is a general problem with iMessage is inaccurate. That was the point of my response, and it was clear.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

Default Imessage issues

Implying there is a general problem with iMessage is inaccurate. That was the point of my response, and it was clear.
    Please explain?

Btw I was not implying nor did I say it was a general problem, meaning common or present in each situation. It is however well established and happens to quite a few people.

Not sure I understand what your beef is here?
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

if i have imessage ON but turn off Data for longer than a couple of hours will other iphones show text messages only?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hockey1299 View Post
    if i have imessage ON but turn off Data for longer than a couple of hours will other iphones show text messages only?
    I believe so.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

I believe so.
    Are you sure?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hockey1299 View Post
    Are you sure?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    Not 100%
    iMore Intermediate

Default Re: iMessage issues

Mine will send as iMessage then no delivery and auto to text. It will change color to green and say sent as text.

Sent from my iPhone using

Global Posts
    17,445 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by rlacrossjr View Post
    Mine will send as iMessage then no delivery and auto to text. It will change color to green and say sent as text.

That normally means that the person you are texting does not have an Apple device, does not have iMessage enabled, the device is turned off or the recipient does not use his or her phone number as a means to be contacted via iMessage, if that's what you're using to contact him or her.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    That normally means that the person you are texting does not have an Apple device, does not have iMessage enabled, the device is turned off or the recipient does not use his or her phone number as a means to be contacted via iMessage, if that's what you're using to contact him or her.
    Yup exactly. Or on prepay and ran out if data. Lol

JustMe'D likes this.