iMessage issues

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Im Currently out of the country and using texting and calls. Data Roaming is off. Im having problems with the messaging.. Friends advised me that they are getting my text messages since no data but they send a message back? As it still shows iMessage on there iphones back home? Data is off why is it showing that? I find it annoying as not everyone has Send as SMS on when Imessage is not available? I find it a liability when not in data area..

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Imessage issues

If you are connected to a wifi network you can still send and receive iMessages.

You can press & hold on an iMessage that didn't send/get delivered and then tap on "send as text message" if the "send as SMS" setting is not working properly.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using Tapatalk.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

How about when you just have the network and no internet? If the person doesnt have send as sms it will never send as texts.. which really sucks... You cant always use imessage....

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I have send as SMS on when iMessage is not available but other people may not.. so i may never get a response until im on internet... which sucks. Maybe ill just use texts for now and turn off iMessage..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I guess I'm confused how this is an issue with iMessage?

If I send an iMessage to another person who cannot receive iMessage at the time, it automatically switches it to SMS and sends it as a normal text message. If I had the feature turned off, that is my own choice...that is not an issue with the software.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

This is a known iMessage issue. It also happens if you have a friend who has an iPhone and the gets another type of phone. iMessage will still try to send as an iMessage instead of text.

This is on your friends side, not yours. Sometimes you cannot hold on the message and change to text message. I believe this is because it thinks it has successfully sent it at first.

I have found that deleting the whole prior text chain can fix it, on your fiends side that is.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

This is a known iMessage issue. It also happens if you have a friend who has an iPhone and the gets another type of phone. iMessage will still try to send as an iMessage instead of text.

This is on your friends side, not yours. Sometimes you cannot hold on the message and change to text message. I believe this is because it thinks it has successfully sent it at first.

I have found that deleting the whole prior text chain can fix it, on your fiends side that is.

What issue? iMessage's network figures out the issue pretty quickly if you're using it properly. My sister in law had a 4S, switched to a Galaxy S 4...the day she got it, I was having a discussion with her via iMessage, and after her phone was switched over, it automatically showed that she was no longer a valid iMessage contact (and made her name red in the contact field).

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

What issue? iMessage's network figures out the issue pretty quickly if you're using it properly. My sister in law had a 4S, switched to a Galaxy S 4...the day she got it, I was having a discussion with her via iMessage, and after her phone was switched over, it automatically showed that she was no longer a valid iMessage contact (and made her name red in the contact field).

Use google and please don't try to act like people are idiots. It works most of the time for me as well, but it has it's issues. Just because you don't have it does not mean it does not exist. You are just trying to stir up crap.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Use google and please don't try to act like people are idiots. It works most of the time for me as well, but it has it's issues. Just because you don't have it does not mean it does not exist. You are just trying to stir up crap.

I'm going to have to disagree with by assuming SeanHRCC is "trying to stir up crap". There was nothing wrong or negative about his last remark and I was actually nodding in agreement while reading it. Having said that, some people are indeed having issues with iMessages and from their perspective, it is a problem. On the other hand, it's difficult for those of us who are not having problems with it to understand the reason that others are. I've had people get upset with me for responding to a question similar to, "are you having problems with ____?". When I reply with, "no, it's working as it should for me", I may get a reply or a PM saying that "just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone" as if I insinuated that it did. All I did was answer the question as it was asked.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm not stirring up crap...nor did I act like "people are idiots", my comment was very clear, and very simple. Could you have an issue with iMessage? Sure...I've had isolated issues with iMessage in the past too. Does that mean there is a problem with iMessage or a general issue for everyone? Nope.

They don't announce a car recall because a small % of people experience an issue vs. the whole. The system works. I don't need to google that because I've watched it with my own eyes...I don't think my iPhone is the only one in the world that it works on either...otherwise, I'd be selling this thing for big bucks. Suggesting a person google something to associate it with a general problem is absolutely silly...I could google an "issue" that 2 people had in the world and it might show up on google...should we report it as a general issue as well? lol...

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm not stirring up crap...nor did I act like "people are idiots", my comment was very clear, and very simple. Could you have an issue with iMessage? Sure...I've had isolated issues with iMessage in the past too. Does that mean there is a problem with iMessage or a general issue for everyone? Nope.

They don't announce a car recall because a small % of people experience an issue vs. the whole. The system works. I don't need to google that because I've watched it with my own eyes...I don't think my iPhone is the only one in the world that it works on either...otherwise, I'd be selling this thing for big bucks. Suggesting a person google something to associate it with a general problem is absolutely silly...I could google an "issue" that 2 people had in the world and it might show up on google...should we report it as a general issue as well? lol...

Using the phrase "if you use it correctly" implies you think it is the user and then prefacing it with "What iMessage issue?" further supports it. I described the issue, so it was not a matter of you not understanding what I was saying the issue was. It seems like you were trying to say there is no issue and that people were not using it correctly. Not trying to offend you, but your replies to me and OP seem like implications of it not being an iMessage issue, but a user issue.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to have to disagree with by assuming SeanHRCC is "trying to stir up crap". There was nothing wrong or negative about his last remark and I was actually nodding in agreement while reading it. Having said that, some people are indeed having issues with iMessages and from their perspective, it is a problem. On the other hand, it's difficult for those of us who are not having problems with it to understand the reason that others are. I've had people get upset with me for responding to a question similar to, "are you having problems with ____?". When I reply with, "no, it's working as it should for me", I may get a reply or a PM saying that "just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone" as if I insinuated that it did. All I did was answer the question as it was asked.

Not the same in terms of answering versus questioning the validity of it being a problem or that someone may not be using it correctly. Again, not trying to offend and maybe I overreacted to the goal of his reply. It was worded in a way that implied ignorance or it not being an issue.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

Here are some examples of the issue. There are fixes, and they involve removing your number from iMessage support via your Apple account. This does not help if you are international on an iDevice, as the OP is. It only helps if you have switched to a non-iDevice.

It is an issue and Apple has no fix for this situation. It can be avoided temporarily if your friends turn off iMessage and send you true SMS while you are traveling. I have had this happen to me when in China or Europe.

iphone - Contact switched to Android; how to send texts instead of iMessages? - Ask Different
Apple iMessage Keeps New Phones From Getting Texts - Techlicious
My S4 active is NOT receiving texts from iPhones with iOS 7 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Will Apple Ever Fix the iMessage Text-Killing Problem?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5079636
iMessage bug prevents SMS from getting through to Android switchers | iMore
I Switched From iPhone To Android And Now I Can't Get Texts ⚙ Co.Labs ⚙ code + community

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Here are some examples of the issue. There are fixes, and they involve removing your number from iMessage support via your Apple account. This does not help if you are international on an iDevice, as the OP is. It only helps if you have switched to a non-iDevice.

It is an issue and Apple has no fix for this situation. It can be avoided temporarily if your friends turn off iMessage and send you true SMS while you are traveling. I have had this happen to me when in China or Europe.

iphone - Contact switched to Android; how to send texts instead of iMessages? - Ask Different
Apple iMessage Keeps New Phones From Getting Texts - Techlicious
My S4 active is NOT receiving texts from iPhones with iOS 7 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Will Apple Ever Fix the iMessage Text-Killing Problem?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5079636
iMessage bug prevents SMS from getting through to Android switchers | iMore
I Switched From iPhone To Android And Now I Can't Get Texts ?š™ Co.Labs ?š™ code + community

So I guess best option when traveling and roaming before you leave its best to shut off iMessage so you can at least get texts and when on wifi turn it back on and so forth.. Domestically iMessage works perfect. It's annoying if you have to keep doing that tho.... If the person on the other end doesn't have send as SMS ON.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Using the phrase "if you use it correctly" implies you think it is the user and then prefacing it with "What iMessage issue?" further supports it. I described the issue, so it was not a matter of you not understanding what I was saying the issue was. It seems like you were trying to say there is no issue and that people were not using it correctly. Not trying to offend you, but your replies to me and OP seem like implications of it not being an iMessage issue, but a user issue.

Implying there is a general problem with iMessage is inaccurate. That was the point of my response, and it was clear.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Imessage issues

Implying there is a general problem with iMessage is inaccurate. That was the point of my response, and it was clear.

Please explain?

Btw I was not implying nor did I say it was a general problem, meaning common or present in each situation. It is however well established and happens to quite a few people.

Not sure I understand what your beef is here?

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

if i have imessage ON but turn off Data for longer than a couple of hours will other iphones show text messages only?