iMessage sent to non iPhones?

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
This is a stupid question but what good is iMessage really? It seemed like a great thing at first and it works well but what happens when you change phones? I'll tell you what happens, you don't receive a single text message from anyone you know that uses an iPhone. Crazy I know, but true. My wife just switched to android and now anytime I send her a message it sends an iMessage, which I HOPE is just being lost in the ether, but who knows. Apple doesn't, neither does verizon. So I ask again what is the purpose of iMessage other than to lock you to an iphone for the rest of your natural life. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
When you quit using the iPhones, did you just quit - or did you go into the phone and turn off iMessage? You should have done the latter...

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
iMessage was turned off before the phone was deactivated. But really who will know to do that? Verizon didn't mention it I don't think anyone does.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
This is a stupid question but what good is iMessage really? It seemed like a great thing at first and it works well but what happens when you change phones? I'll tell you what happens, you don't receive a single text message from anyone you know that uses an iPhone. Crazy I know, but true. My wife just switched to android and now anytime I send her a message it sends an iMessage, which I HOPE is just being lost in the ether, but who knows. Apple doesn't, neither does verizon. So I ask again what is the purpose of iMessage other than to lock you to an iphone for the rest of your natural life. .

The same thing as BBM. That's the use. This is probably why chat programs are supplanting SMS.

bustermin

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
The same thing as BBM. That's the use. This is probably why chat programs are supplanting SMS.

I don't think it is like BBM. In my opinion. I could do more with BBM, there are no groups like in BBM for one, sure you can make a group in iMessage but to my knowledge you can't add anyone at anytime an continue to add people to a group which is what I think makes BBM so useful. It is the one thing really mis about my blackberry

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is like BBM. In my opinion. I could do more with BBM, there are no groups like in BBM for one, sure you can make a group in iMessage but to my knowledge you can't add anyone at anytime an continue to add people to a group which is what I think makes BBM so useful. It is the one thing really miss about my blackberry

The only downfall to BBM is the number of people who still use it. I used to mod a BBM group. When we first started it, there were pages and pages of people waiting to be added. When I dumped my Storm2 for an iPhone, we were down to six members, myself included.

I'm sure the longer iMessage is out there, the more features Apple will add to it. :)

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I remember when I use to have my blackberry it was all about bbm.. But hey even tho iMessage is not really up there yet.. I still like using it even tho to me it's almost the same as txting but to show that blue indicating ppl with iMessage and now more and more friends I have using iPhone its pretty interesting

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I remember when I use to have my blackberry it was all about bbm.. But hey even tho iMessage is not really up there yet.. I still like using it even tho to me it's almost the same as txting but to show that blue indicating ppl with iMessage and now more and more friends I have using iPhone its pretty interesting

In your opinion, what would it take for iMessage to be "up there" among the ranks of BBM?

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
In your opinion, what would it take for iMessage to be "up there" among the ranks of BBM?

Well I guess it's at about the same pace that bbm is.. Just would be cool if I can have my iPhone users/contacts categorized like how I know which friends have bbm and which doesn't

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess it's at about the same pace that bbm is.. Just would be cool if I can have my iPhone users/contacts categorized like how I know which friends have bbm and which doesn't

You can. When you either create a contact or edit a contact, tap on the label in front of where you would type in the phone number and choose iPhone, home, work, other or you can create a custom label for BBM.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You can. When you either create a contact or edit a contact, tap on the label in front of where you would type in the phone number and choose iPhone, home, work, other or you can create a custom label for BBM.

Yeah I know u can do that but if iMessage was like bbm and was its own app and ppl can update their status and stuff would be cool