Help with iMessage on Mac

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a Macbook air today, and i'm liking having the messages feature on my mac as I have with the iPad and iPhone, but when the app is closed/force quit it still is opening back up by itself when people send me messages. I don't ALWAYS want to receive the messages when i'm browsing/doing work etc.

How exactly can I go about making this possible? Is there a more simple way to turn on/off instead of unchecking iMessage in the "accounts" option under the messages mac app.

Sorry if this is confusing, I can try a better way to explain if needed.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think I understand is it popping up in the Notification Center? If not maybe try including it in the Notification Center so that it will only open when you choose to open it. I'm not in front of my Mac right now so if there isn't an answer before then I'll respond.

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not new to Mac, just upgraded to the air from my old macbook and am new to the messages app.

The all is actually closed, quit all the way. But it still forces through and pops up. Maybe I can try the notification thing when I get back home.

Thanks for the help. I wanna figure this out because my buddy said "that's just how it is"!

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I notice something a bit odd about iMessage on my MacBook Air.

If I send an iMessage from my iPhone or iPad, there is a delay (sometimes) before it updates on my MBA.
And at times, the message appears before the other messages in the conversation.

Then if i check back later, all is well.

This just happened to me while on my home Wi-Fi.

Anyone else?

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The notification fix seemed to resolve the problem. It was annoying having them pop up when I'm doing something. So now with no alerts set and sounds off that helps with the issue.

Ill report back with any other issues. Thanks!!

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
OK guys this is driving me nuts.

iMessage on my MacBook Air is not mirroring what is on my iPhone and iPad.
Some conversations are missing and it I delete a conversation from my iPhone or iPad is doesn't always delete it from my MacBook Air.
I have signed out and back in on iMessage on my Mac as well and that didn't help.

Any ideas?
Anyone else?

TIA

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OK guys this is driving me nuts.

iMessage on my MacBook Air is not mirroring what is on my iPhone and iPad.
Some conversations are missing and it I delete a conversation from my iPhone or iPad is doesn't always delete it from my MacBook Air.
I have signed out and back in on iMessage on my Mac as well and that didn't help.

Any ideas?
Anyone else?

TIA

Syncing iMessages between devices is not perfect especially where the Mac is concerned because parts of a conversation are sometimes out of order, but that usually happens when the Mac is turned on or the Mac's iMessage app is initiated after a conversation has already begun. I'm assuming it's a server issue. As for deleting, it has been my experience to have to delete the iMessage conversation from each enabled device. It's not as synchronized as email.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Syncing iMessages between devices is not perfect especially where the Mac is concerned because parts of a conversation are sometimes out of order, but that usually happens when the Mac is turned on or the Mac's iMessage app is initiated after a conversation has already begun. I'm assuming it's a server issue. As for deleting, it has been my experience to have to delete the iMessage conversation from each enabled device. It's not as synchronized as email.

Tks for the info JMD,
iMessage syncs perfectly between my iPhone and iPad.
I guess I was expecting too much for it to work seamlessly between those devices and the Mac.
Anyway, Tks again.
Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Tks for the info JMD,
iMessage syncs perfectly between my iPhone and iPad.
I guess I was expecting too much for it to work seamlessly between those devices and the Mac.
Anyway, Tks again.
Good Luck

You're very welcome, my friend. Have a great night. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2