Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iMessage, all or nothing, right?

Just to confirm, iMessage is a little like text messages in the fact that once it is 'on', it is 'on', right?

Currently I'm now testing iMessage again (didn't want to get hooked to one form of communication in case I switched devices), and there are some people I DON'T want to iMessage with, only text, hence ignore them if I choose.

This is not really an option with iMessage, is it? I know I can turn off the 'read receipt', but one can't turn off the 'delivery' notification, correct?

A shame really
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Ya it's on unless you turn it off
    It's like text messages but it uses data not your your providers network

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks...

I wish I could have it on, on my phone but ONLY use my email address and NOT my mobile number...

Global Posts
    6,990 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

If iMessage is on and the other person also has iMessage on, but you want to send an SMS anyway, hold down the blue Send button and you will get a choice or sending an SMS.

Also you can go into settings for iMessages and set what your caller ID is for iMessages and change it from your phone number to an email address.
    Thanked by:
    Alli (11-29-2012)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iMessage, all or nothing, right?

You can at least set it so that any new conversations you start use your email address. Not the same but it's something. (Settings>Messages)
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks for the responses.

Curious, if I have iMessage on and the default is my email address, and someone sends a message to my mobile number is would come through as an iMessage, no?

Thanks

Global Posts
    6,990 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

Curious, if I have iMessage on and the default is my email address, and someone sends a message to my mobile number is would come through as an iMessage, no?

Thanks
    If it was someone else who used iMessage then it would come through as an iMessage unless they forced it to SMS as I described above. If it was someone, say on an Android phone, it would be an SMS. But regardless of whether it is a in message or SMS, you get them both in the Messages app on your iPhone.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    If iMessage is on and the other person also has iMessage on, but you want to send an SMS anyway, hold down the blue Send button and you will get a choice or sending an SMS.

Also you can go into settings for iMessages and set what your caller ID is for iMessages and change it from your phone number to an email address.
    Karen out of curiosity I tried this and could not get it to work as you described. I held down the blue send button and no option came up.

Global Posts
    6,990 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by piranhadonna View Post
    Karen out of curiosity I tried this and could not get it to work as you described. I held down the blue send button and no option came up.
    You're right. It's not working for me either. I'd never tried it myself, but someone posted on these forums in the past week that it worked for them. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: here's the link to the post I was talking about
    Originally Posted by Heisenberg

Once it sends blue just gently hold down the message and send it as a text. It'll eventually recognize you're not in iMessage.

Thanks that a cool trick. Worked!! Thanks so much!! still turns blue but at least I now know how to change it over to a text. Wonder how long till it catches on that my wife has a droid not an iphone?

woohoo sent three texts that way and now its staying green!!! You are the best tech support a guy could have!!!!!
    Last edited by Karenkcoulter; 11-27-2012 at 05:29 PM.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I guess since I have 'read receipts' off, I might leave iMessage on. Just because someone sends me a message and it shows 'delivered', doesn't mean I ever read it

Some users at work have my mobile number (I work in I.T.) and thus take advantage of easy access to I.T. Hence my questions, etc...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    You're right. It's not working for me either. I'd never tried it myself, but someone posted on these forums in the past week that it worked for them. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: here's the link to the post I was talking about

Thanks that a cool trick. Worked!! Thanks so much!! still turns blue but at least I now know how to change it over to a text. Wonder how long till it catches on that my wife has a droid not an iphone?

woohoo sent three texts that way and now its staying green!!! You are the best tech support a guy could have!!!!!
    If it still thinks your wife's is a iphone and still comes up as imessage there is a link on the forum that you can unregister her number and it will solve the issue

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yeah but you will always need your mobile number as an option, as you can't exchange messages with people that don't have Macs with Mountain Lion or iOS 5 or above devices, without a SMS number.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB