iMessage problems

Possession

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Me and a friend have noticed a big flaw with iMessage on our end. If one of us is online, then one of us goes offline. Mine will still send there phone iMessages, and they won't receive them till they go online again. Even if they send me a SMS, mine will still reply as a iMessage.

It's stupid, I have to turn off iMessage just to send them a SMS if their data is down. The phone does not auto-detect it. Anyone else getting this massive flaw?

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't aware of this happening because when the person goes offline it is suppose to automatically detect and send as an SMS.

Possession

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't aware of this happening because when the person goes offline it is suppose to automatically detect and send as an SMS.

Not here. Me and a friend are trying it. I'd go offline fully, and the person on the other end's button would still stay blue. I could send them SMSs, but they could only send me iMessages that'd appear when I come online. Vice versa.

I have a 4S, they have a 3GS. Only using phone numbers, no email addresses involved

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Do you have it set to send as a SMS when you can't use the iMessage feature....go to your settings then click on messages and see if Send As SMS is on

Possession

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you have it set to send as a SMS when you can't use the iMessage feature....go to your settings then click on messages and see if Send As SMS is on

Yup.
It's really odd, even when the person on the otherside is completely offline. Any messages I send to their phone number send completely as a iMessage (no errors) and they get them when they get online. But I have to manually send a SMS by turning off my wifi or iMessage.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Yup.
It's really odd, even when the person on the otherside is completely offline. Any messages I send to their phone number send completely as a iMessage (no errors) and they get them when they get online. But I have to manually send a SMS by turning off my wifi or iMessage.

You can also do it by pressing on the iMessage, after you hit send and an option will pop up to send as SMS.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Possession

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
You can also do it by pressing on the iMessage, after you hit send and an option will pop up to send as SMS.

Even so, what if we have a long conversation? I have to do that for every message I sent? I thought these "smart"phones would detect if one couldn't receive a message and would switch to iMessage automatically.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Even so, what if we have a long conversation? I have to do that for every message I sent? I thought these "smart"phones would detect if one couldn't receive a message and would switch to iMessage automatically.

Have you tried restoring your device ?

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

Mine always does and I haven't seen a lot of posts about this issue. Therefore, you should try Cleve's advice about doing a restore.

Waks

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The iMessage should automatically be sent as an sms when you send an iMessage to a person that is offline, as long as the option is turned on. But it takes around a minute or two for the phone to detect that the other person is not online.

In my case, if i sense that it is already taking too long for the iMessage to get sent, i just resort to holding down the message bubble and then send it as an SMS.

Possession

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I guess I need to restore then. None of what you guys say is happening for me. Even if the recepiant I'm trying with if offline for like half an hour, no other iMessage devices on... all messages I send to their phone number (I have the send as SMS option on) will send as a iMessage without fail. No errors or nothing. They will receive them as soon as they come online. But the send button never switches to green.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
The iMessage should automatically be sent as an sms when you send an iMessage to a person that is offline, as long as the option is turned on. But it takes around a minute or two for the phone to detect that the other person is not online.

In my case, if i sense that it is already taking too long for the iMessage to get sent, i just resort to holding down the message bubble and then send it as an SMS.

How does one go offline from iMessage??

Sent from HIS WORLD on my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Possession

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I guess to rephrase what I said, the other person doesn't have internet access.

Yeah, that's my problem. When the other person has no internet, my phone does not detect that. It still continues to send iMessages perfectly, and will not let me even send them a SMS without having to do send as SMS for each sent iMessage or turning iMesssage off. Which is pretty much crippling a basic feature of the phone.

BBtoiPhone

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Thats weird.. I have never had that issue, i have noticed that sometimes when i think im sending an imessage it will switch over to a text message after about 10 seconds or so..

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77