Spotty iMessage

MattWaso

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Spotty iMessages

When texting with friends that have imessage I've been having a good bit of them going across as normal text and was wondering what causes that to happen? If there isnt a wifi connection doesn't it just use 3g data? I know the people Im texting have access to wifi or 3g all the time so what causes these normal text that are costing me money?

Last edited:

cinco312

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
When selecting the contact don't select their phone #, select their iMessage account name. That's what I do and haven't had any issues.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I didn't do that at all. I just put the phone number in the contact and set it to iPhone instead of mobile and it comes through as an iMessage.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
When texting with friends that have imessage I've been having a good bit of them going across as normal text and was wondering what causes that to happen? If there isnt a wifi connection doesn't it just use 3g data? I know the people Im texting have access to wifi or 3g all the time so what causes these normal text that are costing me money?

I was wondering the same thing. It most definitely uses 3G?I don't know why it occasionally decides it's send it as a text instead when I have perfectly good data coverage. I have personally switched off send as text message, and have had other parties send iMessages to my email address instead of phone number to help me avoid any charges.

iSurf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok no, i didnt do any of that my iphone just detects who has ios5 and i turns blue lol only thing is that when my friend was in an area that had very bad signal they would send as texts.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
it works like this:

If Apple's servers are available... then it sends as an iMessage (Blue)
when they are not avaialable.... it sends as a text (Green)

you can turn this off so it wont ever send as a text if you want... (settings > messages > send as SMS)

anon(4742778)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
They dont have iMessage on or it's not configured properly. If you want to send them an iMessage, it's best to use their Apple ID. Also, it takes some time for iMessage to verify that the recipient has iMessage

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Also, If they are with Verizon or Sprint: CDMA networks are unable to use voice and data at the same time. So, If the person you are trying to contact is on a phone call, this causes iPhone to send a text message instead of an iMessage (since iMessages are data).

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2