imessage clarification

Pmt061204

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I am just wanting to get some concrete clarity on how imessage works. We have a family itunes account and both have ipads and are getting iphones. will we both need seperate itunes accounts for imessage or if we use the same itunes account will it show the message on both devices? I am just not sure how it is working. does it use a phone number like phones or an email account?

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
to my understanding you would need 2 different itunes accounts.
because i have iphone 4 3gs and ipod4 and they all send to eachother when one gets a message.

but don't fret.
if you don't want your wife buying apps theres a way to create an itunes account without a credit card lol.

edit: to your original question.
i believe it uses accounts not phone numbers because then how would it work on ipad's with no 3g?

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I am just wanting to get some concrete clarity on how imessage works. We have a family itunes account and both have ipads and are getting iphones. will we both need seperate itunes accounts for imessage or if we use the same itunes account will it show the message on both devices? I am just not sure how it is working. does it use a phone number like phones or an email account?

iMessage acts as a free texting service on you're iPod or iPad and it uses you're Apple ID, on you're iPhone its basically Messages but, with iMessage its like BBM people with iPhones.

lucasite

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Im confused by this also.
In order to use IMessage, you need to enter apple ID and password.
But my wife and I share the same Itunes account, for apps and music.

If I put the same apple ID and password on my phone, and on her phone (Im refering specifically to the IMessage setup), then surely we'll both be receiving the same messages?

If I create a new Itunes account for my wife, just for IMessage and ICloud, can I still plug her device into my computer and sync the same music/apps. Or will Itunes complain and say something like "This device is using a different account"?

iphone_guy

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
just stop sharing itunes accounts...that's the issue a lot of people have, they don't realize EACH person needs their own...so what happens when you synched up? Did you both have the same phonebook and pictures?

lucasite

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
But thats the question. If we both have separate Itunes accounts, does that mean we can no longer share the same music/apps?

Pmt061204

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
just stop sharing itunes accounts...that's the issue a lot of people have, they don't realize EACH person needs their own...so what happens when you synched up? Did you both have the same phonebook and pictures?

I haven't updated hers yet. I am going to do that tonight. We all know we should have our own we are just too cheap to buy apps twice. We are all just trying to find the work around. But it might come to that(each having their own account) That is probably one of the reasons apple is doing this though.

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I would like clarification too - for me, I have iphone 4 and iPad - and I don't want messages that I do on my iPhone showing up on my iPad if my kids or wife grab it. Right now, both sync on same iTunes account...

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Im confused by this also.
In order to use IMessage, you need to enter apple ID and password.
But my wife and I share the same Itunes account, for apps and music.

If I put the same apple ID and password on my phone, and on her phone (Im refering specifically to the IMessage setup), then surely we'll both be receiving the same messages?

If I create a new Itunes account for my wife, just for IMessage and ICloud, can I still plug her device into my computer and sync the same music/apps. Or will Itunes complain and say something like "This device is using a different account"?

this is why a suggested creating a free account without a card.
just use the new apple id created for her for imessage everything else original.
you can setup your computer to authorize both accounts on both devices.

for example.
at first when i bought my mom her first iphone for some reason itunes would not let her create an account so i let her use mine.
all my apps that she wanted transfered as my own then when she finally was able to create one she had her own account and my apps that i purchased.

NidhiJaffri

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I message is exchanging messages with an Internet connection... It's free and the carrier company doesn't charge u anything.... Just remember to type in imsg.... But u can do the same thing thru what's app and that's not just limited to iPhone ..... U can chat with even a non iPhone user :)

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
if its between iphones, you DONT need the other persons apple ID. Just put their phone number in your contact. and send them an SMS. the phone detects if they have an iPhone on iOS 5... if they do, it sends as an iMessage instead of an SMS. You can tell by the color. if the text bubbles are blue... its an iMessage, if its green, its going as an sms.

you only need an apple id if you are trying to imessage to an iPad/iPod touch.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion to everyone in this thread is to set up a new, free me.com apple ID for each phone. Use that for iMessage, contacts, etc. Then under settings-> store, sign into the shared account on each phone or iPad. Then you have a private account for PIM and can still share apps. This is what I do for my parents. Works perfectly fine.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Guys, this is real simple. Just got to settings->messages and in "receive at" put the email address(es) you want THAT DEVICE to be able to receive iMessages with. The apple ID can be the same as other devices. It doesn't matter.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
But thats the question. If we both have separate Itunes accounts, does that mean we can no longer share the same music/apps?

By the way, you CAN still share apps/music with different accounts with the Home Sharing option in iTunes. You simply need to be on the same wifi network, and authorize the accounts to share. Only change I recall is that for app updates you may need to use the ID used to buy the app originally.

I know this because my wife constantly uses apps from my library on her phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2