Cloud Based Storage for Photos and Videos

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am searching for a good cloud based alternative to storing my 60+ gigs of photos and videos that are clogging up my computer. It would be great if apple had something similar to itunes match for this type of media, but don't think they are there yet, and pretty surprised by that. What I am looking for is a cloud experience where I can upload and house all of my photo and video content (taken from my iphone, as well as accumlulated over the years from other sources) and have it organized based on shooting date, etc. I presume I will have to pay for the storage, but I expect that. Any ideas on the best thing to use?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Take your pick. iCloud, Google Drive, Microsoft SkyDrive, Dropbox, Box. You name it. They all provide free storage to a certain point but also offer a greater amount of storage at various price levels.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Take your pick. iCloud, Google Drive, Microsoft SkyDrive, Dropbox, Box. You name it. They all provide free storage to a certain point but also offer a greater amount of storage at various price levels.

Thanks. I would like to stay with apple if I can. How can this be done through iCloud aside from my normal iPhone backup? Note, I do not have an apple pc. Is there a website for this other than iCloud.com?

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I checked out some of these options and the problem is it syncs with the files already on your computer. My whole point is I want to clear out some space on my hard drive and transfer docs to the cloud. I only want the files to exist in the cloud, not both places. Any suggestions?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
My personal favorite is drop box. Have been using it for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I checked out some of these options and the problem is it syncs with the files already on your computer. My whole point is I want to clear out some space on my hard drive and transfer docs to the cloud. I only want the files to exist in the cloud, not both places. Any suggestions?

Yes, Google Drive, Dropbox, SkyDrive and others can sync files between the cloud and your computer or smart device if you want them to. You can always just access the above mentioned cloud service from your computer via your browser and simply upload your files to be kept online.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My personal favorite is drop box. Have been using it for a few years now.

Yes but again, this does not move files off your computer to save space. I am looking for something that will transfer files off of my computer into the cloud.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Google Drive, Dropbox, SkyDrive and others can sync files between the cloud and your computer or smart device if you want them to. You can always just access the above mentioned cloud service from your computer via your browser and simply upload your files to be kept online.

I have tried and when I delete off my comp it deletes off of google drive and the others. Can't find the option to only keep in the cloud. Can you please help?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have tried and when I delete off my comp it deletes off of google drive and the others. Can't find the option to only keep in the cloud. Can you please help?

I am assuming you have installed the Dropbox app on your computer. If so, just uninstall the app. Do not delete your files. The same goes for your iPhone, if applicable.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am assuming you have installed the Dropbox app on your computer. If so, just uninstall the app. Do not delete your files. The same goes for your iPhone, if applicable.

Yes but then when I want to add more files from my computer I will have to install it again. Seems like there should be option to delete from hard drive but leave in the cloud like there is with iTunes Match. I not only take photos with iPhone but also with other cameras and video camera so this is important to me. Want one central place to upload and conserve space on my comp.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes but then when I want to add more files from my computer I will have to install it again. Seems like there should be option to delete from hard drive but leave in the cloud like there is with iTunes Match. I not only take photos with iPhone but also with other cameras and video camera so this is important to me. Want one central place to upload and conserve space on my comp.

You don't need the app on your PC. Just upload them to the cloud.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You don't need the app on your PC. Just upload them to the cloud.

How do I get the files from let's say my camcorder which takes video and photos to google drive without going through my comp?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl