Backup existing notes on iCloud

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If notes is set to on in the iCloud settings then yes, it will be backed up as well as synced to your other iOS devices, if any, that uses the same Apple ID.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If they were synced say with a aol account there should be a option in notes to see what account they are on just copy n paste the notes to the iCloud account and it will sync

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

moutzu

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Re : How to backup Notes in my iPhoe 4 to iCloud?

If notes is set to on in the iCloud settings then yes, it will be backed up as well as synced to your other iOS devices, if any, that uses the same Apple ID.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Hi,

I just joined this Forum. How do I set my notes onto the iCloud? Thank you.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I just joined this Forum. How do I set my notes onto the iCloud? Thank you.

Go to Settings/iCloud and then turn on Notes. Afterwards, your notes should sync Via iCloud to any other i-device that you may have that is configured with the same Apple ID. If you want to access your notes via the iCloud website, just access www.icloud.com via a computer, click on the Mail icon and then at the bottom, you will see a folder labeled, "Notes". Click on that folder and you will see all of your synced notes.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings/iCloud and then turn on Notes. Afterwards, your notes should sync Via iCloud to any other i-device that you may have that is configured with the same Apple ID. If you want to access your notes via the iCloud website, just access www.icloud.com via a computer, click on the Mail icon and then at the bottom, you will see a folder labeled, "Notes". Click on that folder and you will see all of your synced notes.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

D, forgive my asinine question regarding syncing notes through iCloud-now I'm still on 5.0.1 and when I go to turn this ON it asks me to create an "@me.com" email address, but from what I understand this no longer exists. ???

So is the notes sync, like the contacts sync, new with 5.1.1 without needing an me.com email addy?
(yea I know, goes to show how much I pay attention sometimes:eek:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D, forgive my asinine question regarding syncing notes through iCloud-now I'm still on 5.0.1 and when I go to turn this ON it asks me to create an "@me.com" email address, but from what I understand this no longer exists. ???

So is the notes sync, like the contacts sync, new with 5.1.1 without needing an me.com email addy?
(yea I know, goes to show how much I pay attention sometimes:eek:)

If you have an iCloud account already then you should also already have a me.com account. With the introduction of iCloud, Apple opted to gradually do away with MobileMe and MobileMe's me.com accounts. Those particular me.com addresses are being phased out for iCloud.com addresses. It is unclear to me whether or not those of us with iCloud's me.com addresses will have to switch out.

In regard to your sync question, yes, notes sync just like contacts, calendars, etcetera. I've had an iCloud me.com account since I bought my 4S and have always been able to sync.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
If you have an iCloud account already then you should also already have a me.com account. With the introduction of iCloud, Apple opted to gradually do away with MobileMe and MobileMe's me.com accounts. Those particular me.com addresses are being phased out for iCloud.com addresses. It is unclear to me whether or not those of us with iCloud's me.com addresses will have to switch out.

In regard to your sync question, yes, notes sync just like contacts, calendars, etcetera. I've had an iCloud me.com account since I bought my 4S and have always been able to sync.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Ok, yes I do have an iCloud acct because I have it set to ON and everytime I charge it does a back up. SO with that being said, then I need to figure out what my me.com acct could possibly be because honestly I don't ever recall setting this up when I set up my 4S-I may have opted to not set one up because as anal as I am about keeping record of user names/pws, I would've had this info written down as well as stored in the app on my phone too:)

Thanks for the info;):)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, yes I do have an iCloud acct because I have it set to ON and everytime I charge it does a back up. SO with that being said, then I need to figure out what my me.com acct could possibly be because honestly I don't ever recall setting this up when I set up my 4S-I may have opted to not set one up because as anal as I am about keeping record of user names/pws, I would've had this info written down as well as stored in the app on my phone too:)

Thanks for the info;):)

You may have indeed opted not to get one. ;). You can quickly check by going to Settings/iCloud and then tapping on Account/Apple ID info. After that, scroll down to the bottom. If you have an iCloud email account, it will be displayed under Advanced.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
You may have indeed opted not to get one. ;). You can quickly check by going to Settings/iCloud and then tapping on Account/Apple ID info. After that, scroll down to the bottom. If you have an iCloud email account, it will be displayed under Advanced.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Thank you. I knew about settings/iCloud. Now, when I go to the iCloud acct info page, I have my apple id, password, description and storage plan info with payment info right below it. No tab for "advanced" so then nope I don't have one set up. Ok, then maybe that'll be something I might consider idk. I do keep a written copy of all my notes as well as i copied/pasted and emailed to my mail aol acct, so I may just bypass the iCloud sync for them at this point. I've had my 4S since Nov and have gotten by till now anyway;):) (I fig'd I didn't have one set like I thought because I would have definitely had my info documented somewhere for it)

Thank you again for the info:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I knew about settings/iCloud. Now, when I go to the iCloud acct info page, I have my apple id, password, description and storage plan info with payment info right below it. No tab for "advanced" so then nope I don't have one set up. Ok, then maybe that'll be something I might consider idk. I do keep a written copy of all my notes as well as i copied/pasted and emailed to my mail aol acct, so I may just bypass the iCloud sync for them at this point. I've had my 4S since Nov and have gotten by till now anyway;):) (I fig'd I didn't have one set like I thought because I would have definitely had my info documented somewhere for it)

Thank you again for the info:)

You're very welcome, Pink. Also, if you have a great deal of notes, you might love Evernote, if you're not already using it. It's my go-to note app. Notes are synced instantly and I can access them via computer, i-device, Android device or whatever. It's great. Give it a try if you haven't already. Anyway, take care and I hope you're having a splendid Sunday. :)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
You're very welcome, Pink. Also, if you have a great deal of notes, you might love Evernote, if you're not already using it. It's my go-to note app. Notes are synced instantly and I can access them via computer, i-device, Android device or whatever. It's great. Give it a try if you haven't already. Anyway, take care and I hope you're having a splendid Sunday. :)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Thanks again, I've heard of the app. I'm heading to the app store now to see if this will fit for me:)

mleiser

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I use Icloud to backup to my pc. Contrary to what it seems to say above, only the current notes since I started backing up via icloud are there. The older ones are not. Any ideas?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use Icloud to backup to my pc. Contrary to what it seems to say above, only the current notes since I started backing up via icloud are there. The older ones are not. Any ideas?

I don't use a PC so I have no idea how iCloud sync works with it other than having to use an iCloud Control Panel. Is there a setting that allows allows you to set a sync limit like there is for reminders? If so, change it to allow for all of your notes to sync, if applicable. All of my notes sync to iCloud and I've used iCloud since it was introduced with iOS 5.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
For all, relating to backing up notes, there's not an export function in icloud.com nor Mountain Lion that allows this yet. Strongly recommend everyone to do regular (I do them weekly) backups of notes, mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, and bookmarks, in case iCloud goes nutty and deletes stuff. I've lost contacts for no good reason in the past and was able to restore them properly due to backups.

iCloud: Archiving or making copies of your iCloud data

jeeeezum

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the notes enabled in my cloud on my iPhone 5s but the notes are not reflected on my iCloud account when I log in. Am I missing something?

Suheyla Afra

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
sorry for grammer, just writing this quickly.
I just wanted to write a response, just in case anyone else is reading this. Nobody at the Apple store really knew the answer I had to figure it out for myself.
My old iphone had a lot of software issues, it was then transferred to new iphone. I had to restore new iphone in order to get rid of the bugs. Also some of my notes, of course the most important ones, were not transferred to the new phone at set up. I was told to email the notes from old iphone. Well, the old iphone was not restored yet and still had problems so the emails were lost in the ethers, who knows. I didn't know until next day, should have checked email on the spot to see if sent. Anyway, so thinking they were emailed, we restored the old iphone to original settings, with most icloud data transferred, (EXCEPT the important notes, for some unexplainable reason, I've been trying to get on chat for two hours online, something must be wrong with their system, so I still don't know why, I think it's some type of glych.)
I followed some advise below, but to no avail.
I then did what the technician at Apple store advised, to restore the iphone while plugged into pc. I did that, still the important notes weren't transferred.
Now this is so weird and makes no sense,
-after restoring iphone while plugged into PC (I do not know if the restore was even needed to execute the following...so try doing it without first)
-in Settings where it lists icloud, mail, notes, reminders, phone, messages, etc.
-I clicked on Notes
-it had two selections: icloud or gmail, so weird because hotmail is technically my main email. (Again, the "mysteries" of Apple ensue)
-where it said Default account, gmail was checked. hmm, gmail? that's weird I thought
-so I switched it to icloud
-when I went back into my Notes all the notes were magically there.
I have no idea how or why, but finally at ease....

I hope this can help somebody out!
Good luck.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB