Photo Stream and Photo Storage on iPhone

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
So, I discovered something yesterday/today that I wanted to share to help others. I just upgraded to the new iPhoto program and set up Photo Stream on my iPhone. I figured I could then import some of my photos from iPhoto to the Photo Stream in order to have them safely backed up in iCloud (because photos in iCloud don't count against your iCloud storage). I assumed that these photos would then be stored in the cloud, rather than on my iPhone. What I discovered, however, was that some small portion of the photo was actually still stored on my phone, because suddenly the Photo storage on my phone increased exponentially and I found myself lacking storage space on the phone. Yikes! I had to fix that right away. So, I ended up going in to iCloud.com and resetting the Photo Stream, along with turning off Photo Stream on my phone. This deleted all the photos in my Photo Stream quickly. Then, I started fresh and just imported a handful of photos so my phone would not be clogged down with all sorts of photos that did not need to be stored there. So, my advice, when using Photo Stream, just be careful not to import copious amounts of pictures and try to use it as a back up service (as I did) because the pictures are still somehow stored on your phone and you may find your storage capacity quickly depleting.

Reactions: jalba3

ImranJ

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
iCloud backup question

how to find what mail is backed-up in the icloud ? Example, can we see messages from inbox, sent folders. Is there a a way to see what is backed-up in the icloud. According to Apple SMS,imessage are backed up in the icloud. Is there a way to see before restoring it ?

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
how to find what mail is backed-up in the icloud ? Example, can we see messages from inbox, sent folders. Is there a a way to see what is backed-up in the icloud. According to Apple SMS,imessage are backed up in the icloud. Is there a way to see before restoring it ?

You can see your mail at iCloud.com

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you have your iCloud mail set up with the Mac Mail client, you can see all the folders and everything there.

ImranJ

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses (Laura,Vermon). Can one perform selective restore from backup ?. How far back backups are kept in the icloud. If one have to restore email/calendar/notes from last week backup can we do that.?

Can we see the iMessages,SMS messages,notes, or calendar entries backed-up in the icloud. I couldn't see them when logged in icloud.com

Any information or links regarding the above will be appreciated

Jemjee

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think iCloud Photo Stream only stores your photos for 30 days and only up to 1000 photos.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can't perform a selective restore on iOS at all. Period. iCloud.com only shows you your contacts and calendar. (Documents if you are using Pages.)

Photo Stream stores your photos until you hit 1,000 photos. Currently, there is no way to remove individual photos, although you can reset your Photo stream.

ImranJ

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
iMessages and SMS in iCloud

Thanks all for the responses, Is there a way to view imessages and SMS messages in icloud backup ?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2