Quick question about photos

One_Deep

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about buying my first i Device. If I was to lose my ipod and got a new one would I be able to still view my icloud photos? or would both devices need to be side by side on the same network in order to get the photos? Most of the videos I saw on youtube was with the iOS devices right by each other.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
ICloud stores photos for 30 days, it's accessible from software on your computer and from iCloud.com and no, and idevice doesn't have to be sitting there to do it. That's just what you use to get the pics there.

On a further note, your grammar is atrocious.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

static|divide

May 10, 2011
Visit site
iCloud stores photos for 30 days, it's accessible from software on your computer and from iCloud.com and no, and idevice doesn't have to be sitting there to do it. That's just what you use to get the pics there.

On a further note, your grammar is atrocious.

Haha! That last line made me LOL, oh... I have a question about what you've stated here. I agree and understand that PhotoStream stores photos for 30 days or 1,000 photos, whichever limit it reaches first... and I do have the iCloud control panel thing set up to download my photos from iCloud/PhotoStream.

So my config goes from taking the photo, right to the Camera Roll, a second or two later it's in the PhotoStream... then finally, about 5 seconds after I have taken the original photo, it appears in my designated folder on my computer. All cool... nice. I can't wait for iOS 5.1 where we'll be able to delete those shots where we had our finger partly on the lens or leg took a photo of the wall when it pushed up against it or whatever...

The point you caught me on was:

...it's accessible from software on your computer and from iCloud.com

Was this a mistake, or something I'm missing? I don't know of any way to access my PhotoStream actually from the web-based interface; although I already mentioned I do agree and know about how to access it from the local computer once you set that up. I was wondering why there was no access to them (as far as I know, currently, the only way to view them is on the device, or on your computer if you have set that up).

Let's say, though... in the scenario that I'm traveling, and I don't have access to my home computer, and iLose <- hah or get my iPhone stolen. How do I get to my photos (without installing the iCloud software on some random computer and letting them download once I sign in)?

Simply put: How can I get to my PhotoStream from iCloud.com's website? The only mention of it that I see is in the top right options where you can choose to flush the whole collection at once and start over...

In the same vein, you can access the "Find my iPhone?" interface from the web -- they should have the same for the "Find My Friends" software, which is I'm very sure based on the exact same technology/framework as the former... I really doubt it would take much effort for Apple to include the mapping of that app just like it does with the Find my iPhone one.

My last complaint -- what happened to being able to use iCloud as a "cloud storage" place, a la "iDisk" for MobileMe? I've got a few gigs free, it'd be cool if I could store some documents or other data that I may need on the go... I guess that's what Dropbox, etc are for now. I can bet the reasoning for not having that feature/functionality is because now people can only use as much of their 5GB as they need for iPhone backups and PhotoStream. With no other way to store random other types of data, they're saving tons of space... like my 2GB just sitting out there that I can't really do anything with... essentially, it was a move decided by financial factors -- or simply put, "it saves them lots of money and resources".

Speaking of resources, one last complaint, haha... it's almost 2am and I'm getting cranky I guess... I can't utilize the three areas... Pages.. Keynote... whatever the other is, I use a PC... without buying the iOS apps -- at $10 a pop! 30 dollars? Then $5 for Garage Band and iMovies on top of that... I could drop a C-note just buying a couple of the mobile apps! Then again, I'm talking about Apple -- when has anything "Apple" not been egregiously expensive? This is the company that charges $20 for a 1"x1" wall charger, or a simple USB cable! Insanity... but that's why they're the first BILLION dollar company, I suppose. They're doing something right... even if it feels so wrong... :confused:

Last edited:

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Well blah! I didn't realize you couldn't actually access the pics on there.....that makes NO SENSE!

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Haha! That last line made me LOL, oh... I have a question about what you've stated here. I agree and understand that PhotoStream stores photos for 30 days or 1,000 photos, whichever limit it reaches first... and I do have the iCloud control panel thing set up to download my photos from iCloud/PhotoStream.

So my config goes from taking the photo, right to the Camera Roll, a second or two later it's in the PhotoStream... then finally, about 5 seconds after I have taken the original photo, it appears in my designated folder on my computer. All cool... nice. I can't wait for iOS 5.1 where we'll be able to delete those shots where we had our finger partly on the lens or leg took a photo of the wall when it pushed up against it or whatever...

The point you caught me on was:

Was this a mistake, or something I'm missing? I don't know of any way to access my PhotoStream actually from the web-based interface; although I already mentioned I do agree and know about how to access it from the local computer once you set that up. I was wondering why there was no access to them (as far as I know, currently, the only way to view them is on the device, or on your computer if you have set that up).

Let's say, though... in the scenario that I'm traveling, and I don't have access to my home computer, and iLose <- hah or get my iPhone stolen. How do I get to my photos (without installing the iCloud software on some random computer and letting them download once I sign in)?

Simply put: How can I get to my PhotoStream from iCloud.com's website? The only mention of it that I see is in the top right options where you can choose to flush the whole collection at once and start over...

In the same vein, you can access the "Find my iPhone?" interface from the web -- they should have the same for the "Find My Friends" software, which is I'm very sure based on the exact same technology/framework as the former... I really doubt it would take much effort for Apple to include the mapping of that app just like it does with the Find my iPhone one.

My last complaint -- what happened to being able to use iCloud as a "cloud storage" place, a la "iDisk" for MobileMe? I've got a few gigs free, it'd be cool if I could store some documents or other data that I may need on the go... I guess that's what Dropbox, etc are for now. I can bet the reasoning for not having that feature/functionality is because now people can only use as much of their 5GB as they need for iPhone backups and PhotoStream. With no other way to store random other types of data, they're saving tons of space... like my 2GB just sitting out there that I can't really do anything with... essentially, it was a move decided by financial factors -- or simply put, "it saves them lots of money and resources".

Speaking of resources, one last complaint, haha... it's almost 2am and I'm getting cranky I guess... I can't utilize the three areas... Pages.. Keynote... whatever the other is, I use a PC... without buying the iOS apps -- at $10 a pop! 30 dollars? Then $5 for Garage Band and iMovies on top of that... I could drop a C-note just buying a couple of the mobile apps! Then again, I'm talking about Apple -- when has anything "Apple" not been egregiously expensive? This is the company that charges $20 for a 1"x1" wall charger, or a simple USB cable! Insanity... but that's why they're the first BILLION dollar company, I suppose. They're doing something right... even if it feels so wrong... :confused:

Bahahaha! Just finished reading the last part, sorry! You do have a point! LOL

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Haha! That last line made me LOL, oh... I have a question about what you've stated here. I agree and understand that PhotoStream stores photos for 30 days or 1,000 photos, whichever limit it reaches first...

The site says that ... but funny part is I have my whole stream since day one when ios5 came out every pic is still there 30 days came and gone .. But I haven't hit 1000 pics yet so we will see.

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

static|divide

May 10, 2011
Visit site
The site says that ... but funny part is I have my whole stream since day one when ios5 came out every pic is still there 30 days came and gone .. But I haven't hit 1000 pics yet so we will see.

I can confirm that the 1,000 photo limit is enforced... I recently hit 1,000 a few days ago and it doesn't increase any further. I'm sure it works by the "first in, first out" principle, so the oldest photo would be the first to go upon taking a new one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2