Am I misunderstanding iCloud?

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I was a little bummed out today. I setup a Genius app because my iPhone 4S headphone jack isn't working right. I go in to get a replacement and get the Applecare+ added on. All they had were refurbished units so I couldn't get Applecare+ because It has to be activated on a "new Phone"..... Ok fine.
So I get my New iPhone pop in the sim and go to restore from backup via iCloud...... Well, Apparently I need wifi to restore it?

This does't make any sense to me.. That means, I should be caring around a wifi hotspot with me, or I should have everything backed up on a Macbook and carry it around with me or go home and sit and wait at my iMac or wait at my wifi network....... I thought the whole point was to be able to get most of your settings without being connected?
Why did I just pay for iCloud storage..... I'm now finding iCloud not really the best way to restore.....

Starbucks, Apple Store have wifi but its too slow..... I'd have to wait 5 hours, base off of what my phone says... So I finally got home and I'm writing this while restoring....Am I missing something?

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Um..... My iCloud backup is over 4Gb. If you want to try to restore that on 3G, then be my guest....

It only works on wifi for obvious reasons. #1 it will destroy your data plan's limit, and #2 it will take forever on 3G.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I was a little bummed out today. I setup a Genius app because my iPhone 4S headphone jack isn't working right. I go in to get a replacement and get the Applecare+ added on. All they had were refurbished units so I couldn't get Applecare+ because It has to be activated on a "new Phone"..... Ok fine.
So I get my New iPhone pop in the sim and go to restore from backup via iCloud...... Well, Apparently I need wifi to restore it?

This does't make any sense to me.. That means, I should be caring around a wifi hotspot with me, or I should have everything backed up on a Macbook and carry it around with me or go home and sit and wait at my iMac or wait at my wifi network....... I thought the whole point was to be able to get most of your settings without being connected?
Why did I just pay for iCloud storage..... I'm now finding iCloud not really the best way to restore.....

Starbucks, Apple Store have wifi but its too slow..... I'd have to wait 5 hours, base off of what my phone says... So I finally got home and I'm writing this while restoring....Am I missing something?

I never knew this but you would assume thats how it works. You need wifi to backup to the cloud. So it only makes sense you need wifi to restore from a backup in the cloud.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I was thinking this was a trickle type think for the restore and it would connect where it could.... No that I want to do it over 3G.... If I'm out or at work that pretty much sucks

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Um..... My iCloud backup is over 4Gb. If you want to try to restore that on 3G, then be my guest....

It only works on wifi for obvious reasons. #1 it will destroy your data plan's limit, and #2 it will take forever on 3G.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

Yep, 3.7Gb here. No way on earth would I even want to restore using 3G.

bmuncy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Although I see everyones point however I think that there should be an option that you can set that it will use 3G if WiFi is unavailable. Personally I have Unlimited data still and I never use wifi and the other day I noticed that my data was way out of date on iCloud because I don't connect to wifi.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll