Calendars Issue With IPhone 4S and IPad2

TModel

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I have both devices set up using the same password on the cloud. My problem is my calendar entries are not synching between the devises. If I make an entry on the IPad2, it doesn't show up on the IPhone 4S. If I make an entry on the IPhone 4S, it doesn't show up on the IPad 2.

HELP!:confused:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Make sure you're making the entry to the caldav calendar (the one that syncs to the iCloud) and not the local iPad or iPhone calendar.

Reactions: TModel

TModel

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
ICloud Calendar

Ok, I have a "Work" Calendar set up under ICloud on both devices and that's where I made my entries. It's still not synching. I'm trying another calendar app called Calvetica and it synchs on the same device with the Apple Calendar. On that app it says "Work - CALDAV" so I think I'm using the correct calendar, but am not 100% certain. There's the following set up on the Apple Calendar:

From My PC - Calendar (not using this)
ICloud - All ICloud, Calendar, Work (using Work on both devices)
Other - Birthdays (not using this)

Thanks for trying to help.

B

bonesb

Maybe I can help? Did you read the iPhone Manual? Always RTFM first. I've read lots of whiny posts that iOS devices aren't pushing or synching - the Manual states that "push" for iCloud works on WiFi only, defaulting to the Fetch schedule, so also check your devices' Fetch schedule (mine are set to 15 minutes; I actually set my devices to Push but override the iCloud accounts to Fetch at 15 minutes to reconcile my mail/calendars/contacts without having to open the apps).

If you're only any network, iCloud calendar changes aren't necessarily synched in a timely fashion with most CalDAV servers set to a minimum for polling of 15 minutes - so a change on one device can happen in up to 15 minutes to the iCloud server and another 15 minutes down to your second device. If you're just going to sit there and watch you're going to be disappointed - and the Manual also states that refreshing the Calendar app is accomplished by closing and reopening the app. Using Calvetica isn't going to change this - that app (which I also use) is just a skin or shell of the Calendar database and Calendar app.

As soon as I took the time to learn the benefits and limitations of CalDAV and what "push" really means (which are published on Wikipedia), I got to stop whining about my iOS devices and get on with it.

I use a Mac, which uses a sync engine called Syncrospector, and iOS has a similar sync engine - they're apps, and they hang sometimes. I generally reboot my device once daily, after an app installation, and if I feel something's "sticking". Regardless of what people want, smartphones need to be rebooted - I've read through a Console file in an app that reads what's going on in and iOS device, and there's a lot of services that don't start up when they ought to. So, consider rebooting your devices, and while you're waiting feel free to RTF(rick in)M. And, understand there might be a provider or iCloud data interruption - VZW has had lots of hiccups in their data network lately; if you're a Windows PC user, recall how finicky XP can get when a network is down and apply that understanding to your nifty new smartphone and iPad. :)

TModel

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Synching IPhone 4S and IPad 2

Actually I did read the manual when I received the phone, but at that time wasn't using the calendar the same way I want to use it in 2012 (at work). I did read about the way the servers push the data through on a WIFI connection this morning and set my devices to 15 minutes like you. I actually waited a couple of hours at home where I have a WIFI connection to see if the devices were going to synch up. They didn't and still haven't. However, your post made me realize how important that is and I'm going to go in tomorrow morning and recheck my settings and keep playing with it.

I do appreciate your taking the time to post a response and think that's probably where my problem is. I'll make another post tomorrow to advise how it went.

Thanks again.

B

bonesb

Just one more bit, a clarification in regard to your latest post and specific to iCloud - while on wifi, it's a notification (XMPP) that gets pushed to your iOS device(s), not the data. The data is then fetched when the app is opened or according to the Fetch schedule. For the Calendar app, there's obviously no notification, but the means of updating/refreshing the calendar data follows suit - when the app is opened or according to the Fetch schedule (up to XX minutes).

Think of this like RIM's BIS - so many are hot on BBs and "push" email, but the BIS servers poll at up to 15 minute intervals for updates to linked accounts - then pushes a notification to the registered BB device; the appropriate app then updates the device when the app is opened or according to the BIS schedule (which is embedded in their TOS, which I read when I used BBs). iCloud on iOS offers a similar polling and fetching schema not notifications and data transfer.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
bonesb,
Tks for the explanation.

FWIW: on my BB Storm2 syncing contact/calendar with Google using BIS:
Devcie to Google web site - almost immediate
Google to Device - immediate to up to several hours.

Good Luck

B

bonesb

bonesb,
Tks for the explanation.

FWIW: on my BB Storm2 syncing contact/calendar with Google using BIS:
Devcie to Google web site - almost immediate
Google to Device - immediate to up to several hours.

Good Luck

I'm not sure what your point is. I've used BBs for years, RIM indicates that BIS syncs and notifications can take up to 15 minutes, and most were instantaneous - that wasn't my point, as I was comparing pushed notifications and the resulting fetching of data. The OP was asking about calendar synching, not email or contacts - unless you know something different.

FWIW, I gave up BBs and BIS when the 3rd BIS outage cost me a major contract - the agency emailed out notifications, and the BIS backbone was down. I couldn't check my email even if I wanted to, and RIM didn't even acknowledge the outage until two days later. So, I moved on because it wasn't working for me. BTW, I was using Google Apps and it wouldn't have mattered anyway; I use an Exchange Server partly because it works and have a Office 365 backup - I learned my lesson. I like Gmail, I use it for my junk email. iCloud is OK but I don't use it for anything mission-critical. And, no offense intended, but the OP did ask for help with iCloud calendar syncs, not snarky platform comparisons. But, keeping in your vein of snark, BTW, isn't it time for a battery pull for you? :D

SunnyInFlorida

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I remember Fetch and Gopher before HotBot and Altavista. My iPhone wasn't fetching this morning to iCloud through WiFi so I looked for a solution and found this forum advice. Maybe my XMPP isn't loading the RIM's BIS according to the BIS schedule with the server poll, which may or may not be embedded in the TOS. Not sure what that means so I went to a different forum and thought I would return here with what worked for me.

I did three steps and one of them was correct. I made sure I had the most recent update, I disconnected the USB cable from the computer, and made sure I was connected to Wifi. I also changed my schedule to one hour updates but only did that to conserve battery use. I just bought my iPhone three days ago so am still learning. However, I found nothing useful in the long explanation about XMPPs, BIS scheduling, and embedded TOS. Macs were the darlings of the desktop computing revolution for their simplicity in operation. I hope Apple doesn't abandon that philosphy when pushing technology to the phone and tablet industry.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2