Hue experience

josepilot81

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. I've been noticing that I have a problem using hue lights. As everyone I use to turn my lights off with the wall switch so there is no longer way to time it back on with my iOS device. Do you know any work around for that? Is really annoying to have this half usability on an expensive light system. I've been thinking maybe changing the wall switch but not very sure what options do I have.

srkmagnus

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I've been noticing that I have a problem using hue lights. As everyone I use to turn my lights off with the wall switch so there is no longer way to time it back on with my iOS device. Do you know any work around for that? Is really annoying to have this half usability on an expensive light system. I've been thinking maybe changing the wall switch but not very sure what options do I have.
I don't have Hue light bulbs (or any smart bulb for that matter), but have done some quick research and it looks like your option is to replace the wall switch. You'll need a smart switch that will replace the existing one. From what I can tell the Samsung Smart Things switches/dimmers support Philips Hue bulbs. You can find them here: https://www.smartthings.com/works-with-smartthings/switches-and-dimmers

This will need to be hardwired into your existing wall switch. There may be alternatives, or this perhaps not the best option. So I would defer to someone with more knowledge on the subject.

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I have 3 wired switches for the recessed lighting in my living room for different logical zones or groupings of lights. We keep all 3 switches ON all the time. I have a Philips Hue Tap (round w/4 buttons) on a side table in the living room that I use to switch scenes or physically shut off the living room lights. Philips also sells a dimmer switch that runs on a watch battery where you can set different scenes (by pressing the ON button multiple times), and have fine-grain control of the brightness of any scene. Personally I feel the dimmer switch is more useful than the Tap switch, but the Tap switch is easier to understand for guests/novices. You could use 3M adhesive strips to mount the dimmer switch plate next to your physical switch for an easy transition.

The other part of the solution are scenes and automation. I have a "good night" scene which I typically trigger just before getting into bed that shuts off all the Hue lights in the house (living room, both children's bedrooms). I have a schedule setup through IFTTT to turn on the living room lights at sunset, and to turn off all the lights at 1AM, the latter serves as a backstop in case we're not home or I forget to turn off the lights with the good night scene. If you want to turn on the lights as you walk into the room but don't have a smart switch, you could always flip the physical switch OFF then ON and the lights will be on at 100%. I personally find 100% too bright and keep the lights typically around 50%.

srkmagnus

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I have all my Wired Switches Set to ON all the time, Having Hue Dimmer Switches next to them, and have the wired ones Locked with a Switch Guard like this Amerelle Switch Guard (2-Pack)-SG1IV - The Home Depot that way they don't get turned off by mistake.
The switch guards make the most sense (cost efficient too) and doesn't require re-wiring of the electrical outlet with something new. Thanks for sharing this - if I decide to purchase Hue lights then this is something I will definitely consider.

josepilot81

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
The guard switch is clever. That way you keep your smart home smart and no only when lights are switched on (basically my issue here) thanks!!!!